I woke up this morning after starting the Maracyn II treatment last night and found Nemo had passed this morning. I must've been too late. :cry1

When I first walked into a new LFS back in February I noticed this little red ryukin all by himself in this huge 29 gallon tank. I felt so bad, and my (now ex) boyfriend said "he could be Nemo," and it stuck. I had to bring him home, give him company and love him. He was my baby boy, the last one to join my gang.

Nemo's First Pic

He had always been shy and compared to the others, he was more of an independent fish but I loved him just the same. He always was the first one to the top of the tank to beg for food.. and often I'd find as I fed my frogs he'd be in the corner closest to me looking at me like "mommy hello!? look at meee I want peas pleaseee?" He always made me smile. My other three Bridget, Sebastian and lil Angel stick together like glue, even Angel being a fantail she tries her best to keep up. Now it looks like the 37 will be hers and hers alone in time.. :(

All Together

Recently, about two weeks ago, I found out he loved having his picture taken. If I just sat in front of the tank with the camera, he would swim back and forth.. back and forth. I got some beautiful pictures that I'll have to post at some point. Nemo was amazing. He always made me smile, he was my sister's favorite of all my fish. My parents always joked that "she" was pregnant because of how big Nemo was (and I do believe Nemo was a she, I never saw breeding stars) and I would insist it was because he was a ryukin. He had a gorgeous hump and precious face. So innocent and beautiful.

My Baby

Showing Off For Mommy

Now I have to go to work.. I don't know how I'm going to survive. I just cried my way through this and there's no end.

Time to go bury my baby.. :cry

BTW - Thank you all for your help throughout all of this.

Edited by ang41087

Oh I am so sorry and sad for you. Its clear from your post how much he was loved and how good a life he had with you.He was very pretty and looked so well and happy in the pics. His memory will live on in those pics. We have all been here where you are now and know how you are feeling. I hope you feel better soon :hug

Thank you everyone. It means a lot.

I just got finished playing Prelude in E Minor by Frederic Chopin for Nemo. Funny how I can't play piano so well (I'm a flautist) but I seemed to master this piece just in time for Nemo..

Love you baby!

Edited by ang41087

Awww sweetie I am soooooooo sorry you lost Nemo... You've been doing sooo good to help out your babies and I really believe there was nothing you could have done differently..It was Nemo's time.. Everything you've done recently including treating him when he got sick just now was right.

I'm sorry I haven't been around that much these days... A lot of it has been that I am really busy, and starting a new job. But another small part of me needed a small mental koko's break I think because I lost Malibu.. Coming on here and seeing her pic was just too heartbreaking for me, and then seeing other people with their sick fish was just a reminder that she was gone... It's only been about a week and a half, and it still hurts. SO I know how you feel right now... I'm imagining you crying your way through this post and my heart goes out to you. I am soooo sorry for your loss... :cry1

RIP Little (or big?) Nemo!

Thank you everyone. I feel so overwhelmed, I tried to get on Koko's more often this past week with the updates of what was going on, but with work and teaching.. its been hard. :no:

I love all you guys for being here for us whenever we need you. :grouphug

another small part of me needed a small mental koko's break I think because I lost Malibu.. Coming on here and seeing her pic was just too heartbreaking for me, and then seeing other people with their sick fish was just a reminder that she was gone...

I know exactly what you mean, Sue. I can't look at Nemo's pictures on here without tearing up. My parents think I'm nuts. It usually helps to be busy, but at work right now.. nothing absolutely nothing is going on. Its just me and the computer.. and that leaves so much time to think of Nemo and what I could've done differently. I waited too long. My baby. :cry

What was even worse was looking at my other three and telling them Nemo wasn't going to be able to join them again. They don't understand, but the symbolism of my words killed me. :(

Thank you everyone. I feel so overwhelmed, I tried to get on Koko's more often this past week with the updates of what was going on, but with work and teaching.. its been hard. :no:

I love all you guys for being here for us whenever we need you. :grouphug

another small part of me needed a small mental koko's break I think because I lost Malibu.. Coming on here and seeing her pic was just too heartbreaking for me, and then seeing other people with their sick fish was just a reminder that she was gone...

I know exactly what you mean, Sue. I can't look at Nemo's pictures on here without tearing up. My parents think I'm nuts. It usually helps to be busy, but at work right now.. nothing absolutely nothing is going on. Its just me and the computer.. and that leaves so much time to think of Nemo and what I could've done differently. I waited too long. My baby. :cry

What was even worse was looking at my other three and telling them Nemo wasn't going to be able to join them again. They don't understand, but the symbolism of my words killed me. :(

I think many of us have been there before. When my favorite goldie died a couple of years ago I didn't come on koko's for a looooooooong time (maybe even a year or more!). But things do get better :heart

Is it safe to say that Nemo's dropsy was due to parasites? therefore I must basically nuke my 37 gallon my fish are in right now to save them from any more harm?

I hadn't done anything different since all four were first placed in the tank in April. :( Soo confused.

RIP Nemo..I am sorry you lost him... :(:heart

I dont think the other guy needs to be treated..he will be fine...Dropsy isn't something that spreads...he should do fine...if you like you could just salt upto 0.1% i.e 1 teaspoon per gallon of tank or even a bit less...for a few days...the other guys should really be ok...just keep an eye...and as I have suggested about the diet in your original thread...go for more sinking foods rather than floating.. :)

I've just ordered MediGold and Jump Start for when I get the new babies to accompany Angel.. and incase my shubunkins are sick, at least it's on hand!

Thank you, JC. I'm going to make sure to do more sinking than floating. :)

I am going to try and catch up with your other threads to try to get a better idea of what happened in the end, and why he passed. But like sunshinegirl said, often one fish can dropsy, and the others won't. For example in Malibu's case, (she was popeyed, bloated and big, only no pineconing) she was the only one that this happened to, although I am treated the others for what might have been the cause. (like you said)..I'll see what I think looking through your threads, and if I can't help we'll get a mod.. That way you know the next step..

And I totally know how you feel. Tearing up when talking to the other fish.. I was just looking at my other three orandas, and they all look so happy and I said to myself, "Malibu should have been there". And now i am tearing up... That' actually why I signed on real quick..

Wow Chrissy you were gone a year? It's bittersweet coming on koko's. On one hand,yes, it brings back sad memories.But on the other, it helps to have others going through it.. And when you're crying a week and a half after a fish has gone (or months in Sheldon's case) most people don't understand it... And here, everyone does..

I feel like I have been focusing on making things better for my other fish. Thats again why I've been gone.. Basically took Malibu's passing as a sign to get things in order, the way they should be. Get the fish room in order, the tanks... and hopefully prevent anything else from happening..

We're here for you Ang : )

Thank you Sue and Kathy. I do remember the threads about Nip, it's so scary how this dropsy just seems to happen. :(

Honestly, I didn't do anything about Nemo's pineconing sooner, I thought it looked like he was pineconed but wasn't sure.. and let it go. I didn't even come here to Koko's immediately.. Nemo didn't seem sick, he was happy and healthy to me! Until he wouldn't eat.. but like JC said, then it's too late, it's kinda like the last stage.

Live and learn. I just wish Nemo didn't have to lose his life as a result of my negligence. :( (of course mom's telling me there was nothing else I could've done and all this.. but I could've taken action sooner!)

Thank you Sue and Kathy. I do remember the threads about Nip, it's so scary how this dropsy just seems to happen. :(

Honestly, I didn't do anything about Nemo's pineconing sooner, I thought it looked like he was pineconed but wasn't sure.. and let it go. I didn't even come here to Koko's immediately.. Nemo didn't seem sick, he was happy and healthy to me! Until he wouldn't eat.. but like JC said, then it's too late, it's kinda like the last stage.

Live and learn. I just wish Nemo didn't have to lose his life as a result of my negligence. :( (of course mom's telling me there was nothing else I could've done and all this.. but I could've taken action sooner!)

Ang, please don't play the what if game. It can make you crazy. I caught Nip as soon as he started and he held on for a week but in the end I lost him anyway. Some do respond and survive if caught early it seems but with others it makes no difference. Dropsy in Goldfish reminds me a lot of Parvo in puppies. There's no real ryme or reason to which will survive and which won't. And it's not always the weaker ones that don't. You did the best you could at the time and that's really all we can do regardless of outcome.

Wow Chrissy you were gone a year? It's bittersweet coming on koko's. On one hand,yes, it brings back sad memories.But on the other, it helps to have others going through it.. And when you're crying a week and a half after a fish has gone (or months in Sheldon's case) most people don't understand it... And here, everyone does..

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was that long or longer! I got really frustrated, I felt like no matter what I did my fish would die. Most of this of course was my own fault, I didn't take advice seriously and was overstocked. Eventually I started to get back into the hobby and whipped my butt into shape :D

Live and learn is exactly right. Unfortunatly with goldies that often is what needs to happen. You can read about diseases etc all day, but when you actually have to recognize and deal with them it's hard. I lost a fish, as I mentioned, to dropsy last year and I'm sure I should have seen it sooner as well. But you can't beat yourself up over it, just know that you DID learn from this and that is a good thing.

She grew big in the short amount of time you had her. Wow! And to see the tip of her fins go from black to white is cool. I'm very sorry you lost her. Everyone here knows what it's like to lose a beloved pet, so you have a wonderful support group! Or community I should say. RIP, Nemo.

Edited by whitner