Anyone Keeping Nymphs?

ichthius

Is anyone out there keeping Nymphs? They're like a comet with a fantail"s body.

What do you like or dislike about them?

I'm thinking about buying a box of US (cold hardy) produced fish.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

I like the hardiness factor too, that's what got me interested in them. The fancy fantails these guys come out of are just as cold hardy I think it would be nice to see a few single tails in with the twin tails. My goal is to find fish that are hardy to turn all these "koi ponds" people put in that are way to small for koi into goldfish ponds as they should be.

If you know of anyone with any grade of Tamasaba in the US please PM me the details.

Best fishes

David

I've got tons of them, to many infact, anyone in search of wakins? They also get to large for the smaller preformed ponds.

I guess I'm after the diversity of form and I never really see the nymphs for sale, maybe their just not worth it and that's why they are not available.

What do you keep in your pond?

Best fishes

David

www.goldfishgarge.com

No pond here :) but if I were to ever get one, I'm not gonna bother with single-tailed, which IMO while need a lot of space are better appreciated from the side. My ideal pond fish would be TVR, wakin, dragon-eye pom-pom, and butterfly dragon-eye.

I've got all those in the pond but the pom-pom, can't find them. I've got a couple bubble eyes out there two.

So what do you keep in your Aquaria?

Best fishes

David

From "Goldfish Varieties and Tropical Aquarium Fishes" William Innes 1917:

"The Japanese Nymph Goldfish:

The Nymph is virtually a single-tailed Fringetail (what he calls fantail/ryukin/veiltail, he calls pearlscales Barnacled). The anal fin and tail are single. The latter, instead of drooping, should be carried out straight, and well spread. This is usually a "sport" from the fringetail stock. Although seldom deliberately bred, fine specimens are very attractive in an aquarium and are often retained by fanciers. In their active movements, as well in points of conformation, they make a pleasing contrast with the double-tailed varieties. One of the principal features is the dorsal fin, which should be large and carried quite erect, as described for the fringetail. The body requirements are also the same."

I put a snap shot of the book on my blog.

Best fishes

David

Goldfish are so old too, this book has twice as much information as the average modern goldfish book, it is a real treasure. I tend to appreciate the older historical varieties as I think some of the modern versions have been taken to extreme in exchange for vigor and balance.

But that's the great things about goldfish and dogs, there's something for everyones tastes.

What do you Like?

Best fishes

David

I tend to appreciate the older historical varieties as I think some of the modern versions have been taken to extreme in exchange for vigor and balance.

I agree with the vigour & balance comment :) I was quite shocked to learn that ranchus in Indonesia only have 3-4 years average lifespan.

I like ranchus, sideview ones. TVR also like but no good ones here in Perth. If they got any halfway decent ones they charge the price way up. Lately I've been fascinated by how commons/comets/shubunkins grow "humpy" when they get big. Looks very powerful.

I think the large fish coming out of the tropics have significantly shorter life spans compared to fish that are grown at much cooler temperature. These large show fish that people spend a couple hundred dollars do live as long as something you've grown up over the years.

Take a fish from hong kong as a little fish slow it's growth down and put hardy growth on it and it will live much longer than a 6 inch fish from the same source. The little fish is two months old, the huge fish is 6 months old. I think rapid growth of an inch a month is good for the first bit but after that you're burning the candle at both ends.

By humpy do you mean like this:

http://...................blogspot.com/2008/10...l-sarassas.html

These are a couple of fish I pulled out of a friends goldfish infested koi pond.

The big humpy female weighs a kilo and is ~14 inches to the tip of her tail.

Best fishes

David