Hi Again - Got A Poorly Oranda

Guest fishyfishyfish

Guest fishyfishyfish

I've transferred my biorb fancies to my main tank as they had outgrown the biorb.

They had been perfectly fine in the biorb for 12 months

I've put them in my main tank and now the Ryukin is fine but the long finned oranda has just been bombed out on the bottom of the tank.

It looks in perfect condition and every now and again has a swim with the other fish but it's not eating and i fear unless something changes it will starve. It's been like this since saturday.

My tank conditions were:

0.3% salt (for introducing new fish) i have since reduced to 0.2% yesterday

6.5 ph

7d kh

0 nitrate

0.25 nitrite

My biorb conditions were

0.0% salt

6 ph

<7d kh (it was lower than the scale measured)

0 nitrate

0.25 nitrite

Also the temperature in the biorb was a few degrees higher than the main tank

So any info or guidance would be very much appreciated, the other fish arent bullying it in any way they just seem to ignore it and let it get on with moping and laying at the bottom of the tank all day.

Your .25 nitrite reading shows that your new tank is still cycling, did you transfer any filter media/gravel over from your bioorb? Also, do you have an ammonia test kit and what kind of filter do you have?

In addition to the nitrite, your pH is low for goldies but my guess right now is that the nitrite is the issue. You need to do a large waterchange asap to get that down. If you have any Prime adding that will help as well.

I agree Chrissy....The PH is low.....becareful you don't get a PH crash.....I'd do a 50% waterchange.....Your KH doesn't seem too low but I would definitley keep any eye on your PH....I prefer mine to be in the 7.6 to 7.8 range....As for the Oranda I bet the NitritItes are affecting it......which the water change will help....I would check the ammonia/nitrites/PH twice a day minimum till the water parems are all good

Good Luck !

Guest fishyfishyfish

It wasnt a new tank i put them into it was a 50 gallon tank that has been set up 5 years with other oranda's, and the 0.25 nitrate issue is actually an exageration the nitrate is actually reading below the scale of the test kit but it is showing a very faint pink - it's actually nearer to 0.00 than it is 0.25.

Anyway i was wondering if it could have been putting the fish from freshwater to 0.3% salt?

It looks like its too late now anyways as the fish is lyeing on it's side - ill try a big water change.

Thanks guys.

Guest fishyfishyfish

I'm not sure without looking at the kit - it's the less dangersous of the 2 (nitrite or nitrate - why couldnt they give them totally different names?) and the kit says it is harmless at the level it is at.

I would go as far as saying my water params are perfect but the only thing that might have been a shock to the fish was the 0.3% salt.

Anyways it died but the others are all fine so i'm confused as to why!!

Thanks again

You should never put your fish directly from freshwater to .3% salt. It is a big shock. If I were you I would do two large water changes two days in a row (maybe 75-80%).

let me see if I can find that post about salting....

ah yes...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

this is by Trinket, she's really good about stuff like this.