Never Give A Fish Up For Dead!

Pixiefish

I thought I'd post this topic just for interests sake and in case anyone ever finds their fish out of the pond or savaged by a predator.

I found this 6/7 inch fish under my dining table yesterday morning. One of my awful cats must have dragged it out of someone's pond. I assumed it was dead as it was completely motionless and had become stuck to the floor (gha!); I had to use a slice to prize its tail off the floorboards :(

I was about to dispose of it when something I'd read from one of the pondies here, ages ago, rang a distant bell in mind. I put the fish in a bowl and poured some tankwater over its gills. After a second it twitched and two seconds later its gills began to pulse. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I quickly filled a 10gal tub to put it in and by the time it was ready the fish was almost flipping out of the bowl!!! I put him in and 'walked' him back and forth to oxygenate his gills.

Here's what I did to treat him:

Once he had begun swimming, I mixed a 0.1% solution of salt to add to the water in order to keep conditions sanitary and to help with osmo-regulation (always a problem when a fish has wounds).

After a while I took him out and sprayed him with Savlon Wound Wash, being careful to avoid the gills. We cannot get any of the Maracyns or Sulfa treatments here so I had to improvise with medicine cabinet items! It is important to provide as much surface disninfection as possible when the slimecoat has been breached as bacteria will quickly make its way inwards. I decided against HP as he'd lost a lot of scales and flesh and I thought it might be too caustic. I dipped him in some fresh water to wash off any excess and then briefly took him out again to apply some Savlon Dry wound seal which also contains a little iodine - I left him for about 30 secs on a long plate so that it could have a chance to adhear to the wounds. I returned him to his tub and added an airstone, only - as he had been badly traumatized I didn't want him having to fight a current.

Today he has been moving around the tub and gobbled a pellet I accidentally dropped whilst feeding the main tank. I plan not to feed him for the next few days though, until he seems stronger. I am amazed that he is doing so well as I would never have expected him to be alive. But apparently, fish can last a surprisingly long time out of water, especially if it is cold.

I plan to change his water every day to prevent the build up of harmful bacteria and to keep ammonia away. He's very badly torn up and has shredded fins and flesh wounds - but I'm hoping he'll recover. Here are some pics.

2006_1210fishies0003.jpg

2006_1210fishies0002.jpg

2006_1210fishies0005.jpg

Wish him luck!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god..that is truly amazing Pixie...this is wonderful...that is such a gr8 job saving the poor guy...wow... :heart ..I would never think of it...I will always remember this...

You are doing a wonderful job with him...Here's wishing you and the little one all the luck..Hope he gets better each day...and gets healthy soon... :) ..Keeping my fingers crossed for the baby...

Aww poor fish. Im glad you found him when you did, he looks very pretty even in his torn up state. I wish him the best of luck in making a full and speedy recovery.

I have heard of fish recovering well after being out of water before, especially when on something that doesnt absorb water as quickly. Are you going to keep him?

Thanks hun. Pretty amazing isn't it? Who'd have thought a fish like that could still be alive?

I'll do what I can, although it would not be surprising if he goes down with some horrible internal infection over the coming days. Cats have bacteria all over their teeth and it is hard to know how deep the bites have gone and how long he was lying on the floor :(

Anyway, fingers crossed..........

PS Ooops - posts all crossed at once! I was originally replying to SGurl. Thanks everyone else, too. I'm not sure what to do with him if he survives. We're still trying to find out who he belongs to. I think he needs to be back in a pond once he's better as he's pretty big.

I am hoping and crossing fingers for you that he lives. Hopefully the bites havnt gone too deep, and he has enough immunity to fightoff infections. I think it is a good sign that he wanted to eat too,.

He's so lucky! I am sure he will survive and go on to thrive under your meticulous care. He is a lovely bright color isn't he? Must have been cared for well prior to his catnapping. Let us know how he does and how that slimecoat heals up.

Well, at least it was YOUR cats who got ahold of it vs. someone else's cats and at least your cats dragged it home. It's health couldn't be in better hands! Good luck to you and the fish!

First thought upon seeing those pics: "Aw, fingers crossed that he totally recovers!" But seriously, thank goodness you know what you're doing! I'm sure he'll make it.

Second thought upon seeing those pics: "Hmm... I wonder if I can train my cat to steal me goldfish?" Do you want to teach me your secret? ;)

Wow!! Amazing story! It sounds like you are super-wise in the ways of goldfish from the accolades that others here are giving you, so I'm hoping he will bounce back better than ever before with you! Keep us posted with pics of his recovery - I love a good underdog story!!

Well, I came home tonight having been out all day and he looks as strong as a bull. He's rampaging around the tank like Moby Dick and begging for food! I'm amazed.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow to see if he looks different at all.