After The Spawn......

BruceP

In the last couple of months we have had spawning activity in all three of our main tanks. We have had a couple of the females die not too long after spawning (2-3 weeks) and their stomachs were very mushy. Two weeks ago we had a ryukin spawn and the same female spawned again yesterday . I did try to help her expel the eggs yesterday and noticed a softness to her belly but not mushy like the ones that died. She has been rather lathargic and occasionally sits on the bottom of the tank ever since the first spawn. I think they are not expelling all the eggs and possibly going septic. Is there a way to be sure that they expell all the eggs or is there something we should treat them with post spawning?

I'm sorry no one has responded to your post when you needed help. I have never bred my goldies nor have I even had surprise clutches of eggs that hatched, but I just wanted to jump on and say hi and give this post a bump in the hope that someone who has some experience might come on and give you some advice.

Here is an article I found on Goldfish Connection about hand-spawning. Now, this is to control the breeding situation, but I'm sure it would be completely applicable to inducing egg laying in goldfish that can't release their eggs as well. It's risky, but if you have fish dying from egg compaction, then it may be a risk you'd want to take.......

Hand Spawing Goldfish

Thank you for the reply and link.

I have given her two Baytril injections and will give her a third tomorrow. She seems to be responding and we are cautiously optimistic. I have to just figure out why this is happening as these are show fish and I hate loosing any of them.

Bruce I think one of the things that is well undercovered is the exhaustion the female fish experiences after releasing eggs. The frenzy of breeding behavior, especially when the female is outnumbered by males is very tiring and especially so in tanks where there is often nowhere for the female to get away/hide and have a break. I recommend you remove the female fish to her own cycled tank to give her some down time in a non stressed environment. I learnt this after losing a favorite female fish in the same way. Bottom sitting after releasing eggs is a sign of exhaustion. Exhausted fish and fish that have high level stress immediately then pick up bacterial infections. The first pit-stop here in my opinion is to let the fish have a totally stress free recovery period from the tremendously exhausting business of releasing tons of eggs every few days and being chased around the tank.