Temp

seheap

I live in a dorm and my 20 gallon aquarium is constantly at about 80o. I know that it's because the heat in my room is on but if I turn off the heat I freeze. Is there a way to lower my tank's temp without freezing myself in the process? I have already turned the lights off all day and that has it down sometimes to around 78o. But for the life of me I can't get it any lower! Any advice?

Thanks

RG

Edited by ryukin girl

I know a lot of us have a fan directed towards the tank...also keeping the lid of the hood open with the fan directed helps a lot...I take off the hood in summers...make sure that your fish dont have a tendency to jump out...otherwise keeping the hood open works in most cases...keeping the lights shut is a good thing too...Increase the aeration...high temperature water has low oxygen dissolved in it...so higher aeration again helps a lot...

I will try to keep the hood open...but my roommate like to spray things in the air and I am afraid of them getting in the tank.

I have a good-sized airstone in there to help with aeration, and I have about two inches less of water then there should be so the filter will disturb the surface more.

Thanks for the help!

i have a full glass hood, no air stone and water level is as high as can be, i have my spray bars pointed up towards the surface so it makes nice ripples. i keep my temp at 78-80 with a heater, the fish always act the happiest at this temp. i have ryukins, unlike commons or comets fancy goldfish prefer warmer temps i have found. so i wouldn't worry about it.

the most important thing is to keep your temp stable, if the room makes the temp around 80 then set your heater to about 78 so if it suddenly gets cold in the room the temp change doesn't shock them.

UPDATE!

Well, for the past three days I have kept the lid on my hood open like JC suggested and have found the temperature to stay stable at about 76-78o. I am really pleased! I have an airstone so I don't have to worry about dissolved oxygen so much now.

I have taken the lid off my hood and told my roommate to keep the spraying to a bare minimum. Hopefully I don't have to post in the diagnosis section again because of this!

Ohhh awesome..it worked..I am glad.. :) ..you can also get a small blow away fan from Wal**mart..Am sure it will get the temp down by at least 2 degrees...but what you have now is good too.. :)

As far as the spraying goes...whenever your roommate needs to spray things in the room...temporarily you can cover the tank with the hood..when everything settles down in like 10 minutes..it can come off again..I do this even when vacuuming the room, to avoid dust getting i the tank.. :) ...so it stays covered for about 30-45 mins...and later comes off again.. :) ...