Oh My Lord Termites!

kittyfiends

I just noticed the wood on my front door has been eaten by TERMITES! :krazy: I have to get a guy here to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I have five goldfish in a 55 gallon. I'm pretty sure the place is going to have to be tented. I was going to put these fish in my 29 gallon temporarily, Maximum 3 days at my neighbors house next door. I'm going to take all the filters and everything off 55 and put it on the 29. I really don't want to move the 55 and my neighbor doesn't have room for it. But my question is can the empty tank stay in the house during the fumigation if i wrap it up really well, or should I move it into my shed? Anyone else have experience with this?

I would move it to the shed. The only time I've ever had my house fumigated my dad set off a bug bomb....there was a film on everything afterwards. I'm not sure if this would happen with a professional bug bomb but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Having to have your house taken over by the exterminators cannot be easy. I would have to agree with everyone- one less thing to worry about. When the exterminators have been in and out, at least you will be able to get somewhat back to life as normal, without those few days of worry about whether or not your tank is safe for your water babies or not.

DO NOT FUMIGATE!!!!!!! Not only will it poison YOU but it will poison your fish as well. It takes years to out gas and even though it gets less and less over the year it is still there and you are breathing in small amounts. Remember this stuff kills bugs so it can kill you as well. You can get cancer, MS, MCS, ALS or worse all from the poison they use. I have reseached pesticides for years. FIND an alternative. A safe all naturally pesticide. If you can not find a safe pesticide that kill termites use a bait. I REPEAT DO NOT FUMIGATE That stuff is bad news. The pesticides companies want tell you how bad either, most of their workers don't even have a clue. If I was given the choice of pesticides or termites I would chose the termites hand down. You can do what you want, but I know what can happen to you, so I could not sit by and say nothing. I deal with people all day long that were poisoned by pesticides and most got poisoned by having their houses treated. Good Luck.

A good fumigator will test pesticide gas concentration at a parts per million level to see if it is safe in all rooms. If you're paranoid, have another company check for you when they're done.

Baits don't get all termites in all areas of the building.

And I'm not sure where you heard tent fumigations cause cancer, the only thing my google-fu came up with was soil fumigation.

That is my profession. I work with poisoned people all day long. If it will kill a bug IT WILL HURT YOU and slowly KILL you too. I know what I am saying. I see sick people all day long that have been poisoned by all kinds of pesticides. Do what you want. I have just finished writing a book on pesticides.

Oh yea and paranoid I am not. I am extremely well read. Only a fool would do something after learning the truth. I do not blame people for being uneducated but I do blame them after they learn the truth and still do the things they do.

I will say that I have had my house tented as I live in south florida as well and the bug people told me i could leave the tank in the house (obviously not with fish in it)....What I did was take all the fish out with me and I put the tank outside (and wrapped up) so the tank couldnt be tainted. Just my .02.....The gas disapates before you enter the house....It's unfortunate that you have to gas but Termites in south florida are very tough and tenting seems to be the only thing that works.....

I also have, in a less direct way, worked with homeowners who have had to have their homes tented. I worked for a law firm that did HOA Law; that is, they represented homeowners associations, basically, against homeowners who broke the HOA rules or defending the HOA against homeowners who sued the HOA for various reasons, one of which was tenting/fumigating.

I have to say that evidence was presented by the homeowners in these tenting cases that made chemical fumigation a serious concern. Of course the company is going to tell you that they "test" afterwards for "safe levels" and of course they're going to tell you that everything is okay. What else are they supposed to say? I mean, think about it, how would it look if you brought a company in and had them chemically fumigate your home and then they test afterwards and tell you, "oh, and by the way, your home is now full of low level poisons that, over time, will cause respiratory and nervous system damage and possibly death, so, if it were me, I wouldn't move back in, but you can go ahead and move back in because that's our "corporate" position."

And then, of course, there is always the "green" factor that we should be concerned about. We've already poisoned this earth enough.

I would strongly urge you to consider alternate methods for extermination, i.e., electro-gun, microwave, or orange oil, for instance. There are services out there that are sucessfully doing non-chemical treatments. If you choose a non-chemical method, you are keeping your home, your pets and your loved ones safe, you are taking steps to a greener planet AND you won't have to move out of your home. This is a win-win situation for everyone. ECOLA Termite Services Orange Pest Control Services

Edited by Lynda Von G

http://www.thebestcontrol.com/bugstop/control_termites.htm

Here's some very scary reading for you--tells how the EPA even admits that just because a poison is registered with them it doesn't mean it's safe. Also, some of the inert ingredients that are mixed in are more poisonous than the active ingredient!!

This article recommends using borax and hot water. Says New Zealand treats all their wood used for homes using borax since the 1950's and they still have no problem with termites. The big chemical companies here don't want us to know about that.

Every time I hear something like this, I think "surely it can't be THAT bad... they must be exaggerating, or have a biased point of view" But in my Philosophy of Science class I learned about all sorts of terrible things that go on all around us, and the truth is that somebody thinks it's a good idea or has a way to justify it, or the practice simply hasn't been questioned by anybody.

To get back on topic: That really sucks that your house has termites... even after they're dead the damage will still have been done. Some houses need major repairs after termites eat them. I agree that the tank should be moved outside just to be absolutely certain it's safe.

Well.... I had a few termite people come here. They say I have formosan subterranean termites, and they don't tent for those.

Unfortunately they are a super termite, and can cause a lot of damage. They ate the top of my door frame and most of my crown molding around the door.

But anyway they drill for this. I found a company that claims they can find the nest with an infrared light.

http://www.jetttermites.com/page3.html

Basically it's between these people and Truly Nolen. I'm waiting to get their written proposal and read the fine print.