Plastic Toxicity?

I need to put *something* into my Baby Saver Net Thingy that's currently hanging on the side of my tank -- my babies are getting banged around too much, even though it's as far away from the filters as possible.

Lacking a teensy tiny terra cotta pot, though, I'm wondering if I could put something plastic in the water, providing that I'd washed it out really well.

I have a choice between a little bitty bathroom cup (type 6 plastic) and a weird miniscule plastic shot glass thing.

Anyone know if either of those'll poison my fish?

Most plastics are safe yes but some plastics can be toxic. Leeching colors and plastic into the water that causes fuzzy type growths on the fish. Im not exactly sure which ones leech and should research that, but I know tupperware type containers are fine and plastic cups probably as they are for human drinking. I would avoid (esp colored) plastic containers that are not meant to carry food or drink. Glass is always fine.

I would try using gladware or tupperware. Like Imo said, if it's meant to carry food for us humans it must be ok to use for our fish! And plus everyone has tupperware, right?

In general flexible plastics clear and black are ones to look at suspiciously. I believe #6 is styrene and is fairly safe especially from a leaching stand point.

In tests we conducted with fish embryos the black gasket on bulkheads (EPDM) and vinyl airline tubing were two of the most toxic. It is likely the plasticizer used to make them flexible that leaches out over time. Ever notice how airline gets stiff over time...

Another time a friend raised a batch of fry in a semi flexible cattle trough and all the fish had crooked tails, the other half of the spawn in the rigid rubbermaid trough were just fine.

Over all if it's food safe it's likely safe enough for our fish.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

Thanks all!

I've got a halved mini Dixie cup in there now, and they seem to like it.

You know, as much as fish the size of eyelashes can seem to like anything.....