Sick Lionhead

Guest RyanZ

Hello again well here's my problem. I was givin a 3 Inch lionhead free from a LFS in my area. it was bottom sitting and doing a headstand at the time. My wife loved how cute he was so we decided to try and treat him.

First thing i did was hold off on feeding him for 3 Days and then feed him some blanched veggies. He seemed to be doing really good he is still in the QT tank i went three a round of general cure on him.

Here is my problem now he seems VERY pron to going to the surface and just sitting there sucking up air. when i do feed him its always soacked sinking pellets.

Water quality is good

PH 7.8

Ammonia is 0

Nitrated at about 20

Have had similar problems with an oranada in my main tank getting all full of air but this guy seems to be at the point were he is having suck a hard time staing submerged that he is just prone to going to the serface to stay right side up.

Any pointers would be a help. he is not a good swimmer his rear fins are sumwhat deformed you could say one side is undeveloped compared to the other. but they all deserve a good home in my eyes. Not sure of any other deseases he may have had when i bought him. aside from the headstands he does and sitting at the surface he swims around happily and eats well

I'm no expert but I know two things from experience....gasping at the surface is very often directly related to not enough oxygen. Try to make the surface agitated as this is dissolve oxygen in the tank. I like to use airstones, they are helpful and inexpensive.

The other thing I know is you should always copy and paste the box of questions above and answer them. That way someone with more experience than me will be able to help you sooner and not have to go through the long process of asking you each question individually. :)

I agree with RyukinGirl..we would need all the parameters from the box above...

From the behavior as I understand...this could be a case of flukes...I think since he wasn't well when u got it...he must be experiencing flukes already...Did you Prazi him..I would suggest getting Hikari Prazi Pro from your LFS if available or you can order it online from goldfishconnection.com....Also with the QT process have you salted his tank???...it is extremely important to treat flukes when QTing...do you see any blood streaks on the fins or the throat area...my fish tend to get red spots on their throat...and thts when everyone here was very positive of treating with PRazi..Nonetheless details from the box above will be very helpful...

Yes to salting. There is an airstone in the QT tank and a bubble wall in main tank as well as agitated serface water from the filter

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? Not Sure

[*]Nitrate level? 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Have not tested

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Hagen Drop test

[*]Water temperature? 75

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 18 Gallon qt tank abouyt 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Filter on QT tank is nothing speacial on of those water fall filters

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 in QT now

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? a cycle additive and aquaplus de chlorinater

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? tetra exotic sinking pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? just finished general cure

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? fins seems to be growing in unnaturally not sure if its related just seemed like a deformaty

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? headstands mostly and sitting at the surface not gasping for air just seems like hes gonna float up there anyways so he wants to be right side up.

Do you have Prazi for treating flukes?? I think that would be a pretty reasonable treatment to go for right now...Can you manage to get Prazi???...I am not sure of an alternative..I think PC tabs work...I ll see if I can ask a moderator to look into this...but if possible in the meantime try getting Prazi...maybe call and check with your LFS if they carry it...

Sunshine girl is right, all new fish should be treated with prazi - and flukes will have fish hovering at tank sides. He may also have some internal worms and I would feed him a course of internal prazi as in Jungle anti- parasite food. Fish infested with worms do head stand.

If these measures fail, and as you say aeration and water is good, you may be have a fish with swimbladder disorders. So you'll need to work out a diet that suits him and causes the least internal bloat (which is when the airsacs responsible for balance have to work their hardest).

Thank you so much for dropping in Imo.. :D

Ryan, you could really use the advice Trinket has for you...start with the Prazi...its a treatment and usually should be done for a month..The way to go about it is as follows:

1) Do a 50% water change. You could put the salt in...or you could just leave the tank without adding any salts..ur call... :) ..My take would be do not add back salts at the moment. Take any carbon out in the filter...This is necessary as carbon will absorb all the medication thereby making the treatment ineffective..so if you have filter pad with carbon..make a slit and remove the carbon.. :)

2) Add the dose of Prazi as directed on the bottle. The one that I had, needed 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. Add the dose...and since you have a temperature of 78 already..I would not worry about it as we need a warmer temperature of the water for the treatment..if possible get it to 80..but that is the max temp you want for your goldfish.. :)

3) After 24 hours do another 50% water change with a thorough vacuum of the substrate and bottom...and add back the entire dose of Prazi..meaning if it was 1 teaspoon..add back 1 teaspoon of Prazi back to the tank after the water change. Some people debate on adding only half the dose...but again ur call...Prazi is a gentle medicine so it would not hurt the fish at all. Also if you need to do a bigger water change for any reason, feel free to do that..just add the whole dose of Prazi back.. :)

4) Continue this vacuuming and adding Prazi dose back for 3 days at interval of every 24 hours. On the 4th day do a huge water change I would usually do a 80-85% water change..so that you dont have to move the fish...Moving can cause stress and lets avoid that.. :) ...So do a huge water change...and just let the fish be as is in fresh water for 2 days...Of course if you need to change the water due to cycle process or bad water parameters go for it...just dont add any Prazi for 2 days...

5) After 2 days of break, start the course of Prazi for 3 days and then again give the fish a break of 2 days...

6) Continue this process of 3 days Prazi and 2 days break for 30 days...The flukes should be taken care of. :) ..Vacuuming is necessary to take out any cysts or eggs of the fluke parasites...so that new ones dont hatch.. :)

As Imo says you might need the Jungle anti parasite medicine as well...which is available in Wal*maRT..and many othe chain lfs too...I hope this sounds ok...if you have any questions please let us know and keep us posted.. :)