Red Spots

Guest baygentst

Guest baygentst

Hey we have a goldfish thats a few years old and has always been really strong. Last year we were brought this fish via our cat fishing in the neighbors pond. Regardless, the fish has always been healthy and looking great, but only in the last week or two has developed some red spotting on the tail.

The Tank:

46 gallon bowfront

magnum 360 canister

dual bio wheels

1 large goldfish

1 small bristlenose pleco (i think, regarless its a small one ~ 4" max size approx 2")

1 other small pleco (same thing ~4" max size approx 2")

gravel bed with some small plastic plants and 1 large plastic plant

1 rock scuplture (not sharp all rounded)

some river stones

The Water:

Water quality has always been decent, there have been a few times the water has spiked a little high but when it was observed we would always preform a water change, gravel vac.

I dont have testing solutions on hand to test it right now, but a quick dip test, showed the nitrites and nitrates were in range, ph was in range.

Tank temp ~74* (i think its my moms tank so im not sure)

The fish is still feeding, normal colored poop, less activity sort of hanging out (not lying on the bottom just sitting in the middle really), interacts with you if you interact with him though.

Im not sure what the problem is other than maybe water quality or stress, also his one front fin became all red and he wasent using it, but then recently hes using it again?

Any Ideas.. I hope this helps its my moms fish and i dont live there so its hard to get all the info. I told her to do a 20% or so water change ever other day and salt the tank and keep an eye on him for now.

PICTURE

http://picasaweb.google.com/thomas.baygent...045687041562050

Tom

Hopefully someone more experienced will be by soon, but for now, tell your mom to do a large water change (50-75%) add dechlorinator and test the water again. If we could get the exact readings that'd be great. Also, do NOT add salt to the tank. Salt is only effective when the water conditions are pristine (this goes for any meds). And I'm not really sure that your other fish will tolerate salt. Hopefully someone else can shed light on that.

Also it will help a mod/helper to be able to see the answers to the "Box of Questions" in a list form. It's kinda hard to see them when they are in prose form! :D Definitely try to get drop tests (most of us like API brand) and tell us the exact readings.

Guest baygentst

Thanks for the quick reply, i know salt is hard on scalessfish like the plecos, what are possible causes of red spots? They dont have anything coming out of them like anchorworm so im not sure what it could be. She was going to get an API master test kit sometime today so ill find out.

Thanks

Red spots are typically caused by an ammonia tweak. Even one day of over feeding or a lapse in water change can cause these. As Sarah says a much larger water change may be all that's needed to clear the water of them and any residue caustic ammonia. If you have never done a 100% change in that tank it may well be time to do one now. Don't rinse the filter the same day. Bacteria levels sky rocket fast when a fish has open wounds or damaged slimecoat. Best way to clear them is a large w/c. Red in fins can also be from high nitrates and a larger change also clears these. Salt the (remove the pleco to another tub) water after checking your ammonia/nitrite is at zero and nitrates are below 10.

Guest baygentst

gh; 30

kh; 60

pH; 7

nitrite: .5

nitrate: 40

I just got my mom to test the water with strips (all we had right now). Nitrites are high i told her to do a water change let it cycle a bit then test again.

Glad hes more active now.

If you show nitrites on a strip test likely you also had ammonia-you didnt say. The strip tests are not precise. Watch your pH doesnt slip any farther down too.

Have your Mom do daily w/cs for a few days or so to take the nitrites/amm back to zero and you should get the tank and fish back on track.

Guest baygentst

I dont understand this tank has been running a year, with no major changes routine cleanings etc. etc. I really dont think thoes bio wheels really do anything, we have not added any new fish, changed anything in the tank (except water and cleaning the filter every 2 weeks of course), it just doesnt seem like were growing anything on the bio wheels :wall ugg. Shes going to keep checking the quality daily and changing water.

They should be helping a lot. Maybe its time to give one biowheel a de-gunk..they can get clogged with too much of the good stuff :) Then you could do the same with the second in a weeks time..