Stupid Cyst Thing....

So, Chester's weird side cyst has come back.

Actually, it came back a while ago, but I slapped some BioBandage on him and hoped that would take care of it.

But... it hasn't.

Sorrow!

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it, actually....

Info:

It's not big -- in fact, it's *exactly* the size of one of his scales, because it appeared on a missing-scale bare patch after the infamous Minx Has Her Fish In Bleach episode.

It's pink, and raised, but doesn't appear to be getting any bigger.

When it "vanished" a few weeks ago, the spot it was on didn't re-grow a scale, it just stayed pink.

It doesn't appear to be filled with pus or anything nasty.

It doesn't appear to itch or bother him in any way.

Two weeks and change on MediGold does not seem to have fixed the problem.

Me slaving over their water to ensure it is perfecter than perfect does not seem to have fixed the problem.

BioBandages do not seem to have fixed the problem.

Ideas?

Could it maybe just be a benign tumor thingy?

When goldfish lose scales, they often don't grow back the same color or texture (matte vs metallic), so are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

Also, if you could post photos that would be great.

We do need the tank stats and schedule hun. Even though your fish is most likely kept in perfect conditions and this is more of his issues he arrived with, its a rule in this forum.

::: twirls :::

Let's see let's see.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 15

[*]Ph Level, Tank 7.8ish?

[*]Ph Level, Tap 7.6ish?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? I'm beginning to think my aquarium thermometer is broken, but regardless, it isn't warmer than 65.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, three months.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin Biowheels 250 and 100 (I think. The littlest biowheel, whatever that is.)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Twice a week 10%, once a week 50%, 100% monthly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Three (plus three babies) -- biggish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, varies between flakes, gel food, table scraps....

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Nope! Well, the babies. Do they count?

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Nope! I do use some sort of API Leaf Thing for the plants, though.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Chester's tail is still regrowing and Sirius' eye is still unpuffing, but nothing new besides the cyst reappearance.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope!

My camera ran out of batteries taking photos of the frylets, but I'm going to get more as soon as it's not three in the morning ;) and then I'll have pics of the cyst. It looks just like it did before, though.

Photos and video!

We have a pic from the side:

IMG_81552.jpg

(And no, he hasn't grown an eyeball out of the top of his head. That's Sirius. Although how awesome would that be!??!)

A pic from the front so you can see how far out it sticks:

IMG_8157.jpg

And a little video so you can see what it looks like under normal lighting:

th_MVI_8159.jpg

And... it double posted somehow.

There's no Delete Post button anywhere, is there?

No. I shall just edit this one away, very casually.......

Edited by Minx

sorry Minx!

Great pic! Although the eyeball did have me confused for a moment there.. :o

First, is his mouth continually stuck or is it just in that vid while he was eating? I think as well as the genetic things going on with your sweet fishy he also has internal tumors. Its hard to say if they are benign or not but generally when they start erupting from the sides they would be infections. So the pus that is released and trying to find its way out of his body is going to be released back in the water and can re-infect. Those babies are at risk.

If it was possible you should treat Chester separately. I would suggest something like Maracyn Plus if this is a vibrio strain but the mouth.... can you post back about his mouth?

Oh, no worries about his mouth -- I'm sorry, I didn't even *think* about that.

He was chewing on a huge piece of gel food at the time.

That's his "I'm a pig, but I'm a stubborn pig, and no amount of flashy pictures on your part are going to convince me to stop eating" face.

Not, you know, his "I'm suffering from some sort of insane mouth issue" face.

;)

So forgetting the mouth -- Should I quarantine him? I'm a little nervous about putting him on meds at the moment, just because it seems like he's been on a TON recently. (Maracyn II for the pineconing and bleeding, and then once I reintroduced him to the main tank they were being treated with... whatever that good-smelling herbal stuff that comes in the blue bottle is..., and then they were on MediGold.) But he's salt intolerant, as far as we can tell, so I suppose meds are the only option?

Well I do understand that. Its your choice as owner hun. But salt aint going to work here for sure so its either strong immunity and lots of vitamins and fins crossed or a medication that treats specifically for cyst type eruptions like the sulfa antibiotics. The most potent of which seems to be Maracyn Plus. Its quite different from Maracyn 2 which IMHO many bacteria have such high resistance to now.

Silly bacteria! Why must they evolve!?!?

Thanks Imo! I'll go out and get a rubbermaid this weekend to QT him in. (Bette Davis continues to live it up in my original quarantine tank, and I suppose it's only through the grace of the Aquarium Gods that I haven't needed it yet for an actual illness.)

My poor baby. If, hypothetically, the meds don't work, will I be able to release him back into the tank? Or will he always sort of be a time bomb of grody pus and bacteria?

Or will he always sort of be a time bomb of grody pus and bacteria?

If the right antibiotic is chosen that attacks the main group of bacteria infecting Chester his cysts should start to recede. Unfortunately it is always difficult deciding which ones are perfect. Maracyn Plus is a sulfa drug with a potentiator meaning a very powerful sulfa drug. Or any sulfa drug, Tri-Sulfa is another one. The sulfa antibiotic group were used in WW2 to treat wounded soldiers who had pus and gore sores. Medigold does contain a little sulfa but it isn't potentiated- not as strong. I think you could also feed your little soldier a course of Jungle anti-bacterial (also sulfa) or Goldfish Utopias anti-bacteria food (same) - since he is affected inside and out a 2 way treatment would be best. Good thing about Jungle anti-b pellets is they are cheaper than Medigold. I think you should attack this with both food and water treatment. And yes if the cysts recede and stop oozing you can return him to his family of course :)

Trinket, since I already have Medigold, should I treat him with it again?

It has all those warnings about only using it when you absolutely need it or they'll become resistant to the meds, and he and the rest of my boys just went through two-plus weeks of it last month.

Otherwise I'll just go get some Jungle med food.

Medigold dint work last time though did it? So I think really a different med food is the way to go if you can possibly manage it.

Whoo!

Bought the Jungle meds, bought a quarantine rubbermaid, and also found a vet who is willing to slice the whole thing off if I can't get it to go away myself.

Victory may in fact be mine.

:happydance