Snail Question

I recently had to move my pleco out of my goldfish tank. He was peaceful (though I thought) for the past year with my goldfish. I witnessed him a week ago during feeding time running into my goldfish to push them out of the way :bump: ! I thought at first something must have spooked him. I noticed after that that he seemed to do it every time. I was afraid he would really do some damage with those sharp "watchacallums" on the ends of his fins. Now, I wanted to know about how snails do with goldfish. The problem is that I don't want a tank full of snails as I know they tend to multiply! I don't trust any of the plecos now because of what I have read and seen. Any advice on how to keep the algae down?

I have apple snails in my tank for now. (well have to remove them before the dojo's go in) They are great fun (they wont eat the slime off your goldfish like the common pleco's do) and you can control the population by removing the egg sacks. They put them right above the water line and sometimes on the tank lid so easy to remove.

• 1 month later...

The best snail for aquariums are japanese trapdoor snails. They don't lay eggs and they're not asexual and they reproduce very slowly. Also they eat algae but rarely eat plants. Any way you look at it, they're the best snails for goldfish or tropical fish.