Nemo's Got Dropsy!

I'm petrified, guys.. I really didn't think I'd end up with a sick fish! Nemo pineconed as I had thought previously, those red spots must've been associated with the dropsy, his face looks bloated.. :( my poor baby!

I rushed to the lfs tonight after work and grabbed Maracyn II and started treatment with him in the ten gallon QT tank. It's got the filter hooked up, just a little one that went with the ten gallon when it was purchased, he's got a bubbler and a plant.. he seems to be happier alone (I think he prefers it while the other three are attached to one another :blink: ) and mom said she had just fed my fish (didn't mention whether or not he ate) he seemed "better" in her words. He does though, he goes from bottom sitting looking awful to swimming around looking ok.. this morning was the first time I noticed he wasn't eating or moving so much.

I hope I caught this in time.. thank you Claire and Leslie for all of your help!

Now I've just gotta pray. :please

we need to water information

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

make sure to keep water at good levels and that you raise the temp to 80 degress F

Edited by FishCrazy

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 5 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 76F and going up - added heater (this morning my 37 had hit 64F! definitely added heater)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? QT tank, just started it back up tonight 10 gallon

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? its one that came with the 10 gallon, a WMart special thing

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? in 37 gal. once a week 30-50% water change

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish in the 37, one ryukin Nemo (now in quarantine), one fantail, two shubunkins until 55 gal is ready

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? aquarium salt, Stress Coat with aloe vera

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, peas, crisps or flakes

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? QT tank is starting Maracyn II treatment tonight

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? red spots on Nemo's belly, looks bloated and pineconed

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? started to refuse food this morning, bottom sitting, hiding..

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by ang41087

Good you have Nemo in the QT...would be nice if you can add an airstone...To cure dropsy..MaracynII is ok...but you definitely need epsom salts and MetroMeds...you can order it from goldfishconnection.com....these are very essential...cos during dropsy there are parasites inside the system that need to be attacked...

Epsom salts is just epsom that you get at Wal*greenS or Longs**Drugs....you will have to add 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons...only 1/4th teaspoon for you...mix it in a small cup before..dissolve it completely and only then add it to the tank...epsom can be added while MAracynII is in there...but make sure there is no aquarium salt in there...aquarium salts and epsom salts should NOT be mixed..so if needed do 2 50% water change...and then carry on with the epsom..make sure you complete the Maracyn2 course since you have already started...I think its 5 or 7 days...

and MetroMeds is the most essential...you might have to order them and overnight the shipping..since Nemo refuses to eat..there maybe an alternative I am not aware of...but as far as I treated my fish for dropsy Metromeds was advised and she recovered too..30 days of metromeds...Hope you get them and any questions ask us.. :)

hope it works for you and Nemo recovers soon..

Thank you JC. I'll have to read again and learn everything incase this happens again. Unfortunately Nemo passed this morning. :( I keep thinking about my other three.. looking at them and saying "don't you pinecone or I'm gonna knock you sideways" too bad Angel already swims sideways most the time. :D

I just looked at his pictures again and cried. It's so hard it was so unexpected. But I honestly waited too long to post a picture and ask "is this pineconing? or just a ryukin getting fat?" .. he had been pineconed for a while, just started to refuse eating yesterday morning. I even recall telling my mom over a week ago possibly "he kinda looks pineconed, but I'm not sure. That would mean dropsy which is more than likely fatal.. I hope not." :(

Ohhh I am soo sorry... :( ..I was really hoping he would live...The key to getting a fish back from dropsy is early diagnosis...Dropsy usually starts with popeye...so its always a good idea to spend 10 minutes everyday looking at your fish..trying to see for any known symptoms...just by observing...Refusing to eat is usually the last stage... :( ...I am really sorry this happened...but it will make you more alert in caring for the other 3...and always good to have MetroMeds... :) ...And in future if you have a slightest doubt of wats going on just ask...never hurts..ppl here will more than glad to help you.. :) ..than to see a fish go away.. :(

RIP Nemo.. :cry1

Thank you so much.. I knew it was a long shot but I had to try to treat him, you know? He was my baby and I'll never forget him. I should've jumped on Koko's as soon as the thought of pineconing hit me rather than wait it out and then watch him suffer, I really hope he wasn't in too much pain.

You've already taught me something.. not eating is the last stage I'll never forget that now. :hug Thank you.

Oh..and since we are at it...just a suggestion...do you soak the crisps and flakes you feed them??...actually this can cause them to gulp a lot of air...things always mess up with floating food...I would suggest you getting some sinking pellets like Progold from goldfishconnection.com...or even Hikari sinking foods...to add some variety...soak these pellets too before feeding, easy for them to chew and digest.. :) ...Also vary the diet with some vegetables like blanched spinach, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, in addition to peas....fruits like orange, kiwi and frozen foods like brine shrimp or bloodworms...Varying diet and soaking foods shud help them be more healthy...you can also make them gel food..you can find a lot of good healthy recipes in the food section.. :)

And 100% water changes once a month. We worry about keeping our ammonia level down, but we can test that to see where it's at. Unless we have a microscope and know what we're looking for, we can't test for bacteria. So, the only way to try to stay on top of that is with 100% water changes once a month or so. It's the nasty, sneeky bacteria that's the real devil!

Thank you Claire. I know I shouldn't beat myself up over it, just miss him.

Even my mom came in last night, looked at my tank and said "wow, it looks empty" - he was the color that filled it. :)

Like I said in my other thread.. live and learn, and I'll never forget my Nemo. :heart

I'm so, so sorry you lost Nemo. Hang in there and keep an eye on your other guys. Definitely don't feel guilty...though that's a normal reaction, you've done the best you can and cared for him through the end.

• 3 weeks later...