Split Up My Fish?

I've mentioned on here before that I had one ryukin, one fantail and two shubunkins in a 37 gallon.

I purchased a 55 gallon and it's almost ready for my shubunkins.

But now Nemo passed away. He was my ryukin.

Angel, my fantail, is very attached to Bridget and Sebastian. Yesterday I sat at home and watched them for hours, Nemo was hiding and bottom sitting :( and Angel was runnin' around the tank with the two big ones.

Soo, now it kinda breaks my heart to pull her apart from the shubunkins when she seems so attached, and Nemo's gone. This would leave her in the 37 gallon alone until I can get the courage to buy a pearlscale or two.. or another ryukin.

Or, should I make sure to separate these guys because she is a fancy after all. She does get food in the 37, it takes her a while because her mouth is pinched (I'll have to post a picture if I can get one, it's so hard!) but she does eat even with the big guys. She and Nemo would make sure to be at the top of the tank when feeding time approached. :)

Angel also has swim bladder and likes to rest on the gravel every once in a while. The 37 has gravel, the 55 has half river rocks, half bare bottom. :fishtank:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Maybe I'm just being too sentimental about it all.. she could be fine with two new friends.

*It's also getting quite cold outside, and when I woke yesterday morning both my tanks were at the lowest I've seen them, 64. Should I make sure to use a heater? And how high should I set it up for? I'm worried after my experience with Nemo, the water may have been too warm for him. :(

I would put Angel alone in the smaller tank. With her issues it well be easier to medicate and feed her in there away from the fast moving fish. You could get her company (anouther slow type fish like her mabye an oranda? or pearl scale?) or a mirror.

Thank you Hidr! I thought that would be best, although I had to split them up.. guess I'm having a hard time thinking of new fish right now after unexpectedly losing Nemo!

I'm on Goldfishconnection.com and just ordered Medi Gold along with Jump Start - I've noticed that Bridget has white stringy feces which means internal infection? I guess I'm going to have to treat all these guys!

Well, I was going to say that there IS room in the 55 for all three, at least until you get Angel another friend, so I suppose whether you move her with the others or keep her alone would depend on how long she'd be alone. But, then there is the issue of having to medicate Bridget. And, I suppose it is very logical to consider that, whatever Bridget has, the others may have as well, so treating all of them might be a good idea. When was the last time you did a 100% water change on the 37?

Fantails are probably the most hearty of the fancies, but even at that, 65 degrees F is really about as low as fancies should be kept. I wouldn't argue, though, at one degree, i.e. 64 degrees. Your shubunkins, however, can handle lower temps, i.e., 55 degrees F. This is okay, but colder weather is still to come, so if it gets lower than this, yeah, you should probably set up a heater. And, as long as your temp is lower like this, you need to reduce your feedings as they aren't going to eat as much. If you use a heater, you'd want the water at 70 degrees F, just like regular temps.

True, I was thinking about placing them all in the 55 while I clean up the 37 - do a 100% water change and get rid of the undergravel filter, and some of this gravel (I have way too much).

The last 100% water change was about a month ago I do believe, and I'm excited to announce that the 55 is reading..

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrites - 0 ppm

Nitrates - 10 ppm (10 is ok?)

pH - 7.4

:) looking gooddd.

Angel is probably better off with those more like her, and she probably won't be alone too long honestly, if my 55 is ready.. once the 37 is ready after this 100% water change I can put her back and get others, but they'll have to be QT of course.

Thank you Lynda!

Yes, 10 is perfect! That's what I aim for... I mean, for the max highest... I'm a stickler for low nitrates.... anyway. A temporary transfer to the 55 while you do a thorough clean on the 37 is a great idea. Changing out the filter and gravel, you're going to get a bump or a crash of the cycle in the 37, but if you're only putting one fancy goldy back in there, you should be able to control your readings really easily. But, the other option would be to keep them all in the 55 until you're sure the 37 has recycled.

Yep! They're all in the 55 right now, and poor little Angel is not letting up on these shubunkins. I'm starting to feel like it'd be better to leave them be again.. argh! Silly fish. If I did, then I could have another separate tank with the 37 and new fish once it has cycled.

This potassium permagnate stuff.. I didn't find it at Home Depot, and I didn't see it at my LFS. Sears should have it? It's a long drive for me, that's why I'm hesitant on driving out there just in search of that stuff. I really need it to clean up this tank!

Well, as much as all your goldies get along, I would, ultimately, work toward separating the shubunkins from the fancies, but, as they do get along, there's no rush until you've gotten your 37 all up and running and ready to go and you've qt'd your new fish and have everyone ready to put into the 37. I've found that, while most goldies are very social and tend to make "special friends," they are also very adaptable, i.e., Angel may seem like best friends with your shubunkins now, but as soon as you put her with another fancy, it will soon enough seem like they'd always been best buds. And, in a 37 gallon, you could do a total of 3 fancies.

Now, with potassium permanganate, that's illegal in some states, which could be why you can't find it, maybe, so you need to do some research to see what your state's position is. It's illegal in California where I live, so we have to use the lower strength Permoxyn, which, actually, is just fine.

I still didn't find the PP, so I just did a huge water change with thorough cleaning of the gravel and went from there.

When I was trying to find some PP I called places to see if they had it first. Saved a lot of time and gas.

You know what's funny? I'm not so sure how to pronounce this potassium per..ma..g..GAHH :thud and no one else around here helps lol

Bought a few new items for the tanks.. :teehee (I'm broke, yet when there's a little bit of extra money this could be bad! :devilangel )

Best news (for me I guess), my mom has come around! Kinda. Enough to help me out and actually took the time to watch my fish for me while I was gone yesterday.

She told Bridget that she made her dizzy. :lol1 Bridget OWNS the 55 gallon just as she did the 37. Up down up down up down left right left right left right.. she's doing it right now! Crazy fish.

I apologize for not being on so much yesterday! I had a chance to spend some time with some friends after church and I ran with it.

I still didn't find the PP, so I just did a huge water change with thorough cleaning of the gravel and went from there.
When I was trying to find some PP I called places to see if they had it first. Saved a lot of time and gas.

You know what's funny? I'm not so sure how to pronounce this potassium per..ma..g..GAHH :thud and no one else around here helps lol

Tell me about it. I had it written down and the last word seperated out. Per-mang-ga-nate. and still got my tongue twisted,lol.