Ludwigs Tank - Problems Continue

Guest kevharris

Guest kevharris

Despite daily water changes, ammonia levels are now reaching dangerously high levels. I can change the water until I am blue in the face, yet the ammonia levels remain pretty bad even afterward. I am having to use an ammonia neutralizer to make it safe for the fish. My tank's other levels aren't changing much...and maybe I am being a little impatient, but this is wearing on my nerves.

Here are this afternoon's readings. I did a 75% water change last night.

pH: 7.7

Ammonia: 4.0

Nitrites: 0

NitrAtes: 5.0

Any suggestions? I am worried.

• Admin

Have you tested your tap water...? Reason im asking is that if your tap water has ammonia in it, it will keep showing up. How long has the tank been running?

This is an ammonia spike..will happen....thats how the cycle goes...for now I think more water changes..more frequent...if possible you might wanna do one right away...check the parameters..if ammonia still shows up...another water change should follow...do 70% each time...will be less stressful on the fish...and you could use Prime or Amquel as a dechlorinator, if not already...There is another thing you could try...if you can find BioSpira at a local fish store then that can be helpful...sometimes it works and sometimes it does not..but worth a shot...its a lil expensive..but if it works the cycle will be complete faster...I really cannot think of anything else..Maybe someone more experienced can help.. :)

Edit: Ooooh nice thought Koko :) ...didn't occur to me.... :blink:

Edited by SunshineGurl

Guest kevharris

Our tap water here has chloramine in it...so yeah, it ends up having about 1.0 ammonia from the tap....WHICH SUCKS!!

The tank has been running almost a month.