Rare Disease And Their Effects Area

Guest telescope eye

Guest telescope eye

I was thinking about a rare and uncommon dessease area.Some pet store owners might not have somuch experience so people that have experience with the disease could post wat the cure ,effects, andsighns of the disease.

I think this is a great idea!!! A couple of weeks ago, tragedy struck in one of the tanks at work. I noticed that in a new shipment of fish (tropicals) many of them were missing eyes, had crooked backs, and very little colour and energy. After eliminating other possibilities, I came across something called Fish Tuberculoisis, or Fish TB, and they sadly fit the symptoms. Medications for this disease are available, but the store treats only simple ilnesses like ick, velvet, etc - stuff that they can treat by pulling products off the shelves. More scary was the fact that Fish TB is communicable to humans. I would have preferred to observe the fish for a longer period and see if they improved with better nutrition, but the store has no QT area. Unfortunately, we had to euthanize the entire tank of fish (humanely - the management wanted to use bleach, but we found a recipe that simply put the fish to sleep) and disinfect the whole tank.

It was a very upsetting experience for myself and my other part-time co-workers. A place where rarer diseases can be discussed would be an invaluable resource!

• 2 months later...

I think that this would be a VERY good idea. SOmetimes rare diseases are mistken for more common ones. Also, people would know what is up[ if thier goldfish if it is acting wierd. An adult fantail at my school has this big brown wart on it's head. Two of my fish in the past have died from misterious diseases. This would be very helpful. I hope KoKo does put this up.