Dog Food Bugs?

Lady_Dodecagon

I'm beginning to believe that if it were not for bad luck I truly would have no luck at all. Today I dished up the morning ration of dry dog food and left Sweetie's bowl sitting on the kitchen table for about 30 minutes while I took care of some other things. When I came back to pick up her bowl to take it out to her, there were these little white things all over the bowl. o.O

Upon closer inspection, I find that these little white things are moving. O.O

I dump the food and check Casey's bowl, and sure enough his is the same way. Taking a closer inspection I find that what I've assumed was dog food dust on the inside of the tub we keep it in is moving as well. Apparantly these bug things have came in with a bag of dog food, so now I have dumped the dog food tub (which the bottom 1" was nothing but powder), washed the tub out with a hose and Dawn, washed the plastic shelving that was beside of the tub, crawled around in the floor with a flashlight looking for crawling white specks, vacuumed like mad, and finally I think I am done. While the tub and shelves dry I will run to get another bag of dog food, but I don't think I'll be keeping it in the tub anymore.

Has anyone else came across little tiny bugs in their dog food? It reminds me of the ones that you get sometime in flour or cornmeal, just little slow moving specks. I just thought it was dust from the dog food, but I had been wondering for a while now why the dog food was so darn powdery when you scoop it up. O.O

*sigh*

After an internet search following a trip for more food and my cleaning spree it is grain mites, and apparently Beneful has had an issue as of late.

http://blogs.trb.com/features/lifestyle/pe...nfesting_1.html

Edited by Lady_D

That's terrible Michelle. Doesn't Tennessee have very humid weather like we do her in Japan? I remember you knew the same hopper bugs we get here- only in damp places. Ive seen those ones in rice and in ramen here. They somehow stay in the pack until its opened and then hatch out when they contact air or something. Hope you got your money back and Casey got anew dinner :)

Yes, I think the humidity is about the same here as it is in Japan, if not worse. These little boogers won't come out if the humidity is low, but that would be next to impossible to do for me.

When I get dog food again I will be swapping not only brands but manufacturers as well. No more purina dog foods for me, especially after I've spent 7 hours washing containers and throwing out countless treats that the bugs had gotten into.

I went to the purina website and used the contact us link. I sent them a complaint about it, but I don't know what will become of it. I told them about the bugs and how I had to throw everything out that had been opened, treats and all.

I'm wondering if these mites have any thing to do with Casey's constantly irritated feet? The vet has said time and again it's an allergic reaction to something, but we can't figure out what it is. I wonder if ingesting these mites could be the issue? When I go back to the vet Saturday I'm going to mention it for sure, see what he thinks.

I went to the store to get more food before I did the net search to find out it was beneful, so naturally I got another bag of beneful. I wasn't able to get a refund for what I had to toss because I had dumped it all into the big tub and there was no bag to put it back into or a receipt or anything. The new bag looks much better than the last one, much brighter coloration and smells better. But when that bag is gone I'm going to give something else a shot. Anyone got any suggestions for a really good dog food?

Well I got a reply from Purina today. I'll copy and paste it below

Thank you for contacting Nestl? Purina PetCare Company.

We are sorry to hear of your disappointing experience with our product. Please know that we follow extensive procedures at our manufacturing plants to ensure that our products are produced under stringent sanitation rules. During the processing of our products, all ingredients are subjected to temperatures and pressures that render them virtually sterile.

Although our pet foods products are packed free of insects, they may gain entrance after manufacturing through the seams of the packaging material. These insects may even bore a hole in the package to get to the contents. These types of insects can also infest grain products such as flour, cereal and cake mixes. For this reason, it is difficult to determine exactly where these insects may have gained entry into the product. We would not expect this type of infestation to cause any health problems in pets, as these insects are not parasitic.

The situation you encountered is an unusual occurrence and certainly not typical of our products. We appreciate you bringing your comments to our attention. They have been noted and are being reported to the appropriate individuals in our Company.

We are most anxious to restore your confidence in our products. Thus, we are mailing a complimentary coupon for your use. Also, to help make up for some of your inconvenience, we will include several high value discount coupons we hope you'll use the next time you purchase Nestl? Purina PetCare Company products. Please allow 7-10 business days for delivery.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site.

I am going to see if my vet thinks Casey's constant allergy issues could be from these mites, and see what he says.

I had the same problem with Purina One for cats. I poured some in my cats bowl and it was full of little bugs. Went to look in the bag it was full of bugs. I took it back to the grocer I bought it from and they refunded my money. Never thought of contacting Purina. They are right here in St. Louis. Oh well no harm done. I am glad you caught it before you gave it to them

I currently feed my Broxi IAMS large breed food. The kibble is a good size for large dogs. I have also fed my dog James Wellbeloved and also Burns whom we have an account with both of which are hypoalerginic foods compared with the IAMS. I am not sure but Burns foods if I recall are available outside the UK I am not sure about James Wellbeloved kibble. The only drawback I find with the second two is that the kibble being aimed at all breeds dont really get chewed by Broxi because they are small.