Will Pealie Be Okay?

whitner

Earlier I put on this new fragrance oil I got today; I put some on my wrists. About 2 hours later I did a water change in my pearlscale's tank/tub. I didn't think about it then, but is there a chance that he can become poisoned? It [oil] had time to soak into my skin, but I'm still worried. He's okay right now. The last thing I want is to wake up and find my new fish dead. :cry1 I personally think he'll be okay. I've just never done water changes with perfume on before. I didn't actually plan on doing this water change but I checked the ammonia and it was pretty high so I had to do one and completely forgot to wash off the oil, if it could be washed off. As I said before, it's had time to soak into my skin. But if someone were to wash their hands before doing a water change, wouldn't that be the same thing? You'd still have some residue from the soap on your hands no matter how well you rinsed, right?

If I had to *guess*, I'd say he'll be fine -- I'd think that unless you were oozing fragrance oil from every pore, there wouldn't be enough that the tank water couldn't dilute it.

(I am the worst person ever about messing with my tank without washing my hands first -- my poor guys have suffered through lotion, perfume, leave-in conditioner, flour... and that's not even counting the time I knocked my Diet Coke into the tank. And they pulled through. ;) )

After a bout with poisoning fish (it was heartbreaking) I am probably overly cautious. I wash all the way up to my armpits before my hands go in the tank and I rinse until there is no more odor of soap, then I dry with a clean unused towel or a paper towel.

But, all is probably fine. Watch for lethargy, losing color and eventually floating. If you see any unusual behavior move the fish to a bucket full of clean dechlorinated water and do a 100% water change.

I did about an 80% waterchange after I posted. And he's fine. After the first waterchange he was acting funny but that was probably because the ammonia was still at .25. After the second it went was 0 and he perked up. But if he haa anymore weird behavior I'll post in the Disease and Diagnosis thread.

I have never done this with oil...but once with lotion...cos I forgot to wash it off.. :blink: duh...but dont worry..it should not hurt your pearlie at all.. :) ..he should be fine..like Amy and Shamu said..I wash my hands and arms thoroughly with warm water, no soap so that I dont have to be worried about anything..and I always use paper towels in between.. :) ..extra caution ;)

I always use soap, but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't. I end up rinsing for about five minutes before putting my hands in. Hmm.

well that works too..hand soap is good...takes off all the baddies...and rinses off easily..rinsing well with soap is a good practice and as u said rinsing for a longer duration to make sure soap is gone works gr88.. :)

I am very cautious about more stubborn soaps like laundry and dish soap detergents...I usually take a shower if I have used any of these before a water change...I know extreme...but am scared.. :unsure: ..or else I totally avoid using these until am done with the fishies..even feeding...never mess with these soaps... :D

Why not just use all natural soap like you'd find in a health food store? I use dish soap from a brand called "Seventh Generation" that is non-toxic and harmless to the environment. I wash my hands/arms with it and rinse good everytime I clean the fishies and have for a couple years now.