What Colors Change?

I have noticed that some of the colors of goldfish like black, blue, or even chocolate start to change as the fish ages. My Fiona was once blue and she is now white. Does anyone know of some goldfish that have actually kept their color? Which ones are most likely to change?

All colors of black - derivitives of the black gene which include blue, chocolate and green - are the most unstable of colors in goldfish. There are a FEW lines of fish out there that hold their colors, but fish have been interbred to such a degree that you have no way of knowing if the fish is going to hold color or not.

In general, all fish will have the colors "move" around their bodies in various patterns as they grow through life. RedCap expressions are a pretty set line - and if you have a solid white with a solid red cap, most likely you will have a redcap for life.

REd and white may become all red or all white. Solid red will most likely stay red.

If a blue or black fish is showing any sort of bronzing or yellowing of any scales, particularly the stomach, you can almost guarantee that the fish will, at some point in it's life, revert to yellow, orange or red with or without white. If your fish is black and red, you can almost guarantee that within a short time the fish will be red.

If your black or blue fish has nothing but silver scales on the stomach, most likely the fish will revert to white later in life - with no yellow or red color.

Almost all black goldfish derive from the original English Black Moor - a long bodied, cold hearty fish that carried deep velvety black throughout life. These were crossed into all other lines to bring the black. Unfortunately, the black is easily expressed in a fry, fairly easily expressed in a young fish, but rarely is seen in a fish older that 3-4 years.

I have often said this - and I think it bears repeating. Do not ever buy a goldfish because of a specific color pattern. The pattern will change. Do not buy a goldfish because of any specific color that is a derivitive of black - unless you like the fish well enough that you would be happy if the fish were to go white or red.

Get information Daryl. I noticed that my calico is holding all of its black even its moustache. All the orange goldfish with black that I have bought have turned all orange in a month. My black moor started to change to a golden orange.

That is such a nice piece of info Carol....I have read your posts regarding colors in the past...and so true...My chocolate baby lionhead has yellow or bronze scales near the tummy portion...I am pretty sure this guy is going to change into a pretty gold color...and my red cap, although had a solid red color, has started to lose the red...I am sooo positive withing a few months I will have a lemon head... :D ...oh and then there are a lot of orange streaks now on her white body..who knows she might even be an orange baby in future... :D ..but they still look gorgeous..and to me will be perfect in future too.. :) ..

Luvmyfish..that is a gr88 change in Fiona..but I love her.. :)

Blue like on a calico or shubunkin is very stable. The further out the black pigment is on the fish the less stable it is.

Calico black on the epidermal layer tends to be very stable and in some cases increases with age.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

My white one is the only one so far that color has not changed. Even my calico has lost a lot of the black and red and is more orange and white now.

My blue is still blue but I have only had him about 3 weeks now so I am sure it well change.

This is why I never buy a goldfish based on its color. I look for healthy, then body shape and fins. Last thing I concider is color.