Creepin Crud

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

I've got a fish who has never been a looker, he's skinny, out of proportion, lanky, has tumors, and a strange eye condition where it appears as if sacks of fluid are behind his eyes, and pop out when he swims.

Just the the other day I noticed some slight swelling of an area on his wen and I thought it might be growth as it's always changing and growing. But I was watching the tank feed tonight and I was really watching him to make sure he's still eating enough and I watched as a string pus, started LEAKING out of this swollen spot on his wen. That really grossed me out but the fish didn't seem to even notice so I grabbed my net and caught him. He struggled in the net and all the struggling caused more to leak out, and in another place too. After it leaked out it sort of dissolved in the water except for a few pieces of it. I was reading a little bit about hole in the head disease and it mentioned that on top of pus leaking out o the head that the fish may have sores on the lateral line or fins... And his two tumors arer in those exacpt places. One smack dab on the lateral line and the other at the base of his dorsal fin when it attaches to his back. Both of those look like they're full of pus too. They're yellowish.

The tank has been running for over a year, it's a 120 gallon. I do a large volume water change every month (40-50%).

Water readings are 0,0, and the nitrate reading perhaps is a little higher than it should be, I don't have my nitrate test bottles for some reason *&%@!

No medication or introduction of new fish or plants.

This fish has had the tumors and eye problem for over a year. Strange leaking wen just happened tonight, noticed swelling yesterday..

Picture of the tumor on his back found in this old thread; (tumor is significantly bigger now and clearly full of pus)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...8&hl=reilly

One other thing I noticed, along side the swollen wen, his other tumor (growing on the lateral line) seems to be attached in one place and the tumor is growing on the outside, so the surface area covered by the tumor is the same, but the blob that hands off him is getting bigger. When he swims at certain angles I can see the underside (or the side that is close to his body but not touching) of the tumor and I can see black specks...... Which for some reason is alarming. I don't know if my poor fish is rotting away or if it's open wounds turned black..

So what do you think? I'm really at a loss and I really want to help him. I'd even consider surgery if it would save him.

That looks and sounds very like ulcer disease. Its true, hole in the head can present with pinprick holes along the lateral that later get infected, but ulcer disease almost always presents along the lateral line too and looks like growing boils with pus and crud coming out of them. Its typically caused by the aeromonas salmonicida anaerobic bacteria. You need the right antibiotic for this.

Guest Halloween

I've read on a few sites that say only injections can cure it, and some sites that say potassium permanganate can be used... Although I could find out the name of any antibiotic...

Baytril injections will often work on this. Or you can try a dip of the really potent Tricide-Neo. There are several strains of aeromonas bacteria that each respond to a different antibiotic but Tricide Neo has had the best all round success with this disease generally. Its best to try the best first. Otherwise its going to be another hit and miss "which antibiotic" thing..

A few things about this disease. One is it is an anaerobic bacteria- multiplying in areas of the tank that are still (no current or DO). So active churning of the gravel* or moving ornaments around is going to disturb this bacterias proliferation - as will extra aeration- since DO damages their reproduction abilities.

Secondly and important- the bacteria is shed by your sick fish in the poo. Other fish can catch this by messing with that. Some fish will already be resistant since this has been one year but may come down with the same thing later when they are stressed- new fish added will be at high risk.

*also, would do this after removing all the fish first.

Guest Halloween

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I'm sure it's explained on the packages of the medicine but I'm seeing that most Tricide-Neo is sold in either 5 gallon mixes or 1 gallon mixes. I've never done dip treatments and would imagine after each dip the medicated water would have to be thrown out and then a new batch made up? How many times should I dip the fish total? I read that once a day and for no longer than 6 or 7 minutes but for how many days should I do this?

Thank you Trinket so much for your help!!!

Welcome hun :heart So what I would do is get as much of the dip as you can afford (it keeps and is useful to have) and give your fish 5 minute dips in a dark bucket with aeration on 3 days with one day of rest in between. So that is :~

Day 1 5 minute dip. Then discard medicated water

Day 2 No dip- return to good water for recuperation

Day 3 5 minute dip. Discard medicated water

Day 4 No dip- return to good water

Day 5 5 minute dip. Discard med. water.

The great thing here is your fish seems to be behaving fine and this is probably all credit to your care. If he feels low stress and not so bothered by the disease it means it is not systemic, (deep) surface only- the easiest kind of ulcer disease to heal. Plus the best outcome for dips is always if the fish is hardy like this.

I'd really be interested in updates daily as you do this.

Its a very strong combination of neomycin the antibiotic and a potentiator that is patented and therefore not known. A potentiator is a secondary drug that allows the antibiotic to be more easily absorbed by/drawn into the fishes system allowing the main ingredient to work to maximum potency. This is esp. advantageous in fish where levels of absorption are so iffy because of the whole osmotic equation. Potentiators can sometimes also be secondary antibiotics.

Neomycin sulfate is a very powerful antibiotic right now for fish because it is a) extremely broad spectrum and b) so far rather underused cf. to other antibiotics and so has this huge advantage of being potent because many bacteria have yet to develop resistance like they seem to be doing with so many of the antibiotics in the Maracyns etc.

The shelf life is 18 months. Rather long for an antibiotic. If kept in a dark and dry place. I don't know if its something that everyone would want to keep at hand -if you are buying fish as Halloween for example does that are very sick, rescues etc, it would certainly be worth having. For pond owners too maybe. Ulcers in aqaurium fish generally if caught early can be often be healed with sulfa drugs or topical applications of Bio-bandage for example which contains neomycin I think. On the other hand if you are seeing a few fish in your tank develop ulcers it may be something to have at the ready. Did I answer the question :hmm:D

Yes you did : )

You know me, how I love to learn as much info as I can about the different types of meds, and their pros/cons, etc, and you answered my question perfectly Imo, thanks : )

Halloween, hope things are going well for you : ) I know you were having problems a few months ago and we talked a bit. Hope this new problem gets straightened out for ya!

Guest Halloween

Thanks for all of this. I still have to buy it (unfortunetely I have to wait a few days before I can), but I'll be sure to get enough for 3 days. Then I'll just use this thread here and update with pictures, and most hopefully, progress :)