Snail Mishap

To feed my mystery snail, Ms. Teri, I take her out and put her in my designated "tank tupperware" with a piece of lettuce or spinach or peapod or whatever. This weekend, Steve was over and he rested his arm next to the tupperware. I was speaking to him and when he responded he made a motion with his hands and his arm hit the tupperware! Spilling all the water and tumbling my poor snail from the top of my dresser (about 4 1/2 feet) to the hardwood floor! Ms. Teri's shell broke and she is now so stressed that she barely comes out of her shell. I'm really afraid she will die! I am especially worried about her eating since she is so stressed. The worst part of it is how badly Steve feels. Ms. Teri was his favorite part of my aquarium (he is a saltwater guy so he just doesn't get goldfish) and he is really upset that she might not make it.

So let this be a warning to all you snail keepers: don't put your feeding snails anywhere they can be knocked down! Either that or don't let your boyfriend rest his arm by them!

Aw, poor snail!! I have an affection for mystery snails myself. I know that it is not what you want to hear, but I was told (by a LFS, so, could be totally wrong of course) that if the snail's shell is damaged, it will not survive. Can you maybe keep her isolated to try to keep her unstressed and help her to heal? To help her get better faster, try getting the pH between 7 and 8, and keep her isolated so nobody tries to pick at her exposed tissue. If she is healthy and not too hurt by the fall, she should be able to calcify the cracks in the shell. If you are worried about her not fixing herself up, you can patch up her shell yourself. I read about shell-patching on this website: http://www.applesnail.net. Look under "Diseases".

I hope Ms. Teri makes a full recovery! :)

Thanks! Me too!

I have her in the tank tupperware with tank water. She has been in there for about 12 hours now and has come out of her shell. Hopefully she will make it! I also put some of a garlic scented algae strip in the water with her to try to bribe her into eating. Hopefully she does. It would be so sad if she dies because she doesn't eat.