Swim Bladder Issues For Weeks

Guest Lena

Hi there, i just joined the site and im really hoping you can help me out.

ive had my goldfish for almost 2 years and it hasnt been until these last couple months that hes really had any problems. hes been upside down and floating near constantly for a couple weeks now and its really starting to get me worried. i tried to hold off on feeding for a few days and ive fed him peas but nothing is helping.

ammonia levels were around .1, ph was around 7.8 and nitrite is at 0. i dont have a test kit for nitrate so im unsure what the levels are. (these tests were all vials and drops) the water temp. is at 78 (i heard a higher temperature might help). the tank is a 20g, its been set up for almost 5 months, ive got an aquaclear 30g filter and i did a partial water change earlier this week.

i used to have another fish but he recently died. i think it may have been from the stress of this fish being sick that caused him to die but im unsure, he just stopped eating and wouldnt even take when being hand fed. the current fish still eats though with my help. i was feeding him sinking pellets but i switched to only peas for now.

i thought maybe he would get better in time but its just not happening and its really worrying me. he started to get a weird red spot on his belly from being out of the water so i put an upsidedown collander in the tank. i figured this way he can be completely submerged and the water can filter through.

ill take any advice you can give me. ive looked on every site but i cant figure out whats wrong :(

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/c...ac/IMG_7751.jpg

that was him a few months ago

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/c...ac/IMG_0078.jpg

a few minutes ago.

its hard to see but his side is red and there are blood steaks in his fin on that side.

Awww..poor baby...he is sooo adorable..Sorry he is going thru all this.. :(

I see ammonia level is 0.1??..this is the first thing you will have to fight...you can do 50-70% water change every 12 hours in order to keep the ammonia levels low...0.1 is high for the fish to be able to stay healthy..it will definitely stress it out...Some questions here...What has caused the ammonia levels to rise??..was there a bump in the cycle??..anything unusual??what is the ammonia reading for the tap water???..In any case 0.1 ammonia is not acceptable for the fishie...so please do a huge water change as soon as possible...

Is there an airstone in there??..Would be gr88 to have one..helps increase the oxygen in the water...helps the fish to recover better....

Aquaclear 30...has a filtration of 150gph..not bad for a 20 gallon with a small fish...

Can you throw some light on how your other fish died...anything unusual you saw...what did you feed them then....was he or this current guy a new addition or any info???

Once you get the ammonia levels to be 0...this can be achieved by constant water changes...I would really suggest getting nitrate drop tests too..Also what brand of test kits do you have for the ammonia, pH and nitrites???

Only after the water parameters are sorted out...you can use aquarium salt and see if it helps....But I would really suggest first doing water changes and post new test results please...more than half of the problems can be solved with good water only...

you could read Salting info here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...opic=60876..but don't start on it...salt should be added only when the tank parameters are absolutely fine...and you will have to test the water more often and more water changes in order to keep the parameters healthy enuf for the fish...Keep us posted.. :) ..wud love to help more..you are doing good...helping and caring to make it right for the fish is the first step...things will get better.. :)

Ok...I am sorry...is ammonia 0.1 or 1??...I mean it should be ideally 0...but 1 is far more dangerous than 0.1...if 0.1...a huge water change like 80%-90% can solve the issue...you can then start salting the tank...please don't use any table salt or any other kind of salt...API aquarium salt is really good and very cheap...its available in most chain pet stores...the way you salt is as follows....0.1% salt means 1 teaspoon salt per gallon...so for 20 gallon as urs...you can take 20 TEASPOONS of salt...mix it in a container in the tank water...mix it separately...do not directly add it to the tank...it needs to dissolve completely before going in the tank....once dissolved add it to the tank slowly in the area where the filter splashes..this will ensure mixing of the salts completely in the water...and then let the goldfish adjust to it..you can also cover the tank by wrapping a beach towel around the tank..careful that this cloth does not fall into the tank...let the goldfish stay in there for at least 12 hours...and see if it brings abt a change in it...78 temp is fine when salting...otherwise you might want a cooler temp...and add an airstone...it will drastically help the guy to breathe better...at higher temperatures the oxygen dissolved in the water is very less...

Feeding..I am not sure...dont overfeed the peas cos that can cause over flushing of the system...umm...so wait up for further instructions for some experienced member/moderator...I hope someone answers more...if not I can request a mod to check it out if possible...they will be able to diagnose and help further and better than me.. :) ..Is he still upside down???? Oh and by any chance was this guy or the one that died a new addition to the tank??..I know I asked this in my previous post..but just trying to think if it is also a case of flukes...maybe not..but just thinking..you could use one more filter on your tank...that will help the filtration tremendously...

haha yeah the ammonia is actually .1, not 1. i was going to say i really didnt think .1 was so horrible, had me a little worried hehe. hes still floating but being underwater in the collander looks like its helping his stomach heal up a bit. ill have to do a water change tomorrow after work and then start salt treatment and see if that helps. i also picked up some stresscoat+ (it said it helps repair damaged tissue so i wasnt sure if that would help his belly? wanted to ask before using it)

the one who died earlier wasnt that new, ive had him for around 6+ months or so. and i do have an airstone and a huge bubble wand to get oxygen in there. lemme know if you have any other advice. i really appreciate everything :)

ammonia levels were around .1

ph was around 7.8

nitrite is at 0.

i dont have a test kit for nitrate so im unsure what the levels are.

water temp. is at 78

the tank is a 20g

its been set up for almost 5 months

ive got an aquaclear 30g filter

and i did a partial water change earlier this week.

i used to have another fish but he recently died. i think it may have been from the stress of this fish being sick that caused him to die but im unsure, he just stopped eating and wouldnt even take when being hand fed. the current fish still eats though with my help. i was feeding him sinking pellets but i switched to only peas for now.

i thought maybe he would get better in time but its just not happening and its really worrying me. he started to get a weird red spot on his belly from being out of the water so i put an upsidedown collander in the tank. i figured this way he can be completely submerged and the water can filter through.

ill take any advice you can give me. ive looked on every site but i cant figure out whats wrong :(

a couple of questions before i get to suggesting anything.

1. how often and how much water do you change out when you perform water changes?

2. other than stress coat, what have you been adding to your water?

3. when your previous fish was ill, what kind of symptoms was it displaying?

4. after your other fish died, did you clean out your tank?

5. what kind of peas have you been feeding your fish? how are they prepared?

a couple of tips before knowing further info.

1. try to space out your answers that way when mods are reading, the answers are in a list format and not in a huge paragraph. sometimes it's easy to miss information if it's all in one block of text. :)

2. with fish, the best way to keep them healthy, aside from diet, is to make sure the water is in excellent condition. if possible, see if you can buy a nitrate drop test on it's own. i think it may be between $3-5 at a local pet store.

3. the aquaclear 30 only turns over 150gph maximum. for a 20 gallon tank, you want at least ten times turnover meaning 20x10=200gph so another smaller power filter or another aquaclear 30 would do wonders for your tank. :)

with the red spots and red veins in the tail, i'm wondering if it's not your nitrate levels that are too high. nitrates at high levels are just as harmful to your fish as high levels of ammonia. if you're able to get a drop test, that would be your best way to check if nitrates are your problem. in the meantime, sunshine girl gave you excellent advice. do a big water change. :)

:( sorry to hear about your loss.

i hope it doesn't put you off the hobby of keeping fish.

if there's ever anything else we can do to help, we're here!

and most koko members are here to help as best we can. :k055:

I'm so sorry about your goldie. But you did all you could in comming here and that's what matters.

Just a note. If you have problems where your goldfish is floating at the top, look at the kH levels of your water. Fiona had floating probelms she's recovering from now and that's what I think is the most probable cause. Too low kH levels are bad for Goldfish and can cause fluxuating pH levels. So get that checked if it happens again.