Parasite Garlic Gel Food

scaring

Right now I need to find out how to make this gel food that Trinket told me to make and Lynda explain how tho not in detail. JC picked up the gelatin for me, but I am not sure how much of the jump start food to use and how many cloves of garlic to add to it. I know Lynda said about a cup total, but is that just the food or what? I just want to use one envelope since Trinket said to feed for one week. I tried to figure it out by reading in this section, but these recipes are big time and I just need a strong? garlic food for the parasites for now.

Thanks ;)

Hey Roni. I aim for no more than one cup total of the final mixture. But, the goal of 1 cup, really, is because that's about how much one packet of gelatine can set. and that's kind of a soft set. So, it won't hurt at all to have less than a cup; the gel food will just be a little stiffer. I like it a little stiffer too. It won't dissolve in the tank as fast. It won't even hurt to use 2 packets for a full cup of food.

But, you don't want to make 1 cup of med gel food cuz that's using a whole lot of med food and you won't be able to feed all of that if you make that much. You CAN freeze it for the next time though. But, this isn't exactly med food; it's Jumpstart, so you could make a cup if you wanted because you can feed this whenever you want. And, I haven't really used garlic in a medicinal sense, so I can't say whether the amount would change, but I would add about 1/2 clove per cup of mixture. One of the chubby cloves, not one of those skinny, shrunken cloves. And it has to be smashed and mashed and creamed really well so it mixes throughout. They don't want to be getting a tiny mouthful of hot garlic! lol!

Really, there is no wrong way to make gel food. As long as you use a proportionate amount of gelatine to food and heat the gelatine well, that's all it really boils down to. Aaaaand..... if the food doesn't set, just reheat it and add another packet of gelatine. You can't go wrong. But, here's a more detailed recipe of how I might make it. I don't really measure anything; I just sort of "make it," so, I've had to guess at some exact measurements, but here it is:

1/4 C. Jumpstart, ground fine

1/2 clove garlic, mashed well

1 packet gelatine

Add enough warm water to the ground Jumpstart to make a sauce of about 1/2 - 2/3 cup.

Mix in the garlic. (You can use a blender, if you want, to really puree the sauce well.)

Mix in the gelatine very well.

Heat the mixture on the stove just to boiling.

Pour mixture into a container so that the mixture is about 1/4" thick. Tap container on counter to release air bubbles in the mixture and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes, then put it in the refrigerator to set up.

You can save gel food in the freezer for up to around 6 months. If you pre-cube it in serving size chunks before freezing and then freeze each cube individually, you can take one cube out about 5 - 10 minutes before feeding time and it will thaw perfectly.

I've read some information regarding the organic changes that can occur when heating gelatine with a microwave. This article said that the changes that occur to the gelatine can cause kidney and other organ failure. Of course, this was for human testing and consumption, but I should think the results would be the same for fish, so I've started advocating not using a microwave for heating the gelatine for gel food. You can use it to heat the water and/or the food, just not the gelatine. So, if you can create a recipe that dissolves the gelatine in the mixture AFTER it's been brought to a boil in the microwave, then that would be fine.

Thank you Lynda that was sooo helpful. Just one more question, does the garlic need to be blanched forst or just use while raw?

I saw you posted to JC, that was so sweet. :) Thanks for helping him and me. Ta Ta for now.

That was a wonderfully detailed post from Lynda. I have never blanched garlic in food, mine or fishes, it should be fine as it is, husk removed. For a garlic heavy gelfood I would go as much as 2 cloves a cup. It should smell very potent.