Shipping Options For Goldfish

Guest trudy_w

Guest trudy_w

We made our trek from New York to Alaska this summer. We left our goldfish with the fish shop before we left as we weren't so sure about taking 3 goldies, 2 small plecos and a betta. The plecos and betta took the 22 day trip with us and the 2 greyhounds in the back seat of my car. Then had to wait another 2.5 weeks before our stuff arrived and the tank unpacked.

Everybody made the trip just fine.

Only problem, there is one "pet store" on the island. The fish supply is very limited.

What are some good options for shipping fancies?

Also - how long can it take safely to ship them?

I live on a remote island off the coast of Alaska, stuff arrives via ferry of plane only and both are weather dependent. I've had a dog door sitting in Anchorage for 2 days because the entire shipment didn't make it on the plane for some reason.

Has anybody ever had any luck getting a nnnn to ship fish for them? I could call the one in Anchorage and they could pack them up when the weather is good and they will be sure to make the plane over here.

Another option is to have somebody bring some over from Anchorage in their carry on - would that work - fish go from the store to the airport and fly back here? Would the store need to do anything special?

The tank has been set up since July... empty :(

I would not be surprised if a store in Anchorage would ship fish for you considering the unique local environment you have, though big-chain pet stores may be a bit too regulated to allow that (big chain stores are censored in this forum... so I don't know which one you referred to). Taking the fish in carry-on luggage would not pass FAA inspection (not allowed to bring any outside liquids larger than 4oz into the terminal), but it should fare well enough in a checked luggage (a rigid one, not a duffel bag), double-bagged, filled with oxygen (don't know how long the trip will be, and there could be delays) and with extra rubber bands sealing the bag shut. Take any precautions possible to make sure the bag isn't opened by airport security (I think they have a sticker just for live animals, though I heard of somebody who shipped coral in their luggage and it died because security opened the bag to inspect it: coral doesn't look alive).

People do ship fish all the time. Pet stores have to order their fish, and there are many internet-based fish retailers. You said that there is a 'pet store' on your island, and it has a limited stock of fish: try talking to them about having them order fish for you. Many LFS's will take a customer's request into consideration when ordering.

When fish are shipped, they are put into large bags (like the ones you receive when you buy a fish, but much larger) with some water and lots of air/oxygen, then usually placed into a Styrofoam box inside a cardboard box. I saw my LFS receive a large shipment of a half-dozen such boxes one time, with several bags in each box. How well the fish will fare depends on its condition prior to, and preparation for, shipping. A fish in good health will take the stress of travel much better than one that is already suffering from parasites/disease. If a fish is not fed for a couple days before shipping, it will produce less waste in transit and thus keep longer in the packaging. Fish that are well-packed should be okay for several days. If there is no way to be sure the fish won't sit in Anchorage for a couple days, make sure you find a retailer that takes great care in shipping its fish.

Many people here on Koko's get their fish from online sellers, so just ask around for suggestions.

Edited by A Penguin

I've shipped goldfish to a few remote places in Alaska but I'd bet the weather window is closing quickly.

I use USPS, the last box to way south of Juno (is that possible) cost about $15.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

Guest trudy_w

Priority USPS usually takes about 5 days to get here, if it doesn't sit in Anchorage for 3 days - which seems normal for stuff with my name on it.

I was going to check with our local petstore, but they had a note on the door "closed - too tired to go on" or something along those lines. Their selection is slim, but the quality isn't great either, so I'm not sure I want fish through them, even if they bring them in for me... just not thrilled with the quality of fish they have

I think I"ll keep hunting for an online supplier unless the restrictions on our med flights are different than the airlines.

Priority USPS usually takes about 5 days to get here, if it doesn't sit in Anchorage for 3 days - which seems normal for stuff with my name on it.

I was going to check with our local petstore, but they had a note on the door "closed - too tired to go on" or something along those lines. Their selection is slim, but the quality isn't great either, so I'm not sure I want fish through them, even if they bring them in for me... just not thrilled with the quality of fish they have

I think I"ll keep hunting for an online supplier unless the restrictions on our med flights are different than the airlines.

Although you may not want to purchase fish from them, you might want to have a conversation with them to find out how they manage their shipping and what's entailed. Clearly, it can be done, but there can be a lot of catches and snags that you need to know about ahead of time and prepared to deal with.

Many airlines require prior approval before fish can be brought on an airplane, whether in carry on or check in bags, so you shouldn' just ask a friend to put a bag of fish in their baggage and hope they'll get by with it. Make sure you research the airlines that fly in your area and what their requirements are and do all the paperwork and get approval before asking a friend to fly in with some fish.

If the airline requires the fish be checked in, you would also need to fully research packing techniques so as to give the best protection for the fish during this transition. In this event, you may want to suggest to the friend you'd be asking to fly in the fish to go to a fish store in their area and see if the store would pack the fish for them. This should be done as absolutely close to the flight time as possible, i.e., only a few hours at most.

Fish must, in the worst case scenario, be on only a two-day shipping turnaround. So, if you are looking at ordering fish from somewhere, you would also need to do some research to be certain that the shipping services around you are capable of providing this service. You must be absolutely certain that a shipment of fish isn't going to be sitting at some holding area for days or, in the alternative, that you would be allowed to come to the shipment receiving location and pick up your package as soon as it arrives and be able to get back home with it in a very short period of time.

If you choose to order a fish and have it shipped to you, it is always best to order from a reputable seller, i.e., Ken at Danda Orandas, but in your case, it is pretty much mandatory. Your situation will put enough stress on a fish as it is, so you need to be absolutely certain you are buying an extremely healthy fish.

:goodluck and I hope you'll be able to get a new tank up and running! :thumbs:

Hi Lynda

Fish can be in a bag for upwards of week if properly package.

I sent fish to Taiwan once, they came back due to a customs fluke and they were just fine when they got back after 14 days.

As part of my day job I ship fish all over the world and it always takes longer than 2 days, 3 to 5 days in USPS is nothing for them if done properly.

Every fish we have comes over in a box with more oxygen than water and more water than fish.

Trudy good luck with your search, I'd be glad to help you find something and if you want to pay for express that's fine too but priority always works.

Best fishes

David

www....................com