Goldfish Growing and Space Requirements

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need a minimum of ten times the amount of water you've got to provide adequate filtration for goldfish.

meaning your 15 gal tank needs 15x10= 150gph worth of filtration. check on the box for your filter to see how much water it turns over in an hour.

gph stands for gallons per hour. again, the 10x is just the minimum. you can go beyond that as well.

I think you may have asked this somewhere, but my personal feeling is that they prefer it if there is enough space for it (ten gallons per fancy). If not, then they would prefer the space to themselves so they can remain healthy.

i agree with the afore mentioned comment.

i think in a spacious environment (such as oliver black's pool pond), they will display schooling behaviors.

however, we perceive that our fish would feel alone in a tank by itself, therefore it's not the fish that feels lonely...

but us as onlookers that impose our feelings upon the fish.

i think all of my fat fish would probably be more happy if they could have all of the goodies they're fed to themselves. :exactly:rolleyes:

I agree if you have the room by all means have more fish but if you can not provide 10 plus gallons to EACH fish then one well be much better off alone. No matter how many times you ask it the answer well not change.

There are well over 100 fish in my pool-pond and they all school.... broken down into 2 primary schools... all the biggies and all the smaller fish. I have not seen any fish be alone (away from the school) for more than 15 seconds... either they return to the school or the school moves to them.

mw

As has been stated many times you need to get them in 10 gallon PLUS each for both of them to reach their full potential and live long lives.

Here is you old post the answers well still be the same as before. Nothing has changed.

Goldfish need 10 plus gallons EACH.

Hello GF'97. Fancies can reach surprisingly large sizes with good care - I visited a fishery this weekend and saw hundreds of orandas and ryukins of 9/10 inches.

Hidr is absolutely right about space requirements - no amount of new posts or re-phrasing the question is going to get you the answer you want.

I know that when you are young it is hard to feel you cannot have what you want, especially when you are excited about having pets. But in truth, you have been advised several times now about the best conditions for your fish and 2 of them in a 15 gal really isn't cool fro more than a couple of months. OK?

You could try getting a rubbermaid tub if you can't afford a larger tank yet - that's what many of us do when we have a sick fish or want more and don't have the tank space ;)

you need a minimum of ten times the amount of water you've got to provide adequate filtration for goldfish.

meaning your 15 gal tank needs 15x10= 150gph worth of filtration. check on the box for your filter to see how much water it turns over in an hour.

gph stands for gallons per hour. again, the 10x is just the minimum. you can go beyond that as well.

my goldfish have 200 gallon per hour

If I have a 15 gallon tank with 200 gph is it okay that there are two fantails in there? I mean I know it is overstoking but if I have 200gph then does it make it okay to have two fantails in there?

Hi there,

I seem to recall that you have asked this question already, and I would hope that you know the answer by now. Basically, no, it is not ok to have two fantails in a 15 gallon tank, no matter how great your filtration system is.

15 gallons is great for one fantail, but not two. Keeping one fantail alone in the tank will not cause it to be lonesome. I would suggest returning the second fantail to the shop, or finding another home for it. If you insist on keeping both fantails in the 15 gallon despite everyone's advice and warnings, it is very likely that one will die. When I was younger, I made the same mistake, thinking that stuffing too many fish in one tank was ok if I changed the water often and had a good filter. You have to realize that keeping a goldfish alive for a short amount of time (a few years is a short amount of time for a fish that can live for ten years and beyond) in an improper tank is not really responsible and not much of an achievement at all. Not only is it uncomfortable for the fish and cruel as well, but it is a silly way to waste your own time and money. All this work you plan to do to keep the fish would be a futile effort if they are only going to live a year or two in an overcrowded space.

I guess you need to think seriously about what you want out of this tank of fish. Do you want a pretty decoration, or a hobby?

If you want something pretty, then get yourself ten fancy guppies or balloon mollys. If you like the orange colouring of goldfish, both the mollys and guppies can be found in pretty orange colours. They are cute, active little fish that grow to less than two inches each and will make the tank very lively. Also, you will not have to constantly work on keeping the tank a proper place for them to live with twice-weekly water-changes and constant chemistry monitoring, because it will be properly stocked.

If you want to start a hobby; that is, become a serious fish hobbyist who is interested in keeping happy, healthy fish in a responsible manner, then take one fantail out of the tank.

It's as simple as that.

I hope that helps clear some things up for you! :)

OK Goldfish 1997 - I have just copied the opening questions of your last 5 topics for you to have a think about.

Is it true that goldfish will grown to the size of their tank?
Is 15 gallosn big enough for one 3 inch fantail and one 2 inch fantail? I know it should be 20 but how long will it take them to outgrow their tank? they have both grown about 1 inch in one-two months
Are goldfish a schooling fish? do they prefer to have a tank mate?
So my black moore is 3 inches in his 15 gallon tank, and goldy is in the 15 gallon tank with him and she is 2 inches. How much more will my black moore grow?
If I have a 15 gallon tank with 200 gph is it okay that there are two fantails in there? I mean I know it is overstoking but if I have 200gph then does it make it okay to have two fantails in there?

It's plain to see that you're just asking the same question over and over and over again!!!

Many people have answered your enquiries about space and filtration requirements for your fish. The answers are clear - they have not, nor will not change, no matter how many times you keep trying different angles. What will change however is that people will start to get very annoyed. So, I think this should be the last attempt to get approval for 2 fish in a 15gal, OK?

I will merge all these threads together and anymore topics on this same, now very tired, subject will be made invisible.

That sounds about right, then. I usually like more than 10X an hour. If you have particularly small fish, or fish like Bubble Eye fish, though, you will have to cover the intakes more carefully, however.

Hi there,

I seem to recall that you have asked this question already, and I would hope that you know the answer by now. Basically, no, it is not ok to have two fantails in a 15 gallon tank, no matter how great your filtration system is.

15 gallons is great for one fantail, but not two. Keeping one fantail alone in the tank will not cause it to be lonesome. I would suggest returning the second fantail to the shop, or finding another home for it. If you insist on keeping both fantails in the 15 gallon despite everyone's advice and warnings, it is very likely that one will die. When I was younger, I made the same mistake, thinking that stuffing too many fish in one tank was ok if I changed the water often and had a good filter. You have to realize that keeping a goldfish alive for a short amount of time (a few years is a short amount of time for a fish that can live for ten years and beyond) in an improper tank is not really responsible and not much of an achievement at all. Not only is it uncomfortable for the fish and cruel as well, but it is a silly way to waste your own time and money. All this work you plan to do to keep the fish would be a futile effort if they are only going to live a year or two in an overcrowded space.

I guess you need to think seriously about what you want out of this tank of fish. Do you want a pretty decoration, or a hobby?

If you want something pretty, then get yourself ten fancy guppies or balloon mollys. If you like the orange colouring of goldfish, both the mollys and guppies can be found in pretty orange colours. They are cute, active little fish that grow to less than two inches each and will make the tank very lively. Also, you will not have to constantly work on keeping the tank a proper place for them to live with twice-weekly water-changes and constant chemistry monitoring, because it will be properly stocked.

If you want to start a hobby; that is, become a serious fish hobbyist who is interested in keeping happy, healthy fish in a responsible manner, then take one fantail out of the tank.

It's as simple as that.

I hope that helps clear some things up for you! :)

but my two fantails love eachother

That may be, but look at what you have written in your own siggy :P

The best thing you can do for them is to sepearte them or buy them a larger tank. They do seem to form bonds, but not in the way that many mammals do. If you seperate them, they will be ok.

Hi there,

If, as you say, your two fish love each other, then think of how upset they will be if one of them dies or gets ill from being in a too-small tank. But honestly, I agre with Chrissy Bee. We love to anthropomorphize our fish, but really, if you seperate them, they will be ok.

What exactly is the obstacle in getting a larger tank? If it's money, then you have lots of options. As Hidr has said, christmas is right around the corner. Asking for a larger tank would be a great idea. 30 gallons would be great, and even brand-new they are not too expensive. And the two fish will be fine living together in the 15 gallon for the two months until then. You could also look and see if your city has an Aquarium Club. Try asking at a local fish store or even google "[your city] aquarium club" and see if you can find anything. Many clubs have auctions or buy-and-sells online, and people are constantly looking to sell tanks. Just a few weeks ago I bought a used 35 gallon tank for thirty dollars. If it's space, then I think you have to work with what you have and decide what you want to do.

I have the feeling that you do want to do what is right for your fish. I know it can be hard to accept that we can't have things the way we want, but in the end, I think you will be happier for doing the best thing for your fish.