My Trop Tank

Chrissy_Bee

I just took a few snaps of my 20 gallon tropical tank. I added some 'hermit crab gravel' the other night (it just had riverstones before) and I think it really looks good. The cories especially seem to appreciate it, they can find their food so much easier now!

The only thing I want to improve now is the plants. I bought a better light and started fertilizing, but my amazon sword in particular isn't doing well. It grows, but not taller, and it has a constant growth of hair algae. The lacy java fern on ther other hand nearly overtakes the tank, I actually have to prune it :P

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

Not all swords grow tall. The last two I got said 8 to 18 inches and they have been staying short. I feel I am doing great when they just live. lol

If you want something tall try some vals they well get very very tall. lol

Oh and Otos should help with your algae issue. Or you can try having you lights on less. Like 8 to 10 hours. Or what I do is lots of fast growing plants something like duck weed and my goldfish love it too. Oh water change day I always take some of the duck weed out for the goldfish.

Not all swords grow tall. The last two I got said 8 to 18 inches and they have been staying short. I feel I am doing great when they just live. lol

Well I'm doing good then, because I've had that one for about 4 or 5 years now!

If you want something tall try some vals they well get very very tall. lol

I know, I have one in my goldie tank! I really love it, maybe I will get a couple more for the trop tank.

Oh and Otos should help with your algae issue. Or you can try having you lights on less. Like 8 to 10 hours. Or what I do is lots of fast growing plants something like duck weed and my goldfish love it too. Oh water change day I always take some of the duck weed out for the goldfish.

Hmmmm, duckweed is a good suggestion. I tried ottos and have been having rotten luck with them. Only one of 4 has survived, but at least he is thriving.

Ya otto's are hard to keep they want perfect water all the time. And die at the drop of a hat. Duckweed is great. Many people don't like it cause once you have it you cant get rid of it. But I love it. Moslty cause the goldfish love it and I don't have to feed them any peas. lol

Fish? I didn't say there were fish in there ;)

Just kidding, yes they are a bit shy when I'm banging around in front of the tank. I have a lot of more dull colored tetras, like black skirts and 'xrays' so they don't show well on camera.