Black Swollen Gills

For about the past month I've been noticing that one of my black skirt tetras has swollen, black gills and black areas on his fins where he never had them before. He's one of 3 black skirts, I've had them about 4 years now. They live in my heavily planted 20 gallon tank with 2 neons, 6 xray tetras, 3 guppies, 3 cories and an otto (none of whom are showing any signs of this problem). The pH is around 6.6, ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate is about 5, kH is low - but I buffer. They have a biowheel filter.

I really don't know what this is. I treated the tank with maracyn plus a few weeks ago for an unrelated problem, and that did nothing to help his condition, I'm wondering if it's parasitic or fungal. Oh, and he's breathing heavily too. Here are some pics, look at the swelling and discoloration compared to the others.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

They look quite swollen too don't they?

If they are swollen I'd think 'infection'. Are there any gill strands coming off?

No I don't think anything is coming off them, but I'll watch him a little more closely and see. I posted this a few weeks ago on a trop board and got nothing, it's really bizarre.

I forgot to mention, a few new fish have been intorduced in the past few months, as well as plants. The fish were QT'd but 3 of them died...thus my treating the tank with meds, I thought it was bacterial but maybe I was wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried a broad spectrum treatment with you being unsure of exactly what it is.

Ive never seen anything like and broad spectrum med would be first thing i would try .

you may want to try this chrissy its a diagnostic tool for fish may be worth giving it a go

http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/

Ugh, the poor guy looks terrible today. I think he has popeye and maybe dropsy, and there's a film on one side. Yet he continues to eat and school with the others. The only disease I found that may be what he's got is a form of fungus that is basically untreatable :(

I'm going to check again, but I'm considering clove oil soon, poor little fella.

My betta's gills looked exactly like that. But he'd been that way since I got him. I didn't really think anything of it, even though I've never known a betta to look that way. He lived quite a long time.

This is the only thing I found that might be it, but the gills swelling/discoloration isn't really mentioned. I'm considering doing an anti-fungal treatment on the whole tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :please

http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=41

As for his symptoms. He has the black swollen gills, black discoloration on his tail, fins and part of his body (but it's hard to see because of his natural coloration), fast breathing, popeye, and now what looks like a film or maybe thickened slime coat on one side.

• 2 weeks later...