Aggressive Fish

Guest karebearxoxo

Guest karebearxoxo

So once again, my fantail and oranda have beaten up my new fish sophie, i came home today and she was torn apart. I dont know what to do, as of right now i also have her seperated, but for some reason these two fish wont stop being aggressive. I recently bought a 50 gallon tank and moved them in, hoping that the reason for the aggression was not enough space, but this hasnt helped, and im getting really angry that they wont stop doing this. I had a seperator in my 30 gallon, but i wanted to try putting them together and it didnt work. can someone please explain to me what is going on and how i can get this to stop? i am thinking of giving away the two angry ones, i cant keep seperating my fish all the time.

Are they perhaps trying to make her drop eggs? If this is the case, could you lower the temperature to induce her to release her eggs and they might leave her alone after spawning. I'm no expert but it makes sense to me.

That is assuming that when you say "she" you have correctly sexed her.

Like I said, I might not be right, but it's worth a shot yeah?

Guest karebearxoxo

i suppose that could be right, however im not sure how to lower the temp, its already pretty low. i dont have a heater in it, and i want to say its about 50 degrees, my thermometer isnt exactly working very well. as of right now, i have two tanks running, and im going to wait until sophie heals before putting her back in the large tank. also, i have heard that the way you detect if it is a female is if it is more rounded in the stomach area. this is how i have been judging them, are there any other ways to tell?

If you look at the vent you should be able to tell. If it is an "innie" it's a boy, and "outie" it's a girl. Also, males that are usually over six months in age will have breeding stars on their pectoral fins (along the first ray) and/or on their gill plates (stars look kinda like ich, but smaller and concentrated on those areas). My big male ryukin has the fattest belly you have ever seen, but he is deifinately a male (breeding stars and an innie).

Your tank is 50oF? That's pretty low!! Most of us here keep our tanks around 70o-75o. Koko (I think) keeps hers around 72-76. I think goldfish should be kept at the lowest around 50 (but that's for commons/comets). It could be that your tank is too cold for them. Usually cold makes them less active...perhaps they are fighting for food because they are too cold? I'm not sure about this as I have the opposite problem with my tank (too hot). How big is your tank? 50 gal right? I would buy a small heater and set it on the lowest setting (usually 65o or 67o) That way it keeps it above the lowest temp but doesn't make it too hot for them.

You said you think it's about 50o, is this because when you put your hand in it's cold? Anything under 80o will feel chilly when you put your hand in (our body temp is so high anything below around 85o feels cold). I would also suggest getting a better thermometer, I like the ones that suction cup to the inside because they don't get ambient temperature like the strip ones do. Plus you can get them at w*lmart for about 2 dollars!

Let us know if this helps!

Edited by ryukin girl

Guest karebearxoxo

i had a heater about a month ago, and my water was about 70 degrees, and that is when the aggression started, and it was suggessted that i take the heater out. some of my friends here have their goldfish outside, and they said that they even leave them out there during the winter, with ice on the top! so im not sure, i will try the heater idea though =)

Commons and comets can be left outside in a pond so long as the water doesn't freeze over. Water holds heat better than air or land so ponds usually stay in the lower 40s under the ice. Fancies should never be left outside over winter because they are more delicate than commons. Hence the name. Usually those with ponds bring in their fancies over winter (unless they live somewhere like Florida where the pond doesn't freeze.)

Good luck.