Heating

I know this will sound strange for a cold water tank, but I was wondering if it is possible to use a small heater in my tank to keep it at a steady temp during the winter? Have it set at maybe 20.c perhaps? I am out at work most days and wont have the central heating on until the evening.

as long as your house temps do not fall too drastically during the day, you really do not need the heater. Fancy goldfish do well in temps 60-65 degrees and even colder for the more hardy varieties like ryukins. In fact, it is beneficial for temps to drop for goldfish during the autumn and winter months. It stimulates their breeding response and adds vigor to them. Just feed them less when you water temps go down, you will probably notice that your fish will be less active when the water is cooler. If you want a heater, invest in a good and set it between 68-72 degrees and your fish will be fine.

That is 18-20C..... if you wish the fish to not have any "dormant period".

I think the problem here would be if he were to have no heat, the fish tank temp. would rise and fall a fair amount as it traveled through the day - no central heat at night, but warmth at other times. If this is a the case, it WOULD be better to put a heater in the tank and keep the water at a steady temp. 18-20C.

As mentioned above, it is VERY important that you get a GOOD high quality heater. In the case of heaters, they are the most common failure in a tank setup- and can cause dangerous problems. A heater that develops a crack can short out in the water. You stick your hand in the tank, completing the circuit, and pick yourself up off your rear 10 feet away. NOT GOOD.

No matter how good a heater you get, get a "checklist" going in your head (or printed on the wall!!) UNPLUG the heater before changing water. Heaters out of water will often crack or overheat or...otherwise fail. A high quality heater will give you a little more "wiggle room", but they are still a great tool that require a fair amount of care.

I keep heaters on both my tanks to maintain a good temperature! I really like my Stealth heater, it is totally submersible! (Felt REALLY weird the 1st time I actually plugged it in & stuck it UNDER the water!!!)