How To Change Filters?

Guest mariap

I have bought a larger filter for my tank, the current one is too small.

My concern is, if changing the whole filter will affect my water or cycle.

I have a 20 gallon tank that has been up and running for over 4 years.

Thanks,

Maria

yes..it will affect the cycle..if you remove it all together...My advice just add the new filter..let the old filter run with the new one for at least a month...and then you can get rid of the old one...or you can use all the media in the old filter add it to the new filter...and run only the new filter..either ways the old stuff should stay in there for at least 3-4 weeks for the new filter to collect Beneficial bacteria..and that way it wont hurt the cycle.... :) ..hope this helps... :)

What kinda filters do you have? If the filter is large enough to hold media then I will put old media into new box together with new media.

Otherwise you can squeeze water from old media onto new one to transfer bacteria and let both of them run for a month.

As far as I know, as long as you stick the old filter's media inserts in the new filter, you should be ok! It's ok if the old filter insert is too small to fit properly, just stick in in the back there somewhere and the good bacteria will start to spread to the new filter media and surfaces!

Again, that's just as far as I know, and I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to correct tank maintenance (as for incorrect maintenance, I am am seasoned pro. Curse you, clueless pet store staff!). So if one of the gurus here says otherwise, for sure go with that. I have used the media piggybacking method before to establish small tanks (10gallon, 5.5 gallon) and it has worked well for me, but niether contained goldfish.

I agree with everything said so far: Either of these methods will work.

You can also set up a new tank this way; Any established/old filter media in the tank that receives good water flow will help to seed the new media. Sometimes it takes some creativity to find a way to get the old media stuffed in there, but as long as it gets good water flow it will simultaneously act as a biological filter and help seed the new filter media.