Ripped Goldfish Fins

El Pez

I'm looking after a fish (goldfish) for a week while the owner moves but unfortunatly he was attacked during the night but another fish and his fins were ripped up. Is there any way to help fix his fins? i've moved him into a breeding box which is one of the big double sided ones so he's not too too cramped. is there anything i can do and how long does it usually take for fins to repair themselves? He appears to be fine and eating and can still swim but not quite as well. I just feel bad any ideas?

Edited by El Pez

well he is in a tank with my guppies. I have 1 48 hour old guppy fry in a breeding box and he too is in another breeding box. Do you think melafix would be a problem for my fry first of all but for the other guppies as well? i have him in that tank because i read that warm water will help heal him plus i have about a 0.1% concentration of salt ( i know everyone doesn't agree on this but i think it might help him)

If none of the fins are ripped down to the fin base, then you should be fine. It'll take a couple months for them to heal back, but add some melafix to the tank and it'll be fine. I know from experience ;)