Bottom Sitting

seheap

My big ryukin Dragon is bottom sitting. I took tests yesterday and they were perfect. So I thought perhaps I would just wait until tomorrow to see if he was just...I dunno....But he is doing it again. He doesn't do it all the time, just every once in a while he will wedge himself under my melon sword and sit there. k-worried.gif

Also he has been flashing lately as well...do you think it might be parasites? I posted last week (I think) about a missing scale and Trinket helped me with the flashing thing. We decided that it could be because there wasn't enough oxygen in the tank, so I put my airstone back in (it was in the QT tank). He stopped flashing so much, so I thought he was ok. I guess not.

help please

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? roughly 10ppm maybe about 15ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2 or 8.3. It's in between 8.2 and 8.4 but definitely closer to 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 74-76o

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gal (really about 18) running for three months.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? AquaClear 150g

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 50% once a month 100%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 - 5in and 3in

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime at water changes, and crushed coral in the filter (This is a new addition, do you think this could be affecting him?)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day - Hikari Marine A, Peas, Freeze Dried Shrimp, Spinach, Grapefruit or Spinach

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Sitting beneath my melon sword, he is eating normally. He also flashes as mentioned above

Edited by ryukin girl

Since about January. I bought him from p*tsmart and he was 1in. I would guess he's about a year old or so.

Actaully, yes! My roommate likes to turn off the heat when I'm not looking! Do you think I should put my 50watt heater from my QT set-up into my tank?

Yes. Stable temp is important. Especially big fish can get chilly and bottom sit..dont want him come down with ich..(the one parasite that can arrive out of nowhere)

Ok thanks, Imo! You are always so helpful and direct! I think that's the best part, no unnecessary info or things that aren't important right away, just the cold hard facts!

As soon as I hit post, I'm adding the heater. I think I will set it to 75 as this is pretty much the temp my tank hovers around. I was going to give the heater to Steve for my puffer at home...oh well! guess I have to buy another one!

Thanks again!

I'm looking at him now and he seems to be doing well. I don't think I've seen him flash all day OR bottom sit. The tank is now sitting at 76-78o. I think it's good.

I just saw him yawn! It was so cute!