My Husband Said He'll Help Me Dig A Pond!

buffdoll

Guess what! My husband said he'd help me dig a hole for a new pond in the back yard! He's not the digginging the yard type so we'll see what happens! lol Here is a before picture of where I'm going to put the new pond. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas or tips?

house.jpg

I have something like this in mind for it:

gallery20page20after201.jpg

Koi1.jpg

KoiPond1.jpg

pondwithbacklong2.gif

Edited by Ms. Melissa

ooh how exciting! :D

i like the second picture best.

maybe it's cuz the pond is big.

only suggestion i have is plan big!

the bigger the better. ;)

also... your backyard looks almost exactly like the backyard view of our house in texas. :)

Hi Tinkokeshi!! Do you till live in TX? My husband and I like the 2nd one the best too! It looks so big though!! How many gal do you think that one is? What price range do you think that one would be in with that many stones? I kind of like the last one too but it's to small..

I use to. Moved to Arizona 3 years ago. My sisters are still there and we still have a house up near Dallas.

I can't say I know anything about ponds... haha. :D

I was merely giving my opinion, and I figured the bigger, the better... since you can put more fish in it!

Pond fish get pretty big, so if you're planning on keeping koi or something you'll need hundreds, if not thousands of gallons.

If you're planning on keeping common's and comets, then maybe you won't need something the size of a pool. :)

Of course, best thing is to wait till someone who actually knows what they're talking about comes along. :rofl

I use to. Moved to Arizona 3 years ago. My sisters are still there and we still have a house up near Dallas.

I can't say I know anything about ponds... haha. :D

I was merely giving my opinion, and I figured the bigger, the better... since you can put more fish in it!

Pond fish get pretty big, so if you're planning on keeping koi or something you'll need hundreds, if not thousands of gallons.

If you're planning on keeping common's and comets, then maybe you won't need something the size of a pool. :)

Of course, best thing is to wait till someone who actually knows what they're talking about comes along. :rofl

I'm with you on the bigger is better and having room for more fish! I'm worried I go overboard and end up with half my yard dug!! :rofl

That IS exciting! My sister just bought a new house with a great yard, and all I can think is ...pond. Hehehe. I like the first pic, our local botanical garden has one with a little bridge like that, it's great for fish watching.

All the pictures are great ponds. I think your common theme is a pond with flat rocks around it. Since you have such a nice blank canvas (yard) to work with, try getting a hose and outlining some shapes out there. Then you can see what different sizes might look like.

For down in this part of Texas, you will want the pond to have some shade during the day, and best if it is shaded in the afternoon. Summers are just so hot! Also, I know that water lilies need at least 5 hour of direct sun a day to bloom, so think about what sort of plants you want in the pond. It looks like you don't have the problem of lots of trees, like I do. At least you won't have to be clearing leaves out of the pond all the time!

If you have a sprinkler system, you'll have to be careful of the pipes, and maybe move things around.

Final word of advice. Call the gas company to find out where the gas pipes are! You really don't want to hit those when you are digging. :o

Comet-girl can give you some great advice as she did this too, I remember the pics and thread.

I like the first pond pic best.

I like the first one too! It's always nice to have a bridge so you can actually view your fish, otherwise you will just be standing on the bank and peering in! I would definately go to the local landscaping retailer and price rocks and plants and all that sort of thing for all the sizes you are thinking about. That way you know exactly what you can afford.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I love the first one...because it gives a much simpler and cleaner look to the pond...and looks just perfect for the fish...with the net for them to safe from cats and raccoons...and bridge is cute..as Chrissy said wonderful to watch the guys swim... :)

I like the 2nd one too..becos of all the fancy landscaping and that one looks big and nice for the fish too...and as Cometgirl said..I would go with the flat stones too.. :) ...and she did have some excellent advice for you...I never thought of running into gas pipes... :blink: ...which is so important to remember.. :)

Wow you must be sooo exited...what fun when everything is ready...keep us posted while the work is on... :) ...pictures of you and your husband digging the yard.. :P .. :D

All the pictures are great ponds. I think your common theme is a pond with flat rocks around it. Since you have such a nice blank canvas (yard) to work with, try getting a hose and outlining some shapes out there. Then you can see what different sizes might look like.

For down in this part of Texas, you will want the pond to have some shade during the day, and best if it is shaded in the afternoon. Summers are just so hot! Also, I know that water lilies need at least 5 hour of direct sun a day to bloom, so think about what sort of plants you want in the pond. It looks like you don't have the problem of lots of trees, like I do. At least you won't have to be clearing leaves out of the pond all the time!

If you have a sprinkler system, you'll have to be careful of the pipes, and maybe move things around.

Final word of advice. Call the gas company to find out where the gas pipes are! You really don't want to hit those when you are digging. :o

Yes, your right about the hot summers! Right now I don't have any trees or anything in the back yard what so ever. It's just a fence and grass! I just called the 1-800 before you dig number (1-800-545-6005) and they are sending someone out in 2 days to mark the lines. YEA! I'm one step closer!

Now my husband and I are looking at something more this style.

wf4.jpg

I like that it's very simple and we wanted to add a deck anyway. This way it will cut out having to buy all those big stones.. and put that cash toward the deck. We get hurricanes here and I'm kind of worried that if we get hit by another really hard one it will blow those rocks into my house, windows, and the pond. I know that sounds crazy but sometimes the wins of a hurricane get REALLY strong and with the rocks being flat... what if the hard wind get under them and blow them up and off of the pond. Also, I'm not good with landscaping what so ever and I'm worried I end up with a huge lake in my yard that's an eye soar.. all though that would mean more fish!! :rolleyes:

Now I'm wanting the pond to be about 5' X 9' (or or 10') and 2' on one end and 2 1/2 or 3 feet on the other end. The angle is so that the pond debris can go to one site for easy clean up. I was also thinking of digging it so there are plant shelves inside. I'm so excited I want to run outside with a shevel and start digging a hole everytime I think about it!!!!!! Oh, and I want to stock it with butterfuly koi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, wow, a totally different look, but really nice! I like how you could get views from all around the pond. Even after a heavy rain around here, you could still go out and admire it. We got maybe 3 inches of rain last night, and I'm not stepping out on my grass until it dries out. Way too squishy!

Thats a good point about the squishy ground after a rain. I didn't think of that.

This is the photo that gave me the idea. I kept doing Google Image searches and came up with the photo idea I posted above.

ponds47.jpg

Thats a good point about the squishy ground after a rain. I didn't think of that.

This is the photo that gave me the idea. I kept doing Google Image searches and came up with the photo idea I posted above.

ponds47.jpg

I like this better! It's more understated and makes the pond look more like a natural thing. I dunno, with the deck on all four sides it's obviously man-made. Although that would be good for viewing. And If you really aren't into landscaping, the fully surrounded one would be the better choice! gee, i'm glad I don't have to make this dicision, I would keep going back and forth and never get the thing dug!

ponds47.jpg

I like this better! It's more understated and makes the pond look more like a natural thing. I dunno, with the deck on all four sides it's obviously man-made. Although that would be good for viewing. And If you really aren't into landscaping, the fully surrounded one would be the better choice! gee, i'm glad I don't have to make this decision, I would keep going back and forth and never get the thing dug!

Your right! This is a hard decision to make! If I went with the 2nd deck choice I'd make the pond in it bigger. I'm not good with landscaping at all!!! Who knows.. maybe having the pond will get me into it more.

Here is another pond picture but it doesn't have a natural look either. It's pretty much the same as the other one but without the deck.

Jordan-pond-1.jpg

Well I called that 1-800 before you dig number and the guy cam by the house today to mark the lines. As it turns out.... the place I picked for the pond works!! So it's a go!! I took the little orange flags he left on the back of my property and used them to mark out my pond.. after I marked out 10' X 4' it was WAY to small !!! Looks like it's going to be more like 15' X 5'. I'd love for it to be 3' deep but I'm just not sure how the digging is going to go for my husband and I. I don't know how hard of a job it's going to be to dig so I may be lucky to have it 2'. If anyone knows of any digging tips please let me know! I guess we are going to rent a tiller to help with the work. I'd love to hire someone else to do the work but that's more money I can spend on the pond and I'd like to keep the cost under $1,000. Do you guys think that's possible??

DSC_8200.jpg

DSC_8202.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this for now then adding the deck in a few months or so.

1420933424_012f8bc907.jpg

I have to figure out how I'm going to add the waterfall though. I want it to be something like what's in the first picture. Any ideas?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the equipment? What type of filter, UV light, pumps, etc.. I was told that Firestone makes a good liner and Pondmaster's Mag Pumps are good.

Sorry for all of the questions everyone! Does it look like the waterfall in that photo is UNDER that shelter in the middle of the pond? and how do will the wood hold in water? Is it treated with anything?

Well, I don't know anything about wood in ponds, but someone else posted recently about an above ground wooden pond. I think he used a liner inside the frame.

As far as waterfalls go, you just need a pump strong enough to raise the water as high as you want your waterfall. That's where a local shop is useful. Mine gave me options, and supplied all the pipes and fittings. I've got a Pondmaster pump and I'm very happy with it. On the picture you have, to me it looks like the water is flowing over the top of that table thing. Maybe it is pumped up through a hole in the middle?

Another thing to consider is where you will get your electricity to power your pump. I already had an outdoor outlet from a previous landscaping job, but it can definitely be an extra expense.

Here are some ideas for a DIY filters:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=69026

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=36326

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=63756

I actually treat my fountain pot as a large filter. The water flows up through it and I stuffed it full of bio-balls. I did put a pipe in at the bottom like a skippy filter so the water swirls around.

Ok. My husband IS NOT going to be digging me a pond after all. Instead it looks like we'll be paying the nice people at the pond store. lol :rofl I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!! lol

When I was at the store today the person I spoke to said 2' deep would be good enough and most people don't go deeper than that but right after that he said our area has lots of different predators such as raccoons, heron, possums, etc.. that would harm my fish! So now I don't know if I should go ahead and dig 3' deep like I wanted it or make it 2' deep and make the pond larger. Also, don't know if I should add plant shelves or not. I don't care much about plants (it's more about the fish for me) but I keep reading that they help make shade for the fish and help with other things such as keeping algae away.

Can I mix butterfly koi and goldfish? Can fancy goldfish such as lionheads and orandas go with butterfly koi? If I did mix them would they cross breed?

With luck we'll be breaking ground in about a month! :)

Ok. My husband IS NOT going to be digging me a pond after all. Instead it looks like we'll be paying the nice people at the pond store. lol :rofl I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!! lol

:tomuch: That made me laugh right out loud!

:tomuch: That made me laugh right out loud!

It made me giggle too! I told him I wanted the pond bigger. After I measured the spot it looked soooo small in such a big empty back yard so I figured if I'm going to put in a pond... well heck! Lets put one in! Now I'm wanting it to be about 3,000 gals. Something more like 13' X 10' X 3'.

Wow, that will be a great sized pond!

I remember a while ago I read some posts from another member who lives around here and keeps fancies outside. Here is one of his posts:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=67364

I haven't seen him on lately, but his main pond is like one of the pictures you had. I think he said it was gunnite or something, like pools are made out of.