Fins

seheap

Is it normal to find a "pet quality" fish with non-paired fins? eg. My ryukin only has one anal fin. Is this normal to see? Perhaps as the result of a cross between a common/comet and a fancy?

About half my goldie fry turned out with one anal fin. It must be a strong genetic trait. We have to remember all the fancies go back to the original one anal finned carp. The double flowing fins were so selectively bred. Show fish have to have them.

There are many very beautiful goldfish with only a single anal fin. In Asia, it is not something culled for because they tend to view and judge the quality of their fish from above thereby never seeing anal fins. However in the U.S. we tend to view our fishes from the sides. In competitions, single anal fish are given less points compared to fish with two anal fins. I does not affect the ability or life span of the fish in any manner

My Blue only has one anal fin. I never even noticed it for over a year and then all of a sudden one day it was like, "WOW! He only has one anal fin!" He's the only one of my kids who does have only one anal fin, but clearly it can happen.

Ok good! Like Spider Man said I have been viewing my new ryukin from above in the QT when I moved him I noticed he only had one anal fin. I also noticed that while I was calling him a girl....he's a boy. Darn, I really would have liked to raise fry!

Fish with single anal fins are VERY common. It is very common to see a great number in a spawning of fry - even between high quality show fish - having double anals themselves. It is simply a fact. I will also breed single anal fish if they have other really nice qualities I am looking for in a fish.... for single anal fish CAN spawn double anal fish. The fact that they do not have matched anal fins does not have to rule a fish out for breeding, either. If possible, though, I choose to pair a single anal fish with a double - to try to maxmize the double anals in the resulting fry.

It used to be said in the standards (in my area of the US) that single anal fins would only be considered at show when comparing two fish that were "identical" in every other consideration. The lack of double fins would then be used as the "tie breaker" between the two fish - the double anal being awarded over the single. Recently, though I have seen the standards moving more and more towards Asian standards for Ranchu/Lionheads and more and more UK standards for other breeds - ie: double anals. There has been much more consideration given to the double anal, the matched double anal or the lack of the double anal in the past year or so than I have ever seen in the past.

In my opinion, a fish with a single anal that is extraordinary in all other ways is STILL a great showfish and one that I will breed. I will not cull a fry that is extraordinary in all ways except for a single anal. I will ALWAYS select a double over a single when all else is equal, but I will not discard a single unless there are other reasons. If you wish to breed an extraordinary fish with a single anal fin - go for it. You may be pleasantly suprised as to the outcome.

Thanks Daryl! As usual your reply is extremely informative!

Also, I have just now realized that we live in the same area of the US, I'm from Chicagoland also! I live between Orland Park and Joliet. What a small world. Now I will always ask you about upcoming shows and maybe the local goldfish club. It's so cool to have a mod from my area!