Duck Weed

Guest telescope eye

Guest telescope eye

Im going on vacation in a 2 months and so I am thinking that since no one going to be around im thinking of putting duck weed in my tank ,how long does it reproduce and do fish survive eating duck weed for a week? :krazy:

How do you QT duck weed? That has always been my worry with it.

You can go with a usual plant QT process.

no im not going to be home for 1 week in 2 months .

Then you need to find somebody who can take care of your fish during that time.

Your fish will be fine for a week. Having plants to munch on is a plus, but a week without feeding won't bother them much (especially with winter setting in: lower temps=lower metabolism rate). There was some confusion between the length of your vacation and how far away it is (it's right around Christmas, correct?).

Hornwort is also a decent goldfish plant. Because they can only eat the leaves and it has no roots, they can't completely destroy it, so it will keep trying to grow.

You can dip plants in a bleach solution to make sure they're safe. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=35594

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have Permoxy which I use to QT my plants, but I wasn't sure how safe it was to use with Duckweed considering they essentially eat it in one sitting. But is that the best way to handle it?

Yes, regular chlorine bleach is toxic to fish. It's toxic to everything: that's why it's so great for this purpose. The procedure is to mix up a 1:19 solution of bleach:water in a bucket or pitcher (I prefer a pitcher because it is narrower so is better for submerging large plants). The plant is dipped for a minute or two (not too long or you'll kill the plant), then thoroughly rinsed in tap water, and finally rinsed in water with dechlorinator to help neutralize the remaining bleach. At this point the plant should be safe for introduction to the aquarium.

Parasites, bacteria, and snails/eggs will quickly absorb the bleach and die. In food service, 1 tsp bleach per gallon of water is used for simply wiping down food preparation surfaces, and this is considered good enough to make the surfaces safe for human food. Thus, I have confidence in the procedure we use on Koko's.

Review the link I posted above if you have any more questions about the procedure.

A strainer is required when sterilizing duckweed because it is simply too small to handle.

Edited by A Penguin

Guest telescope eye

righto has any one encountered any rare disease?probally there should be a place where rare disease section people that have experience with the disease can tell people how to prepare for it.