My New 60 Gal Tank Didn't Last Long

Actually this happened last year but I didn't want to post anything til we settled with the aquarium manufacturer. Observe the destruction-- :krazy:

BigSplash002.jpg

BigSplash005.jpg

BigSplash001.jpg

HPIM1161.jpg

HPIM1164.jpg

All my fish are at my bf's house and I finally convinced him I needed a bigger tank for my goldies. We found this one on sale at smart pet. They said it was a promotional item--we liked it cause it was different. So we had them help us load it on the back of my pickup along with some gravel, ornaments and a few tropical fish I was going to put in the goldies old tank.

We got home ok and had a neighbor help unload it and set it up. We thought we were being very careful and everything was good. Well I washed it out and started filling it up with water. When it was almost full I noticed a small crack at the bottom right hand corner. I said to my bf "Oh look, it's no good, there's a crack!" He's like "What?" and then the whole front cracked open and drowned me from the waist down!!! My bf was sitting on the couch watching TV and he just lifted up his feet and said something about not really wanting a 60 gal pond in his living room. :P

Anyway, we borrowed the neighbors shopvac to clean it up but there was just too much so had to call a carpet cleaning service to come help. Ended up having to replace the foam layer under the carpet and went for over a week with the carpet pulled back and fans blowing to dry it out. After that the carpet needed cleaning, too of course.

We went back to smart pet and exchanged the aquarium for a 16 gal that I put the new tropicals in. Also we filed a complaint against the aquarium manufacturer and they ended up paying for all the carpet damage so everything worked out fine!

yikes that sucks! One of my aunt and uncle in germany had a big fishtank (i never actually saw it, just heard about it, lol not sure y they never showed it to me actually) about 2 years ago they said that one day they came home and there was glass and water everywhere and it had basically just exploded lol, but it was old. The sad part was that there was tons of fish in it and they all died :( , i've got another aunt who has an indoor pond with goldies and koi! Hopefully i'll b able to see that the next time we go to visit!!

Good thing everything worked out with ur tank!

Wow.

You guys sound like you handled it fairly calmly -- I probably would have been running in circles filled with panic.

I'm glad to hear that none of the fish were in it at the time! :)

Yeah it sucked alright, I was soaking wet and the water was really cold! :help1 I did walk around in circles at first, not sure what to do--my bf told me to go home, change clothes and get my little shopvac. By the time I got back he had already borrowed the neighbors vacuum.

The aquarium company did cover all the new carpet foam padding and cleaning services which is what we asked for. Smart Pet refunded all our money spent on the tank and I used some of it to buy my 16 gal. My bf decided he didn't want anymore big tanks in his house so the largest one I have now is a 30 gal. Guess I can't blame him for that!! :Aquarium11:

And yes, thank God no fish were in there. It was a bad nightmare but doesn't seem to happen very often at least. :)

OMG!!!!!! That is the SAME EXACT aquarium I had and it busted too!!!!! I think it was to top heavy! SAME STORY!

Edited by Ms. Melissa

OMG!!!!!! That is the SAME EXACT aquarium I had and it busted too!!!!! I think it was to top heavy! SAME STORY!

...but I wasn't home and I lost ALL of my babies! It was a real horror story coming home to that! I got my aquarium on sale at Pet Smartt too! At the time I thought it was a steal of a deal! I got the 65 gal aquarium, stand, lights, and hood, for only $250. It was beautiful!!! Had the aquarium for about 5 months then just one day I came home and it was busted, glass every where, water damage covered the floors of my office room, guest bedroom, hall, and playroom. I had to have the carpet in the WHOLE upstairs changed!! I even had to change the carpet on the stairs and master bedroom so everything would match! I still miss my fish so much!! I want them back! :cry1

Must have been really scary. :exactly

Now I'm getting paranoid about my 70 gal second-hand tank. :blink: Suddenly I'm glad that we have a stone floor and that when we are not home the dog is not in the room with the fish tanks. So if something horrible would happen, the fish end up on cold stone floor with a centimetre of water and a chance of survival and the dog can not touch the fish or wound her paws on glass.

Edited by Quasi

Yes, it was very SCARY! I hope I didn't scare anybody else too much. :o Just something that happened but it seems to be kinda rare overall.

Melissa--So there was something wrong with those tanks!!! I'm soooo sorry about your fish--your horror story is even worse than mine. :(

Personally I think it's the tank. We both got it on sale at the same place. It was cheap (but looked very nice), same brand, same size, same stand, etc. It always looked top heavy to me but I figured it they were for sale it must be a good tank. I couldn't figure for the life of me what happen to my tank because I wasn't home when it happened but after seeing your post I think I found my answer. When I left the house there was NOTHING wrong with my tank. I looked at it every day!! After reading what happen to your tank I think the glass busted on mine and caused the entire thing to fall over.

DSC_8037.jpg

DSC_8042.jpg

DSC_8060.jpg

WHOA!!!! How horrific is that??? What a catastrophe--looks like an earthquake or tornado aftermath. Yeah, it had to be a faulty design or something with the tank. Did you contact the manufacturer as well? And Smart Pet? They really need to know what's going on. Again I am so sorry you had such a dreadful experience--I do understand!

I was telling my husband about your post. i had no idea we could contact the company about it. I did make a clam with my home owners insurance.

Wow! I have a 46g bowfront purchased from the same retailer. It is the TFin brand that I got about 5 years ago. Luckily I have not had any catastrophies with it like this. I sure hope I don't

Edited by br553

• 5 weeks later...

Kristi, 1st let me say i am very sorry to hear and see what happened, also Ms. Melissa, very sorry for your loss. I am in the process of looking to upgrade to a 55 gallon tank. Not to beat up on the manufacture of the tank, but could you let me know which brand it was so i don't purchase the same brand.

You know, I don't remember! My bf basically handled everything so I'll ask him if he still has the paperwork. It may not matter anyway because this tank was a special edition of sorts--not something they were going to mass produce. And it may have been more of a design flaw than a production problem. So you should be fine with whatever tank you choose, especially if it's new.

Well, went to smartpet today and guess what--they still have one of these tanks for sale with a sticker inside that said Sept 08! So, I guess they decided to keep making them after all. And get this--the tank had a huge chip out of one side by a corner and they marked the price down but were still trying to sell it in that condition. :o This is the same store I bought my tank from so they know those tanks can be trouble--it's crazy!!

This brand should really not be sold anymore. Like, we should put up those things like in nnnnnn near the return desk (ex--this toy is recalled because uses toxic paint and chokeable parts). Warning: Do not purchase this tank. Spontaneous combusition may occur.