I Did A Little Experiment!

Shamu23

I dont remember who it was, but someone said awhile back that tanks under 3 gallons cannot cycle. But ever since about 5 or 6 weeks after I set it up I never got any ammonia in my 1 gallon female betta tank. So i tried to do a little "experiment" if you can call it that. I changed all the water in the 1 gallon tank, then I hadnt cleaned it in over a week, never saw any ammonia, so today it was about 1.5 weeks and I tested for ammonia and it was 0, the fish has never been sick ever, the tank has no filter and I do a 100% waterchange about every 5 days to once a week, so it is possible for a tank under 3 gallons to cycle!

That doesn't seem very plausible--there are many variables in the experiment you missed--for example, you would need several different tanks, perhaps one with and one without filter, and you'd also need to record what kind of fish was kept in the tank, the amount of ammonia it produces, how much it is fed, the presence of algea in the tank--ect.

Also, remember that the cycle is not kept within the water, it is kept within the filter media and substrate/decor, so the fact this tank had no filter makes it indeed impossible to filter. You are also banking on the fact there was no ammonia present to verify a cycle establishing. You will also have to look at the readings for the nitrate and nitrites, since you can get different answers based on all three.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh, I was just trying to make a point. I have no idea if in fact cycles can be established in that small size of a tank, but the fact you went through the trouble to try is really good. :) Perhaps you could post this in the water quality section to see if anyone else has done this, or get some advice there?

i personally think it cycled, cuz when i first set it up there was ammonia and nitrite, now theres none of ammonia or nitrite. I dont have a filter, I have gravel and a bunch of ornaments and 1 small fish, and the fact that there is no ammonia now but there was at the beginning makes me thing that it did cycle! :)

i'd do all that deatiled stuff that u said if it was a real experiment, this was more like and observation i guess lol

Edited by Shamu23

Hun, the beneficial bacterial needed to start and maintain a cycle is aerobic--that means it absolutely needs a supply of oxygen running through the filter media to survive(obviously dissolved oxygen in this place, drying out the sponge kills the bacteria)--that's why when people's power go out, or the leave the filter without power too long with the filter media still in it, one of the culprits of the death of the bacteria is lack of oxygen (not counting the possible drying of the sponge). I'm not sure if it's possible to have enough beneficial bacteria to sustain a cycle--which is the reason why people say that you can't get a cycle with such a small amount of water--there's probably a minimum amount of ammonia and other components resposible for the cycle required for such a thing to happen. :)

You also said you emptied the 1 gallon completely before refilling it with clean water. Now you said you had the presence of ammonia and nitrite at the beginning--was this tested right after the complete water change? Or several days after? Ammonia can "disappear" for a number of different reasons. You haven't even mentioned the presence of nitrates either--and lack of those along with zero nitrite and ammonia still indicates either faulty testing supplies, mistake during testing, no cycle or something like plantlife or strong algea using the nitrates for photosythesis. Without monitoring in everyday on the the water parameters of the "cycle" in this tank, it's really impossible to say if you really do have a cycle. You'll have to retest carefully to confirm your results.

ah watever it doesnt matter, u didnt need to go all scientific on me :) , i dont care, as long as theres no ammonia im happy :)

but thx for the info anyways, maybe that'll come in handy some day ;)

actually maybe i will make a real experiment of this..someday, i'll keep track of all the results, if i do that i'll let u know wat happens!

Edited by Shamu23