Filter Lost Suction?

I came home today and my Penguin Biowheel 200 had lost all suction -- the water had drained out of it and the motor was just *cranking* on nothing.

The other one in the tank, a BioWheel 100, was working fine.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or was it just a freak thing?

Sounds like it may be the impeller. Did you try taking it out and cleaning it? It may have just gone bad. If so and the motor didn't burn itself out,you can buy a replacement impeller. Some of the others here may have a better idea of what went wrong.

I was going to suggest looking at the impeller too. If you pull the tube out, the little metal bar should move up and down freely. My penguin 100 always seems to get little hairs stuck in it. I just keep moving it up and down and pulling out any hair I see. A pair of tweezers can make the job easier.

My penguin 150s never gives me trouble, but the 100 needs de-hairing every week!

Hmm, now that I think about it, when the impeller stops working, it tends not to crank at all. You could also check that it is seated correctly, and that all the tube pieces are fitted together tightly.

Ahahaha, yeah, I haven't ever even looked at the parts of my filter that aren't, you know, easily visible.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys -- I'll give the impeller a look-over and see what's up. :)

That happen to me before but as it turned out... it was because my fish got sucked up... poor guy!

Gah! :blink: I'm... I'm really glad mine were all present and accounted for. Otherwise I'd have had to challenge my filter to a duel. "You killed my Chester! Prepare to die!"

That happen to me before but as it turned out... it was because my fish got sucked up... poor guy!

Gah! :blink: I'm... I'm really glad mine were all present and accounted for. Otherwise I'd have had to challenge my filter to a duel. "You killed my Chester! Prepare to die!"

I'm with you on that one! Well, what happen in my case was I left for a week and a friend was coming over to feed them. The filter tube that goes into the water fell off and she just didn't put it back on. It NEVER fell off for me so that makes me think she had her hands in my tank or was poking around with the net.

Did you get your filter working again? Did the noise stop?

I'm with you on that one! Well, what happen in my case was I left for a week and a friend was coming over to feed them. The filter tube that goes into the water fell off and she just didn't put it back on. It NEVER fell off for me so that makes me think she had her hands in my tank or was poking around with the net.

Did you get your filter working again? Did the noise stop?

See, this is why I am afraid what'll happen if I ever need a friend to fish-sit....

And yep! The filter is working perfectly; the only thing I can guess is either a) the impeller was messed up somehow, although it looked fine when I checked on it, or b)... maybe we had a power outage I wasn't aware of? It's the only other thing I could think of, although my clocks weren't reset....

Mysteries!!

I learned from my dad that most of the time all it takes to fix something is to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together correctly. Somewhere in that process it gets fixed...

I learned from my dad that most of the time all it takes to fix something is to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together correctly. Somewhere in that process it gets fixed...

::: Laughs :::

My dad says basically the same thing.

The problem is, the chances of me putting anything I've taken apart back together correctly is slim to none... ;)

I look at it this way.....if the filter IS broken I'll have to replace it, but if I take it apart(lay everything out neatly), clean it real good & put it back together & it RUNS......Woohoo! I DON'T HAVE TO REPLACE IT!! I find a good cleaning usually does the trick!