Jump to content

When I Get My New Fish


whitner

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I've read several posts where others have described their method of quarentining new fish. I have Prazi and aquarium salt ready. I've read that it's safe to use both at the same time, am I right? I have Medigold as well. Should I put him on it or wait until I see if anything bad crops up? I just want to make sure that I do things right. It seems that I just have bad luck with smaller goldies. And the one I want is small.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Exactly correct.... and normally I would not comment further, but I wanted to clarify a bit as to WHY MediGold and other antibiotic foods and treatments should NOT be used for qt purposes.

MediGold (MetroMeds, JungleMedicated foods, etc.) are foods that are laced with antibiotic drugs. These drugs are specifically used for killing bad bacteria - targeting various classes and types of bacteria depending on the type of antibiotic. Some antibiotics work on one sort of bad bacteria and others work on others.

Bacteria, because it has a VERY short life, reproduces very quickly. Because it can have many many generations in a very short period of time, it is capable of "adapting" to something that is harming it. In any population, there will be some organisms that are "stronger" than others. When a population is treated to kill them all, some will die quickly and others not so quickly. That is why when you dose with an antibiotic drug, you need to treat for the FULL duration prescribed. The majority of the bad bacteria may die within days, but there will always be some that are "stronger" and more resistant to the antibiotic treatment. For most of these, repeated treatments will be enough to kill them off, but you need to be persistant in treatments.

Think for a moment what would happen in you were to treat a population of bad bacteria for only a short time, using Antibiotic A, leaving a small, but viable, population of resistant bacteria. These select bacteria will now be the ones that are reproducing - createing a whole population of resistant bacteria. If you were to try to treat them with Antibiotic A again, they would not die out - sure you might get some, but the majority would NOT. That is called "Drug Resistance". That type of bad bacteria is now resistant to Antibiotic A and cannot be treated with it - it will not work.

There are always some "bad bacteria" in any environment, in any organism. For most, the numbers of bad bacteria are small enough and weak enough that that organism's systems are more than strong enough to control them without medical help. The creature - let's say a fish - will only need medical help when, because of stress or some other factor, the bad bacterial population grows too large for their natural immunities to handle.

If you treat the fish with Antibiotic A when it has only the normal amount of bad bacteria in its system, you will selectively kill off the bad bacteria that are susceptible to Antibiotic A. Since the fish is not having problems at the time, you will see no difference in health - good, bad or otherwise. But now you have replaced the small population of bad bacteria in the fish - and replaced it with a population of bacteria that is resistant to Antibotic A. Let's suppose that next week, the fish is stressed with parasites or some other stressor - and the bad bacteria starts to multiply - past the numbers where the fish can handle them naturally. When you treat with Antibiotic A..... NOTHING happens. The drug does not work. You will have to start trying Antibiotic B.

This is why you must never treat with an antibiotic drug UNLESS there is a specific reason to do so and you can come as close as possible in diagnosing WHAT bad bacteria you are dealing with and WHAT antibiotic drug may work. If you do decide to use an antibiotic treatment, it is essential that you complete the WHOLE round of doses - to kill off ALL the bad bacteria if possible -leaving no resistant ones to reproduce.

Too many people have used antibiotic drugs in the past years when they were not needed and/or for less than full treatments. This has created a HUGE problem of many many populations of bad bacteria that are very resistant to most antibiotic drugs. MediGold does not work on many bad bacterial infections, now-a-days. Many of the other, readily available drugs are also becoming more and more useless - as the bad bacteria are becoming resistant through constant exposure and misuse.

HEard of the various "drug resistant" infections out there, recently? Those were created by people misusing antibiotics - using them for viral infections, not taking a whole regiment as prescribed, etc. We have a limited number of antibiotic drugs available to us. As the economy slumps, there will be less and less money available for medical research to find new ones. If we ruin the ones we have through careless misuse, we will soon be in BIG trouble.

So ..... by all means USE an anitibiotic treatment for your fish if you can identify a specific reason to do so. They work.... But do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use an antibiotic drug for general qt work, for "just a few days" to "help a bit" or for idiopathic problems ....shotgunning in the dark with hopes of helping a sick fish. It is like taking potshots at that tiny little tiger cub - forgetting the the BIG MAMA cat is just around the corner and you are making her MAD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
HEard of the various "drug resistant" infections out there, recently? Those were created by people misusing antibiotics - using them for viral infections, not taking a whole regiment as prescribed, etc. We have a limited number of antibiotic drugs available to us. As the economy slumps, there will be less and less money available for medical research to find new ones. If we ruin the ones we have through careless misuse, we will soon be in BIG trouble.

That makes me so sad! And scared. :(

Thanks. I wasn't planning on using MG unless I needed to, but I wanted opinions anyway. But if the fish begins to show signs of stress, like bottom-sitting or something, should I use it then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Only administer antibiotics if you have a confirmed infection. In addition to the gross misuse of antibiotics (penicillin is rapidly becoming useless), antibiotics only work on certain types of bacteria (depending on the bacteria's protective layering), so choosing the correct one through diagnosis is important. Also, there are common internal parasites that fish may get, and these require completely different medicines from bacteria.

Blindly treating for suspected disease is almost always going to be worse than withholding treatment (with the exception of using salt and maybe prazi). This is why we have our Disease Diagnosis/Treatment section.

Edited by A Penguin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...