Sinking Food

jody

My oranda's wen has grown over his eyes, so he is blind. The only food he can find is stuff that sinks to the bottom where he can find it. Any floating food and he has no idea how to find it. Does anyone know what the best food that will sink? I have tried peas and they work but I don't think he can live on these alone.

Edited by jody

I use Progold and Hikari Lionhead too... :) ..nice foods...

have you considered trimming the wen???...it would just help him see... :) ..there are many experienced members on the board who can direct you..also there are threads where the procedure is explained in detail... :) ..just a thought.. :)

Great thanks for the help. I will see tomorrow when the local pet store opens if they can get pro-gold. If not I will try another that you have mentioned.

I have thought of wen trimming but I would have no idea where to start. I would be scared to hurt the fish but I am willing to give it a try.

I got my Pro-Gold today at last from www.mops.ca. Thanks Chrissy_bee for the link. I'll be feeding my little guys some when I get home tonight. Is there any need to soak this food before adding it to the tank?

And I got the 2lb bag.I am thinking of breaking it up into smaller containers and then storing it in the fridge. Do you think that is the best way to store it?

yayyy...Pro Gold is here.. :)

yes, soaking is a good idea...becomes a little mushy and easier on the guys to eat...but not too long...I do it for maybe less than a minute...it starts breaking after sometime...so just to get it a bit wet... :) ...

Storing...am not sure..I was told taht these foods have a shelf life of about 6 months...as new foods are packed with proteins but when opened lose it over time becos of coming in contact with air and moisture...But refrigerating is a good idea...I refrigerate the medicated food as per Trinket's advice...never thought of Progold..Maybe some more experienced members or mods can help you on this.. :)

My Tuck loves frozen Bloodworms as well. I thaw them in a little dosing cup first. Then turn off the cannister filter so they sink quickly rather than being scattered all over the tank. He must smell them cause he comes bumbling lickity split to where they are,lol.

My Tuck loves frozen Bloodworms as well. I thaw them in a little dosing cup first. Then turn off the cannister filter so they sink quickly rather than being scattered all over the tank. He must smell them cause he comes bumbling lickity split to where they are,lol.

Charlie does the same. :)

I would not consider trimming the wen unless it is really affecting the way your fish swims or is something life threatening. A lot of orandas have thier wens grow over their eyes. Your fish relys on other senses such as smell to find its food. If your fish is swimming well and is eating and healthy,I would never consider such a procedure.