Great Big Update!

Brams

I can't remember when I was actually here last! It's been a good few months anyway.

Well unfortunately a while ago I slipped into that terrible apathy so far as my fish were concerned and I'm ashamed to say they even went for nearly a month without a waterchange! :o I feel really horrible about that but I'm back on track with 25% w/c twice every week. The nitrates are super low but the pH levels are stable and the worst that was suffered was only slightly frayed fins on one fish. They're very strong fish! I can see them now playing in the bubbles and chasing each other - they're so sweet, I can't believe I pretty much abandoned them for that month :heart

Any, I've got some pics of them in their mansion!

Near is the white fantail, 4" now!

Hyzenthlay (Zen) is the red/white oranda and she's about 3.5" but most of it is tail (her tail is nearly twice as long as it was when I got her in April)

Jounouchi (Jou) is the orange ranchu, he's about 3" and he's very cute and funny (as well as a total beast for algae wafers)

koko1oc0.jpg

koko2lv8.jpg

koko3zc1.jpg

koko4or9.jpg

Aren't they cuuuuuuute :D

I also have a NEW development, fresh from the garden centre today. I knew I was going to this place a few days ago (it's the same place I got Near and Zen from) and they always have lots of goldies, so I specifically said 'don't let me buy a fish!!!' Little did I know they'd have some......... RYUKINS!!

I've been desperate for a ryukin for a long time, and I'd been hoping that Near might be a closet ryuk but he's sticking to his fantail ways. I couldn't resist. Especially as they didn't look too good, they were all very floaty and lethargic and I heard the golfish faerie whispering in my ear, telling me to save one haha.

So welcome to the brood, Quail!!! :heart

She's a calico ryukin, approx 5" including tail. She's got SBD and a very ragged tail, but apart from that she's a chipper thing with 18 metric gallons all to herself. All she needs is a light and some proper decor and she'll be one stupidly pampered fish.

I only went to the garden centre to have lunch in their restaurant but as I suspected I caved into my addiction and came home with a new baby to add to my fish family :3

quailrr6.jpg

She wasn't looking too healthy at the garden centre and in her bag on the way home she was floating upside down and then sometimes verticle with her nose pointing down, but she's looking very happy right now! She's swimming up and down every inch of her tank and doing loop-the-loops (with aid from her SBD lol!!) and playing salmon in the filter current! I love her very much already but unfortunately I now how absolutely no room to rescue my friend's enormous black moor :(

Great pictures! And cute fishies! Maybe you can still figure out a way to rescue the Moor.

One comment on letting your tank go for a month with no water change. I did that myself; got apathetic, let the water changes go and skipped a few. The nitrates, all the readings, never got high, but I still lost a fish because of my lapse. It was from an accumulation of bad bacteria, which you can't test for without a microscope and some knowledge of what you're looking for. So, I would highly suggest a 100% water change to really clear out anything bad that may have grown during your lapse. I don't want you to lose a fish too!

Great pictures! And cute fishies! Maybe you can still figure out a way to rescue the Moor.

One comment on letting your tank go for a month with no water change. I did that myself; got apathetic, let the water changes go and skipped a few. The nitrates, all the readings, never got high, but I still lost a fish because of my lapse. It was from an accumulation of bad bacteria, which you can't test for without a microscope and some knowledge of what you're looking for. So, I would highly suggest a 100% water change to really clear out anything bad that may have grown during your lapse. I don't want you to lose a fish too!

Thanks Lynda!

When I did the first w/c after 'That Month' I did a 90% change (the fish were in a seperate bucket) and the following day I did maybe 15-20%, purely because getting small amounts of water out of the bottom of the tank is really hard! I also rinsed the filter media out in some tank water too.

I think the trio in the big tank will be okay, and I'm quite confident about Quail too.

And I don't think I can have that moor! He was meant to go in the tank that Quail is in now but.... well, Quail got there first haha! I do feel sorry for that moor though, I can't believe he's still alive to be honest.

Welcome back :D

The new fish is a beauty :heart

That is a good point about the waterchange, I find it SO hard since I got my 55 gallon to do big waterchanges but I know it has to be done.....*sigh*

Yes she's very lovely, despite her torn up tail! I think she's enjoying her new tank, she's turning out to be a very inquisitive little thing. Her tank is kinda ugly though, but I can't afford decor at the moment!

And yes, big w/c are hard! My biggest tank is 33 gals so I don't know how you manage with 55!! I find that 'little and often' makes it easier. A bucket a day lol.

So glad your fish survived. The most I have ever gone is two weeks and I tend to feed a lot less when I do that too.

Yes I'm glad they survived too, I feel so bad that I left them for so long. I think I owe their hardiness to some very well seeded filter media, lots of space and lots of oxygenation/filtration!! But I won't be neglecting them again, that's for sure :o

They look gr888..glad nothing happened to them becos of lack of water changes... :) ..and welcome back.. :D

Cheers! I think they look great too :3

Aww,they are indeedcute! And I love the tank.

Thanks Kathy. I'm very proud of the Trio Tank, I hope to make Quail's tank as pretty eventually. It's hard to appreciate it without proper lighting though - they're having to make do with an old office light at the moment! I simply can't afford aquarium lights right now :(

Welcome back! I adore Quail and the name is so cute!

It was quite hard to name her actually, but then I thought she kinda looks like a fat, speckled egg and the only speckled egg I know off the top of my head is the quail's egg, so that's how I named her! Of course she is much bigger than any quail's egg I've ever seen :D

Welcome back. :) The fish and fish tank look great. I really like the simplicity of the tank.

Thanks. I think simple is best (totally sold on the barebottom look lol). I think the green of the wall behind the tank really sets it off.

And I've just noticed your signature, what happened to all your fish?? D:

I love your tank and yes the fish are very cute! You have a great attitude too..I love the "shes got sbd and a ripped tail but shes a chipper thing"- :D

Is that a green backdrop on your tank btw or are you growing greenwater?

I love your tank and yes the fish are very cute! You have a great attitude too..I love the "shes got sbd and a ripped tail but shes a chipper thing"- :D

Is that a green backdrop on your tank btw or are you growing greenwater?

Thanks!! I was actually quite surprised by how lively she was once she got into her new tank, considering how miserable she looked at the garden centre. I feel sorry for her buddies, I hope they find nice new homes too, with people who know how to look after goldies properly.

And she is a chipper thing! I stuck my hand in the water just to see how she'd react to it there and she just swam straight up and tried to eat my thumb haha!

As for the green in the tank, that's not a backdrop - I don't have one, it's just the green of the wall behind the tank. As for greenwater... I don't think I'll embark on the construction of a goldfish paradise empire until I have lots of space of my own! Hopefully I'll be going to university next year and I'm hoping against everything that wherever I'll be moving into - halls or flats - I'll be allowed to take the tanks with me! Heathus Christ.....that's going to be a heck of a mission :wacko: