Stone Is Stuck!

Guest Johnny

I noticed my 2'" bug-eyed moor was standing on its head often this morning - when I tried to hold him still it appears that a stone is lodged in his mouth!

How can I get it out???!!!!!

I noticed my 2'" bug-eyed moor was standing on its head often this morning - when I tried to hold him still it appears that a stone is lodged in his mouth!

How can I get it out???!!!!!

ohhh...just hold the fish gently...and simply pick him out of the water..holding the fish with the face downwards...the fish should be outside the water just above the level of water with face downwards...this shud get the stone out..if this does not work...the use tweezers..but otherwise this shud work..

I merged your posts Johnny. How is the moor now? You need to take the stone out very gently with a pair of tweezers- hold the fish just slightly out of the water and above the tank surface so if he falls he falls to safety. As his mouth leaves the water he will gape and you can carefully extract the stone. Do it in several short sessions not to overly stress him.

Never have the fish out of the water longer than 30 seconds at atime. Please post back and tell us how you are doing!

Exact same thing happened to me. Fiona had a chunk of gravel stuck in her mouth and I was panicked. Luckily we got it out by holding her underwater and gently prying it out with tweezers.

Since goldfish (Some more than others) like to sift through gravel for food, smaller more jagged chunks of gravel can become lodged in their mouths. So I reccomend replacing your gravel with larger, smoother river rocks. Not too big, just a little bigger than their mouths. And remember.....smoooooth = )

Actually, I learned that bigger is better the hard way. I replaced my gravel with smaller riverstones, probably the size of marbles or grapes. Then one day George got one wedged in his mouth so bad that he fell to the bottom gasping!!