Bubble Under Eye?

Guest Ester

Did you by any chance recently do a water change using a high flow pressure pump? It looks like your fish might have gas bubble which is when the total pressure of gases dissolved in the water is higher than the atmospheric pressure. A leaky water pipe or occasionally malfunctioning filter can also produce excess gases in the water that causes this. The remedy is to increase dissolved oxygen to saturation point which helps to eliminate excess gas.

A large water change providing your water source is not culprit (with leaking pipe or high pressure) can help enormously. Do you have an extra airstone to add too?

My camera doesn't have a macro setting, it only has intelligent photo which usually works when he isn't being unusually active.

Those were just the two that actually showed the bubble in the series of photos I tried to take of him.

Trinket, I'm trying to understand what it is you're talking about haha

Since I live in a dorm, I use the bathtub faucet because I can't fit a bucket-- or anything for that matter-- into my sink.

I assume that since it's for a bathtub, the water comes out at a higher pressure?

So I should do a water change where the water isn't as high?

And I do have another air stone, but just one air pump, will that do anything more than it is already, since it's only one pump??

The bubble's a little bigger today, it seems.

Thanks for the speedy replies :)

I live in a dorm too and the way I got over the teeny-tiny sink issue is to cut a hole in the side of a 2litre pop bottle and use it as a sort of funnel to allow the water to drop into your bucket. I actually had to attach a 20oz pop bottle onto this too cuz the lip of the sink was really wide. Everytime I do a water change if another girl comes into the bathroom she thinks I'm crazy, but it makes water changes easier! (And drier....when you don't have to put a bucket in the shower, the bucket doesn't get all wet and cold!)

Hopefully this helps!

Since I live in a dorm, I use the bathtub faucet because I can't fit a bucket-- or anything for that matter-- into my sink.

I assume that since it's for a bathtub, the water comes out at a higher pressure?

That may be it. How many water changes have you done so far using the bathtap?

I think you'd be much better getting a piece of hose or using Sarah's idea of the pop bottle above so you can use the sink water. Run the water sloooow. Gas bubble gets worse if its not treated and can be fatal. So a water change to clear the extra gases soon is really important as is an extra airstone.

I've been using the bathtub since I got my tank.. which is a little over a month ago, maybe??

I'm not sure.

I may try this soda bottle idea, but would just putting the tub faucet on low help??

Yes definitely it would help very much. Its the power pressure causing the build up of tiny gas bubbles in your fishes eyes. Do a w/c now and do it real slooooooow. The bubbles should recede in water that does not have supersaturated gases from high pressure.

You would also be best to get lots of splash on the surface-at least for a few days- by lowering the water surface or whatever measures it takes so more oxygen can enter the water to compensate for any damage done.

O, Esther, this is so unfortunate!

Just as a question, does he usually float like that? or is it just in those two pictures? I'm definitely not a diagnosis expert but if he is floating there might be a deeper problem....

When I sit at my desk, he tends to stick to the top corner of the tank...

When I'm not, though, I find him swimming around throughout the rest of the tank.

He has swim bladder issues, I think... I've been having a lot of problems with him being super floaty, so I try to deal with it by altering his diet.

This probably is wrong, but might it be the start of a wen?

I've heard pearlscales can grow them...