Never Give A Fish Up For Dead!

Pixiefish

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the "little" guy is hanging in there! :happydance Has he lost any more scales now, since he has had the time to destress some? I wonder if his physical condition might get a bit worse before it gets better.

Of course, if he came from a heavy populated pond, then the owner might not even know how many fish he has, and that one is missing... :rolleyes:

Wow. After reading that story you have my full respect! That's amazing how you handled the situation. So intuitive and clever. I have also read about doing the gill thing where you "walk" them in the water (Sorta like fishy C.P.R) but I woud probably be way too freaked out to remember it. All those chemicals and disinfectants you had on hand is also really awesome. You're quite the goldfish hero. 3 cheers.

Keep us updated and get us new pics of the little trooper. He's a strong guy and you're a great fish doctor. Keepin my fingers crossed!!!!

I have to ask....does your cat stare at this guy in his tank? I can just picture it...."I'll get you someday...someday!!"

Haha. I can see it, too. :rofl

Aww this is great pixiefish :) So pleased the big guy is hanging in there. I always use waterlifes Vitazin vitamins when treating sick fish as it helps them when they arent eating proper and helps them fight back :)

Okay Pix.... I do believe I remember the promise of some "after" pics..... you don't want me to have to break out the Kokos stick do you.....? you know the seriousness of the failure to post pictures at every turn!

Oooops! Been run off my feet and have ommited to post up new pics. And now Lynda is threatening the Koko stick!! Oh no, not that!

In addition we have a second victim - a smaller comet, also found in exactly the same place and apparantly dead, too. He has far less damage than the first and is now swimming around the tub with Moby Dick.

Sheesh! What am I going to do with them? There is a lady with a very badly kept pond down the road who has offered to take them, BUT it may be her pond they're coming from in the first place. It is getting very cold now and I'm worried to put them into an unmaintained pond which is now many degrees colder than the house when they are not fully healed.

I'm going to try to take more pics later so you can see how they're doing...........

Oooops! Been run off my feet and have ommited to post up new pics. And now Lynda is threatening the Koko stick!! Oh no, not that!

In addition we have a second victim - a smaller comet, also found in exactly the same place and apparantly dead, too. He has far less damage than the first and is now swimming around the tub with Moby Dick.

You really need to have a word with your cat, or you will have to make a pond for all the ones that are coming ;)

There is a lady with a very badly kept pond down the road who has offered to take them, BUT it may be her pond they're coming from in the first place. ...

:lol::tomuch::rofl

How terrible :o but hilarious!!

Are you now collecting the fish that your cats are bringing home and re-habilitating them ...to be caught again? Mind boggling territory..anyway good for you at rescuing them and bringing them back to life. It reminds me of when we were small and my brother and me collected all our cats chewed up shrews and mice that she brought home with great pride. We kept them in the airing cupboard in little boxes and I believe I even made dolls bedding for them..as we had little idea of their real needs...my Mother would scream every day when she opened that cupboard to get the dry laundry out.

Yes! It's like Tom and Jerry sketch!

Maybe I'll have to go and sort out the pond, net it, and then I can get some peace.

We used to save the cat prey, too, when we were small and always had shrews and voles and goodness knows what around the house. My Ma was surprisingly accommodating - I think because it kept us busy and out of her hair!

You really need to have a word with your cat, or you will have to make a pond for all the ones that are coming ;)

It's too bad fish don't hear cat bells hey? Maybe your cat is trying to flatter you, he knows how much you like fish :P

There is a lady with a very badly kept pond down the road who has offered to take them, BUT it may be her pond they're coming from in the first place. ...

:lol::tomuch::rofl

How terrible :o but hilarious!!

Are you now collecting the fish that your cats are bringing home and re-habilitating them ...to be caught again? Mind boggling territory..anyway good for you at rescuing them and bringing them back to life. It reminds me of when we were small and my brother and me collected all our cats chewed up shrews and mice that she brought home with great pride. We kept them in the airing cupboard in little boxes and I believe I even made dolls bedding for them..as we had little idea of their real needs...my Mother would scream every day when she opened that cupboard to get the dry laundry out.

:rofl When I first read this I thought you meant dead rodents...you did mean living ones right....? :blink:

Our cat brought home a chipmunk once when we were kids, mom and dad let us keep him until he healed. I remember mom giving him antibiotics with an eyedropper...clearly that's where I get my softy genes from

Yes they were always still alive (horrible how cats will do that), usually too far gone with broken limbs but a few that survived. Some of them I think just died outright of sheer fright being put in those little boxes with handkerchief bedding and perfumed laundry all round. We fed them water and warm milk with droppers too. No antibiotics though- what a lovely Mom yours was!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pearlywhirly31

I would never have thought of putting them in water. It's pretty cool that they were still alive after everything they've gone through. Good luck with getting them back on their "feet"! I hope the fishies get better! Oh also, what is it when you "walk" a fish?