Sad But True

This is a very sad but true fact that some people who have oscars or other predatory fish feed poor little goldfish to them :( ! I guess to each his own but I just couldn't bring myself to own a fish that I had to feed live fish to. I browse Youtube sometimes to look at goldfish videos and of course the videos of some people feeding goldfish to their oscars comes up :o . I think it is awful but like I said..... to each his own.

because of that when ever i went to fish shop i used to buy gfs..i remember once i bought 4 gf which was kept to feed a aroana.i couldnt stand dat m bought those.but i dont hav any space left that y i gos to fish shp less.....many fries i rescued r now bit growb up.may b that da reason my tank is over crowed.i m planing to by a 50gallon tank tomorrow...let see wat happen.......coz i m going to fish shop tomorrow....n theres a 80%posibility to buy a 50gallon fish tank...if over night i change my mind dan i wont...coz i already hav three tanks lol.i m just buying it to saparate the fishes....so dat they can move easily.all da fishes i rescued will b there.

There are many who will agree - and many who will not. This particular discussion has been around the block many many many times on this site.

I realize that it is distressing to many - particularly goldie lovers - that others use goldfish as live food. Goldfish used as live food are most often not particularly healthy - and not good food for that reason. In nature there exist obligate carnivores.... so it is "natural". A tank situation is not "natural"....etc. etc. etc. It is a double edged sword.

I appreciate your distress and your wish to end suffering of any creature, but there is no way that this particular topic will ever allow everyone to come to agreement - and can lead to some pretty hot arguments. Therefore, I am going to close it. I do not want you to feel badly that you posted this - I am appreciative of your care and attention to the feelings of all creatures.

My rule of thumb is if the post will help others care for goldfish better - or provide some good information for others, then it stays. In this particular case, it will become mostly a platform for different people to post differing opinions - with no change of opinion possible for either side - and possibly some hard feelings.

Thank you for your understanding.