I Ordered A Python

For those of you who have a python no-spill clean and fill gravel vacuum, I wanted to know what precautions I need to take as I have heard of people accidentally sucking up their fish with it :blink: ! I have seen where you can use a netting over the the nozzel of the vacuum to prevent this but I don't know where to look for one (netting). I finally decided to order a python after my back decided the bucket carrying was enough!! Any helpful hints on using this would be greatly appreciated :D

I watch mine like a hawk when doing water changes. I have sucked up two fish. They were ok but boy did I have a heart attack. Some people put panty hose on them but I want to be able to suck up all the big stuff so I don't.

When I am not cleaning the gravel and just have it taking out water I try to put the opening up close enough to the wall on one side of the tank so that the goldfish cant slip in and get sucked up.

I may have to change how I do mine once the loaches go in (might have to try the panty hose trick) cause I can see one of those getting all the way up in if I turn my back.

I have two ends for mine, one is the gravel vac and the other is a hook of pipe with a bulkhead screen on the end.It so I can put it on a tank with a bare bottom and drain it down without being their to watch it. Watching a tank drain is like watching a pot boil.Best fishesDavidwww....................comI have two ends for mine, one is the gravel vac and the other is a hook of pipe with a bulkhead screen on the end.It so I can put it on a tank with a bare bottom and drain it down without being their to watch it. Watching a tank drain is like watching a pot boil.Best fishesDavidwww....................com

Python- great! You'll never look back.

One thing happens to me is after filling I have to be careful not to leave it in the tank even turned off because it starts to suck out water again- but its not the same kind as yours.

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I have another question.....do I have to plung the vacuum up and down to get it started? That is a real pain in a 55 gal tank :wacko: . And are there any precautions to filling the tank back up with water? Do I need to treat the tank with AquaSafe before I start filling it back up? I usually do this when changing the water with buckets so I supposed it is no different with the hose?

I agreee watching a tank drain....blah! I acidentally bought a filter sock that was WAY to big for what I intended it for. It is as big as the python nozzle! So I decided to try it I can leave it in tank and not worry about the fishes.

When vacuuming I just TRY to keep the fishes away but they like to nibble my are and are curious little buggers! Just keep an eye on them and they will be fine!

The bucket thing...well I was getting some seriously muscle-y arms..... :)

No. All you have to do is stick the tube in the tank and turn on the faucet to get it started. You can either turn the faucet off to conserve water after your suction has started or if you're in a hurry to empty the tank you can leave it on. A lot of people take the end of the hose outside or collect it in buckets because it's got a lot of good nutritional stuff for plants. You will need to put the water conditioner in the tank before you start filling.

I LOVE MY PYTHON!! I decided it really wasted alot of water so I do not hook mine to the sink when I am cleaning & removing water. It pulls the water thru with enough force to allow me to clean all the gravel & I am still removing water after all the gravel is clean! I just run the other end of the hose out the door & into my flower bed......my Ivy grows like crazy!!!! Then when I am finished cleaning & emptying I hook it to the sink & switch the thingee to re-fill & make sure enough hose in in the tank so it can't "fall" back out! I add my Prime while refilling.

But however you use your Python BE CAREFUL! I lost a very beautiful goldie to it once & it was AWFUL!!! :( NEVER leave it unattended!!! I always place a net bag over the end! The goldies are TOO curious & it only takes a second for them to get pulled in!!

Having said that.....I would still NOT be without one!! The Python makes water changes so much better!! I can't IMAGINE going back to a siphon hose & a bucket!! :blink:

Be careful filling it up with it. I like to use buckets to fill the tank because then I can temperature match better. I filled the tank with water straight from the sink and did not relize it was too warm until I was done. Also, I treat the whole tank (with amquel or other dechlorinator) instead of just the amount of water I put in. I don't have a python but it is the same thing as the python. It came with a plastic piece that fits over the end so no fish can get into the tube.

So reading this thread makes me even more confused.

How exactly does a python work? I've never seen one and I don't know anyone who has one. I am not quite sure on the specifics.....is it just a fancy siphon?

i use the foot of a fish net pantyhose and it works like a charm!!! the holes were big enough to let the trash in just find. Also there are some fishnets that have larger holes than others and those work better. be VERY careful with your python!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't so much as turn my back on it. don't EVER turn away from it. I turned my back for 2 mins and it sucked up my lionhead and sucked it's eye out of his poor head! I don't want to scare you from the python because it's a great product just watch it.

O neat! I have always wondered what the fuss was....now I know!

Here is an old thread where I posted the story about Billy & the phython.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=68178

Guest booksandflowers

I'm still a little confused about using a python. In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I worry about re-filling the tank. Is it really ok to put the declorinator in the tank before adding the water straight from the tap? Should the fish be taken out of the tank before doing this? Wouldn't they be coming in contact with both the declorinator and the water that hasn't be declorinated yet? Couldn't this hurt the fish?

I don't think it's strong enough to suck a goldfish unless it's dead and not moving. Also unless you have a fry, the goldfish won't fit in that small hose. If it is getting sucked in, you can quickly turn off the suction right away without going to the water source. The problem I noticed was that when u connect it to the water source, make sure you do it tight so that water doesn't spray everywhere and also at first it was hard getting it hooked into a water source. The thing is so convenient.

I don't think it's strong enough to suck a goldfish unless it's dead and not moving. Also unless you have a fry, the goldfish won't fit in that small hose. If it is getting sucked in, you can quickly turn off the suction right away without going to the water source. The problem I noticed was that when u connect it to the water source, make sure you do it tight so that water doesn't spray everywhere and also at first it was hard getting it hooked into a water source. The thing is so convenient.

Trust me on this one!! IT DOES SUCK UP FISH! Who knows.. maybe my fish was nosy and swam into it but either way the suction got him, he was STUCK, it sucked his eye out AND deformed his mouth. I have pictures that I posted on another thread. The Python is a GREAT product as long as you watch it and don't turn your back. I would never leave my Python in the tank and walk away. If I had to leave the room I'd pull it out of the water.

Just a couple weeks ago thoughtsofjoy's lemonhead oranda got her tail sucked into the python hose as she swam by, and it tore it up pretty bad. She's certainly large enough to escape, but not without some damage.

It is best not to leave the hose unattended even while standing at the tank as the fish can be injured quite easily and quickly. This goes for any siphon hose, but python siphons are especially strong. They're very fast, so the speed more than makes up for the extra time you'll take making sure it's safe.

It is definitely strong enough to suck up a fish. A member on here many years ago had a very large telescope get its head stuck in the end of the hose, and it then sucked both eyes out. :( The fish did end up surviving.

I have a large floating basket (meant for pond plants) that I leave the Python siphon in when I can't be right there next to it. You can also use something smaller like one of those green strawberry baskets. The suction will hold the basket against the end, and it will prevent fish from being pulled up into the hose.

I've had a Python since about 2002. I highly recommend them!! Just use common sense and be careful.