Need Info On Cleaning Gravel In Containers

Guest GoldyHubby

Guest GoldyHubby

My wife has a tank that has gravel and live plants in them. It's time to do a complete water change but she does not know what to do to clean the gravel so that it doesn't hurt the plants. The gravel cleaner doesn't work in the containers. What does she need to do to clean all the gunk out of the gravel?

Guest GoldyHubby

I forgot to add that she was told her goldfish has tapeworms. She is concerned about the fact that eggs might be in the gravel. She wants to know how to make sure that the fish doesn't keep getting the worms because he has been on the medicated food for 7 weeks and she is still finding them in the tank.

If you have larval forms in the gravel (inevitable) you are probably going to have to sacrifice the plants and get that gravel cleaned really well. You should do it in old tank water to maintain what beneficial bacteria you have living in the gravel. Then you need to medicate the tank with the very mild (on fish- lethal on worms) praziquantel- water born. The medicated anti- parasite food you are feeding (which one is it?) will not kill the larval forms in the water-as your wife surmises. Are you sure these are cestodes/tapeworms? There are various kinds.

Guest GoldyHubby
If you have larval forms in the gravel (inevitable) you are probably going to have to sacrifice the plants and get that gravel cleaned really well. You should do it in old tank water to maintain what beneficial bacteria you have living in the gravel. Then you need to medicate the tank with the very mild (on fish- lethal on worms) praziquantel- water born. The medicated anti- parasite food you are feeding (which one is it?) will not kill the larval forms in the water-as your wife surmises. Are you sure these are cestodes/tapeworms? There are various kinds.

Yes, she said you told her that is what they are. She told me to tell you that this is about Elvis. We have to distroy the plants? She said she was using Jungle antiparasite food and that Elvis was acting funny the last two weeks when she did the three days dose so she isn't doing it any more right now. Also said that his lump is much smaller, but still there. She said she has Prazi.

Oh okay :whatjust: Hello Roni's hubby :D

Prazi will not hurt plants, you can work around them. Roni knows what shes doing I was just trying to cover a few bases in case this was a newbies question.

Use the prazi again then.

What kind of acting funny I wonder? The Jungle antiparasite food usually works well.

Guest GoldyHubby
Oh okay :whatjust: Hello Roni's hubby :D

Prazi will not hurt plants, you can work around them. Roni knows what shes doing I was just trying to cover a few bases in case this was a newbies question.

Use the prazi again then.

What kind of acting funny I wonder? The Jungle antiparasite food usually works well.

Sorry, I don't type fast. She said he would hide after he ate and would bottom sit for about an hour after. She also said to tell you that he was darting alot for a while aftere eating too. She wants to know when you say to use the prazi again, do you mean on the fish too? also should she salt the water? do I put the prazi in the bucket with the rocks or in the tank? and do I remove the plants from the gravel? how long do I need to leave the gravel in the water? She says she is not sure but she knows that prazi works for about 3 days. She said to mention the tank water is at 76 degrees. and she wants to know if she should remove the charcoal filters and if so how does she prazi them?

She said he would hide after he ate and would bottom sit for about an hour after. She also said to tell you that he was darting alot for a while after eating too.

Okay stop the food. Can you soak all his food in garlic extract? Or get hold of garlic tabs (D-ALLIO-PLUS). Internal parasites hate garlic and it can be a good alternative to regular meds.

She wants to know when you say to use the prazi again, do you mean on the fish too? Yes

also should she salt the water? No

do I put the prazi in the bucket with the rocks or in the tank? In both.

and do I remove the plants from the gravel? It would be best yes...because prazi has to be stirred into gravel a little to catch all.

how long do I need to leave the gravel in the water? She says she is not sure but she knows that prazi works for about 3 days. Yes 3 days

She said to mention the tank water is at 76 degrees. and she wants to know if she should remove the charcoal filters and if so how does she prazi them?

Let me double check on that and get back to you. I dont use charcoal filters..

Guest GoldyHubby

ok. Where would I find this garlic? We have real garlic, can she feed him this and if so, raw or cooked? and what size pieces? is this in addition to or in place of the jumpstart food that she is feeding him right now? Sorry I am asking so many questions but I don't know what to do and my wife is not able to do much. She says to tell you she misses you and is looking forward to getting back to as soon as she can.

Edited by GoldyHubby

Im so sorry. I know because you are posting Roni must be having probs with her eyes and feeling rough right now. Please give her a big warm hug from me- she is very missed round here and has so many friends here who care about her. We also all are rooting for Elvis and her.

Garlic extract is just a paste of ground up raw root ginger. You can make your own in a blender or with a potato masher maybe. You can soak regular pellet food or dry/frozen brine shrimps in it for 2o mins and then feed. You could also feed tiny pieces directly but maybe he wont eat them like that.

No problem with the questions at all. Keep them coming. Best to get the details all sorted before you start tank maintenance. I believe you dont have to remove any kind of filters with prazi btw.

Guest GoldyHubby

She says to say thankyou. Her eyes are doing okay but she is having other problems. typing and sitting in this chair hurts her. She told me to tell you that she will be back soon as she gets this problem under control. I also want to say thanks. I know she misses many people here, she talks about all of you alot. Shes stubborn and I know she is going to overcome this problem just like all the other she has had to deal with.

You said garlic paste but also say you make it out of ginger. Am I understanding that there is no garlic in this paste?

Edited by GoldyHubby

LOL! I am so sorry I meant garlic!! I am actually cookingwith ginger in the kitchen in between posts, *screws head back on the right way round and refocuses..yes GARLIC not ginger :rofl

We all miss her! And stubborn is good, very good when its pointed in the right direction :thumb:

Guest GoldyHubby

Im supposed to get clarification on the garlic. how long with the garlic paste last? can it be used over and over or just once then tossed? is the fish food to be soak everytime he eats or just once a day? how long does he need to eat this garlic soaked food? She also wants to know if it would be better to make a garlic gel food and can she make it with the jumpstart food? where can I find the recipe for it? I think that is all the questions she had.

She said to tell everyone she misses them all too and thanks them for the well wishes.

Yes a garlic gel food is fine. With Jumpstart better still.

Its supposed to work pretty fast so maybe one week is enough of garlic potions. No specifics for you there. A garlic paste should keep 2 or 3 days just fine in the fridge I think. Dont have to toss it till then. I wouldnt keep it as long as a week.

HEY JC! This is Lynda! I came out to visit you guys that one time, remember?! Glad to see you here! I've missed seeing Roni around and have been worried about her! It's so sweet of you to be on here helping her out! It really is. You have no idea how much it means when a goldy lover has a supportive family. We have some very close, supportive couples on here and it's so great to see it when couples can share this interest that many think is a bit strange! lol!

Anyway, yeah, gel food is pretty easy. Just soak the Jumpstart in a little water and get it all soft and mushy (soaking pellets can take a while so either be prepared to let it sit for quite a while or pre-grind the pellets into a powder) and then mash it into a paste then mix in the garlic paste (the whole concotion should be a cup or a little less and about the thickness of a cream sauce) and heat it up on the stove, take it off the heat and then add a packet of gelatin and mix it up really well and pour it in a container/tray and refrigerate it. Then cut it in cubes to feed or, as I like to do, squish a little cube through a garlic press and serve little gel food worms!

Guest GoldyHubby

Hello Linda. Yes I do remember you. My wife misses all of you here. How are you doing? This is her thing but I told her I would help since she has been having so many problems with the flareups. The doctor has finally figured out her problem but its been very hard on her. She is beginning to get better and you know how determined and stubborn she can be. She will be back soon.

How much of the fish food and how much garlic? I will get the geletin for her tomorrow. How long does the geletin food last and does it need to be refridgerated too?

Gel food should be refrigerated. You'll be making a large quantity at once, so most of it should be frozen... unless somebody else says otherwise (I know freezing can damage fat-soluble vitamins). Regular fish food doesn't have enough water content to grow bacteria and mold, but the gel food will.

Hi Everyone. :)

Thank you all so much for your kindness to my husband. I am slowly getting back on my feet. I'll explain it all later when I can sit here longer.

Right now I need to find out how to make this gel food that Trinket told me to make and Lynda explain how. Jesse picked up the gelatin for me, but I am not sure how much of the jump start food to use and how many cloves of garlic to add to it. I know Lynda said about a cup total, but is that just the food or what? I just want to use one envelope since Trinket said to feed for one week. I tried to figure it out by reading in the food section, but those recipes are big time and I just need a strong? garlic food for the parasites for now.

Thanks for all your help and I do indeed miss all of you sooooo much. :hugs

Hey Roni...I cannot be of much help with the food question you have...Just wanted to say HI... :) ...hope you feel better...just read the entire thread...it was so nice of JC to help you with Elvis..Get well soon..we all miss you too.. :heart ..hope Elvis feels better too.. :)