Ok.. here we go.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 10ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4-7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 68F - heater is in

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon, almost two months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Emperor 280

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 30-50% changes

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Bridget and Sebastian, 2 shubies of about 2-3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquarium salt, Stress Coat+

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, peas, flakes or crisps

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Angel has swimbladder disease.. and seems to be struggling even more to swim today

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, she usually does this occasionally but not ALL the time like today

Angel has been struggling to swim today and scooting on the bottom of the tank like crazy. She ate peas this morning just fine but it looks painful, how she swims IF she can get up to swim/get air.

I don't know what to do for her! She's had swim bladder since I got her in January.. and swims upside down, sideways and everything.. all the time. :(

Any hope?! I don't want to say she's good as dead.. I feel guilty for posting that earlier now.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/298736...a762385.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/298651...d5b0840.jpg?v=0 struggling!

Edited by ang41087

I don't have any real answers, but maybe a few tips:

Fast her for a day or two now.. You gave her the peas this morning, so now try giving her a break and see if that will clean out her system

Also, what other foods do you give her? Is there certain foods that you have noticed that cause her to become more floaty?It might be a good idea to get a notebook and just jot down what she is getting to eat each day, and then maybe you will see a pattern with a certain food, etc.. Then you know she can't handle that food

You could try some spirulina flakes.. They are supposed to be good for floaty fish.

Hope someone else can come along with more advice for you. Hang in there Angel : ) You can make it...

Hey Sue, since you are around...do you think Angel will feel better with some Epsom salts???

Ang, have you ever tried epsom on this baby???...It shouldn't hurt..however I am not asking you to add any epsom...just a suggestion...wait up until some experienced member comes by to give you advice...was just trying to think... :) ..I may be completely wrong...

I was thinking that as well J, but like you was wondering if someone else (Trinket, Pixie) suggested it. I would hate to say yes and then it be wrong. I think that it would be a temporary fix, because whatever is causing this is the first place is still there, but right now with Angel sooo sick, a temporary fix might be want you need to buy you some time.. I've used epsoms on a few fish with no negative results... If you wanted to give the epsom a try, the dose is small.. 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water... Don't give it to all the fish though... You would want to find a way to seperate Angel from the others, and dose only to her. Or you could wait for a mod to be sure : )

((AHHH I just wrote this up and the internet stopped working in the process, so I lost it all! How I love our internet system here at work! :( ))

Thanks guys. I love that there are people here that care about my silly little Angel girl! :)

I know mom doesn't have epsom salt at home, but I may pick some up on my way home. Even if a mod says not to use it on her, it's probably good to have on hand? My sister just txt me and let me know that she's doing alright. I may separate her tonight when I get home if it is advised.

I did just blow my paycheck (literally!) at the LFS before work.. bought two more filters (now I'll finally have that 10x filtration that I need!) and two 60 gal air pumps, one for each tank. That should make for ample bubbles! :D Thank goodness I shouldn't have to spend anymore money on fish/aquarium supplies for a while! I'm broke! Hah.

I love my babies too much.

And yes Sue, my new kids are adorable! I'll have to post the newer two.. Cheeto and Cali. I didn't say anything, I guess it was an impulse "save fish" weekend to try and cover my coping over the loss of Nemo. Cheeto may end up looking an awful lot like him, too.. we'll see! And my pearlies are precious.. Mitzi hides a lot though, but comes out with Boo a little more each day...

There's no harm going ahead with the epsom at all. There are 2 occasional possible side effects I can think of with it, one is to raise gH, not a problem for most people and the other it can cause diarrohea in some fish as its a diuretic/has a laxative effect but I have never noticed either side effect and you prob wont either. It may even be these side effects are only seen with much higher dosage levels than the amount recommended here. Are there no other symptoms Ang? Just the floating? No little red spots or frayed fins?

Trinket, thank you!! So much!

I'll make sure to pick up the epsom when I get off in an hour.

From when I watched her this morning, there were no red spots that I recall, or frayed fins. She seems more tired than usual, swimming is a struggle, more so than before. For months now there were times I'd randomly catch her nearly "spiraling out of control" swimming to the top, would get to the top and get some air (usually upside down) and swim back down. Today I noticed her do this twice and each time nose-dive down to the bottom again, and once she'd open her mouth bubbles of air would escape.

Now.. I may be able to get a picture, but she does have what I guess I can call a pinched mouth. She does eat, but shakes like a dog in order to get it to actually go into her mouth. Again, I bought her this way. I was so distraught that day that the fantail I originally wanted was gone that I didn't really inspect beforehand I guess, and thought she was really pretty with her long fins.

Aw but she is pretty. She is beautiful. That blue under white color is very prized in a fish too and as you say gorgeous long fins. Is her front pectoral fin always out far like that (2nd pic first post) or does it move normally when she swims? Was she bottom sitting for some time before she became so floaty? Can you see if one side of her body looks more swollen than the other (take a look from the top).

Angel looks like she tries to use her pectoral fins but for the most part they barely move, they're pretty far out.

She didn't bottom sit (that I recall) when I first had her. Then I started noticing it and began freaking out, thought she was dying.. but it turns out that some goldfish just do that. And I remember Sue and I talking in a thread once - you just know your fish at a point.

Apparently my message didn't get through.. and mom fed my fish tonight before I got home from work.

The MediGold had arrived today and I wanted to start everyone on that (I'm paranoid of parasites since the whole Nemo thing). Ughh.. guess I'll start it in the morning.

Angel actually seems to be able to get up a little easier now than she did earlier. She's still in with the big guys, but I did buy epsom if that's the unanimous vote!

**Edit: she doesn't seem to have a more bloated side on her body. Right now she's just bottom sitting and gulping like always.

Edited by ang41087

Ok, so I tried the MediGold this morning on all of my fish.. after noticing it was in pellet form and kinda big.

My little guys - interested, and I think one or two got it down.

Sebastian - "what in the world?" *keeps swimming*

Bridget - sucks up anything

Angel - it's too big for her lil deformed mouth! :(

BUT the good news is she's cruisin' this morning like before, she can get up and swim a little bit again. (the heater has been on since yesterday morning, and its now at 72 degrees - maybe that had something to do with her iffyness?) I still feel the need to give her this MediGold though, and possibly try this epsom later today.

For how long would she have to be in QT for this epsom treatment?

Edited by ang41087

If you are feeding Medigold to your fish you must feed Medigold only and exclusively and keep feeding it until the 30 days is up. That is the strength of antibiotic build up that must be in the fish to knock out some of the bacteria it may or may not be effective against.

Medigold is for internal bacterial infections, not parasites. It should not be fed to fish that do not need antibiotics and it would be best therefore to feed Angel in the QT with the epsom. You can use epsom for one week or less if its effective at reducing bloat and getting her to swim upright before that.

Ok so I should QT her tonight, start epsom and ONLY feed her the MediGold? Or do we think the MediGold wouldn't help her much?

Either way, I'm going to have to cut those pellets like crazy, her mouth being the way it is, she can't fit anything close to the size a normal goldfish can.

**And I remember reading on the Goldfishconnection website that it should be fed to new fish? That's why I thought it'd be ok to feed them, and Sebastian and Bridget had some white poo for a while, that I read was associated with some kind of infection.

I just don't wanna hurt them!

Edited by ang41087

I'm glancing at GoldfishConnection.com real quick..

Should I purchase ProGold and Spirulnia Flakes? It says "Spirulina Flakes help reduce the problem of upside down floating caused by constipation." Angel I don't think is constipated, but could it help? Would it hurt to feed this to all my fish?

Its hard for me to find anything that sinks around here.. I do have pellets from when I first bought my goldfish but they were way too large, and I have never ate them.. they kinda just sit in my little goldfish box. :)

Right now its Tetra Flakes, Tetra Crisps and MediGold, JumpStart.. or peas. That's all I've got.

I love Pro Gold and Spirulina from GFC! Both of them sink too! Actually I love all the GFC foods.. There is just soooo much of them though, that you don't even slightly use them all up, and then before you know it 6 months is up and it's time to replace the food!! B

Quarantine Angel. Something to also consider is that your shubs may be chasing a much slower fantail around trying to breed. This often happens when there are changes in water temp. Feed her two-three very small portions of the medigold each day, a couple of pellets at a time that have been soaked for about ten minutes. Feed at least for thirty days. Make sure your quarantine tank is a least ten gallons and has proper filtration, really closely monitor your water conditions. I would go with the epsom salt . This works as a great laxative. You said you bought extra filters but be careful because you can cause too much current which will stress your fish even more.

The rock is a bubbling ornament that came with my 55 gallon when I bought it from a guy on craigslist. It's pretty nice.

I'll take care of her. :) She's doing better. I'm glad you mentioned ten minutes to soak the MediGold, she may be able to eat it then!

Update! Angel is doing well. I'm so happy, she's such a fighter! She even seems to be swimming straighter, believe it or not! :D

To go slightly off topic..

I'm trying to add variety to their diet. I know that the Tetra flakes aren't very good, and I picked up Hikari Wheat Germ yesterday, a friend suggested that would be good for Angel as well. Only problem I see is that it floats and she has soo much trouble due to the fact her mouth is pinched to a mini size. My little ones did better than she did! I'm not sure if she ever got any down. Sebastian didn't touch it either, they don't seem very crazy about it like they are with their flakes.

So.. now I have Tetra flakes, peas, MediGold, Jump Start, Tetra crisps.. and I just ordered ProGold and Salad Supreme from Goldfishconnection.com.

Too much variety? lol I guess there isn't such a thing.

I read the reviews and I thought it'd be a wonderful idea, although I'm broke! I want them to be happy and healthy, and I'm quite bummed that I've soo much of this Tetra flake stuff!

I almost went about buying more Hikari, maybe the flake or something.. but I haven't found it in the stores yet.

Do you all recommend Hikari over goldfish connection's products or vise versa?

Other than that, the four little guys moved up into their full-time home and are doing wonderfully. The big guys are chillin in the 55 gallon and loving the bubble wall like there's no tomorow.

I did purchase a bubble disk though, I believe I noticed Daryl liked them.. but mine's not doing very well. I even upgraded my air pumps, and it's kinda bummin me out.. I'm beginning to believe that a little blue airstone would do a better job! :(

Ok.. so I just went on and on.. off topic, I know. But a lot of it still has to do with Angel's health! :)

I am so glad that Angel is doing well, I have been following this thread closely! (hmm....wonder why!)

Did you scrub the air-disc really well? Perhaps there is some build-up of dust or something in the pores. But I don't really know. I have a ceramic sphere and it works pretty well, and I never liked the look of those big blue disks sitting at the bottom of a tank!

Keep us updated on Angel!

Definitely! She's swimming by that huge blue disk that's barely bubbling right now, as I type. :) I'll try that scrubbing that you mentioned, Sarah. I'm willing to try anything! :D

That's what I love about my room set-up now. I sit on my bed and there they are! All seven fish! Two tanks! I can watch them forever.

Thanks guys! :heart

Edited by ang41087

I'm trying to add variety to their diet. I know that the Tetra flakes aren't very good, and I picked up Hikari Wheat Germ yesterday, a friend suggested that would be good for Angel as well. Only problem I see is that it floats and she has soo much trouble due to the fact her mouth is pinched to a mini size. My little ones did better than she did! I'm not sure if she ever got any down. Sebastian didn't touch it either, they don't seem very crazy about it like they are with their flakes.

So.. now I have Tetra flakes, peas, MediGold, Jump Start, Tetra crisps.. and I just ordered ProGold and Salad Supreme from Goldfishconnection.com.

Too much variety? lol I guess there isn't such a thing.

I read the reviews and I thought it'd be a wonderful idea, although I'm broke! I want them to be happy and healthy, and I'm quite bummed that I've soo much of this Tetra flake stuff!

I almost went about buying more Hikari, maybe the flake or something.. but I haven't found it in the stores yet.

Do you all recommend Hikari over goldfish connection's products or vise versa?

If you're accumulating a bunch of foods that aren't working for one reason or another, one good way of putting them to use is making gel food out of them. Then, you can freeze it and just take out enough for a day or week, however, you choose to work it and it will last much longer than the 6 month expiration date and you get a sinking food that will fit all sizes and shapes of mouths. Pay attention when feeding it though as some fish may not tolerate it and get floaty. Four out of five of mine don't have a problem with it, but my ranchu just goes nose down for a few hours after she eats it. I find the frozen foods to work best with my goldies. Lots of protein, no air and no floating. And I feed broccoli and oranges from time to time and they're good.

Thank you! :D I'm thinking about trying oranges.. but my fish were a little freaked by the broccoli when I tried that. I eventually gave in and began picking it apart for them lol the clip is just too foreign for them.

I have been thinking about doing the gel food. I also feel bad, mom bought the Tetra flakes a while back when I was running low on food (obviously before I joined this forum!) and now I hear that they're just garage.. and I have a TON.

I think it's time for the off topic ninja.....

:BTT

They aren't complete garbage.......mostly :P Just throw them in your gel food. It can't hurt, right?