Hermit Crabs

Shamu23

You mean hermit crabS. You can't have just one. They're very social animals and you'll need minimum of 3-4 to get them exhibit normal behaviour. As for the tank, I say a 2 feet with sand substrate and plenty of "toys" will suffice :)

Edited by d_golem

I got my crabs a few months ago and JSRTIST helped me get things set up right..

She suggest a 20 Gallon Long as my first tank.. It worked out nicely.. : ) There are a LOT of things the crabs need, and it ends up being rather expensive. Jenny explained sooo much of it to me,. Here's part of it:

Just a side note on something you'd mentioned?hermit crabs are NOT easy pets, and certainly not easier than fish! They have extremely specific needs, and most pet store staff can't even scratch the surface on telling you proper needs. For example, they shouldn't live in painted shells, shouldn't live in those little plastic critter keepers, and shouldn't eat the processed crab food in a bottle that they sell you. Just a quick example?mine live in a 60 gallon glass aquarium with lids, three kinds of substrate, fully filtered salt and freshwater pools, a digital hygrometer/thermometer combo to keep tabs on their conditions, and they are fed a different food every night!! Even in doing that I am not always successful in keeping them. And land hermit crabs SHOULD LIVE 20+ years in captivity...

Just like the public is largely misinformed on proper goldfish care, they are so about crab care too. (You can visit the crustacean subforum and see pics of my setup.)

And here is my thread when I started..

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...ic=70710&hl=

LOL when I see these kinds of posts I tend to pull those old topics back up. Hermits are really amazing animals but require a whole lot more than a lot of people realize before they decide to get them. I wish I'd had half the knowledge I have now back when we first got them.

But even now, knowing what I know and having the proper equipment and widespread knowledge on how to keep them, I still am not always successful. Recently I lost one of my favorites who I'd had for many years, and I stilll don't know why. I still can't really talk about her. :(

But let us know if you do decide to get them someday (when you ARE allowed to set up more tanks!) and we'll help you out!