I Got My Pearlie!

whitner

Yesterday I went to the pet store thingking they had gotten some more pearlies in. I looked but didn't see any so me and my brother bought a hamster instead. I went back today to get ome treats for the hamster (we named him Butterscotch). I happened to look at the fish and in a tank with little orandas were 3 little pearlscales! 2 of them had buoyancy issues so I got the one that didn't. He's so cute! I haven't decided on a name; I don't really have any options. I thought of Creamsicle because he looks like one with the orange and white. Here are some pics. While he's acclimating:P1050882.jpgP1050885.jpgP1050886.jpgMore to come!

He's so cute! I wish I had a pearlie! What good luck to find him as you were looking for hamster treats!

Okay, more pictures. He's so itty-bitty. I really hope he makes it. He's under observation for the night then I'll take action with Prazi and salt. I wonder what sex it is?

P1050897.jpg

P1050895.jpg

P1050893.jpg

P1050888.jpg

yaaa

so did you get a new tank?

He looks great

I hold off on names until the qt period is complete

Nope. Not yet. He's in a tub. And you're right about holding off on a name til after QTing. I didn't think about that. I just hope I have what it takes to keep him alive. :unsure:

yaaa

so did you get a new tank?

He looks great

I hold off on names until the qt period is complete

Nope. Not yet. He's in a tub. And you're right about holding off on a name til after QTing. I didn't think about that. I just hope I have what it takes to keep him alive. :unsure:

i hope he stays healthy he look cute

i see his tub.

i do that so i don't get too attach to them

He's being bashful for the most part. But he's beginning to venture out. He's eating right now. The flakes I used are beginning to float to the bottom and he's trying to catch them. He's such a good swimmer! Haha.

he's adorable!! i :heart him! make sure you soak his flakes before you give them to him...pearlies are super sensitive as far as swim bladder. might be a good idea to read the post about pearlies in the goldfish of the month section... i learned a ton about pearlies from there...ranchugirl did an awesome job.

Oh, yes, I know about that. He didn't even notice the flakes at first so they had time to soak. He looked like he was having fun catching them as they floated to the bottom. LOL. :)

I want to do a water change eventually. But I only have one siphon and one bucket that I use for Coco's tank. Should I use a different one for the pearlie?

Awww..he is sooo cute...adorable baby..I luv him.. :) ... :heart

I always keep my QT siphon separate...this avoids any baddies from getting into ur Coco's tank...its a good idea to have a different siphon.. :)

I only had one siphon for both my QT and main tank. I just sterilized it in hydrogen peroxide and then rinsed the ba-gee-bus out of it with steaming hot water. Nothing transferred to my main tank and it saves you about $15

I only had one siphon for both my QT and main tank. I just sterilized it in hydrogen peroxide and then rinsed the ba-gee-bus out of it with steaming hot water. Nothing transferred to my main tank and it saves you about $15

I thought about doing that. I think I will until I can get a separate siphon.

The little guy is loving his new home. I can't get over how good a swimmer he is. I guess because I just assumed pearlies would have a hard time. I asked the pet store if they were getting pearlscales in regularly for now on and she said yes. Maybe one day they'll get ranchus and lionheads! Haha. Lord help me if I don't get a big tank by then. I'll have rubbermaids all over my room! :krazy:

He is a cute little one. Why are you treating him for illnesses when he looks fine? I never treat fish in QT unless they are sick.

Yes, but you must assume that they have brought something with them as it is highly likely they have. Most sicknesses aren't seen until they're almost too late. Why take a chance of letting it get that far? Salt and prazi is traditional, standard qt practice. Salt and prazi can't hurt anything and it's a far better "safe than sorry" appproach. I, and most of us here, wouldn't do it any other way.

Your pearly is darling! I had a pearly and I thought she looked like a creamsicle too! My little pearly was very, very active and adventurous. But, when I got her, I didn't know about qt-ing and she brought something with her from the store. She was so active and healthy acting and then, all of a sudden, she just got sick almost overnight. I wish I had known about qt-ing. Here's hoping that your pearly grows up into a nice, fat healthy beauty! Congrats!

Yes, his eyes are all black! It's kinda freaky looking, but he's just so adorable. I just fed him and he's waiting for the flakes to float to the bottom to he can go after them. It's so funny. He's only about an inch long so to see him "waddle" and zip around his home makes me giggle. He LOVES that plant, too. That's his hangout spot if he's not searching for food.

I haven't treated him for anything yet. He does seem fine, but since putting him in the tub it's going through a cycle bump. It went so long without a fish in there. Nothing major, but I want to get the params where they need to be before I put Prazi and/or salt in there. I want to treat him just in case he does have any bad bugs.

I hope he grows BIG fast. It'll be the excuse I need to get a bigger tank. Haha.

Oh yeah, I bought a separate siphon and bucket today.

Lynda, how long was your pearlie active until it got sick? I hope that doesn't happen with mine. EEK!